Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 10:17 PM

296 posts, read 532,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
And it the RIGHT of other tenants Not to have to duck Flying objects while sitting out enjoying their Balcony. This is one time I with the LL... Safety First!
Not sure what you're even talking about?

Old 09-27-2015, 10:24 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,548,972 times
If they released you from the lease agreement but didn't pay for your costs to move out would you be content with that?

Old 09-27-2015, 11:38 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post

Not sure what you're even talking about?
REALLY? Think about it How would be outside enjoying your balcony & some ones umbrella almost hits you!

Old 09-28-2015, 04:01 AM

35 posts, read 56,609 times
Can you put your shade on the inside of the house? Is it that kind of shade? I used to have reflective curtain liners in one of my apartments. I have looked everywhere and can't find them anymore. They kept moderate heat on one side of the curtains. I have also used aluminum foil taped to unfolded boxes to reflect the heat back out the window. I heard that can crack glass in extremely hot places, so use with caution. There are expensive roll down shades you can buy that are supposed to keep down the heat. In other words, you may have to opt for a solution that comes from inside your home.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
I've got a couple friends and one family member that are lawyers. I don't mind at all.

And yes if they offer us to move out I will gladly take that route after leaving negative reviews for them everywhere possible. Its idiotic of them to offer 5x10 balconies that you can only have a chair bike or plant on. We rented expecting to be able to use that space to have a sip of tea, or have an evening conversation, store some plant supplies in the outdoor container etc.

Lease does not mention balconies or outdoor areas at all.

And I'd like to remind some of you landlords that leases are there to protect tenants as well. Thats also why states have well defined tenants rights laws. Some of the replies in this thread are truly shocking. Power hungry landlords that think they are above the law because they are the land owner. This isn't the fuedal system. We are a nation of laws and being a land owner does not okace you above them but you are held to them as equally as are your tenants.
I am with you el_greco. It's petty and stupid to tell people to like it or move out. This isn't the feudal system, and I am glad you wrote what you did. I am so sick of landlords who allow tenants to suffer so they don't take on any risk.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:13 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emouse View Post
Can you put your shade on the inside of the house? Is it that kind of shade? I used to have reflective curtain liners in one of my apartments. I have looked everywhere and can't find them anymore. They kept moderate heat on one side of the curtains. I have also used aluminum foil taped to unfolded boxes to reflect the heat back out the window. I heard that can crack glass in extremely hot places, so use with caution. There are expensive roll down shades you can buy that are supposed to keep down the heat. In other words, you may have to opt for a solution that comes from inside your home.

If they won't allow an outdoor shade, do you really think they're going to allow tin foil on the windows? Nothing says class by tin on your windows.

The OP needs to understand that he can enjoy his tea and conversation on his patio, no one is saying he can't. However, he needs to abide by the community rules, like them or not. It's not unreasonable to expect tenants to keep their balcony neat and clean.

If the OP wants to break his lease over something as petty at this he can, but don't expect to do it for free.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:54 AM

I didn't think they would allow tinfoil. But it's an idea to post in case they want to try at their own risk.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
REALLY? Think about it How would be outside enjoying your balcony & some ones umbrella almost hits you!
I never had or wanted an umbrella on my balcony. Are you in the wrong thread?

Old 09-28-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
If they released you from the lease agreement but didn't pay for your costs to move out would you be content with that?
mildly satisfied. they will still get negative reviews everywhere so that people know. it may be the only solution for everyone in this situation though

and thanks to poster for idea about other shades but the point was to be able to sit outside without the western texas sun directly in your face. the blinds already installed are sufficient for inside the house

Old 09-28-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emouse View Post
I am with you el_greco. It's petty and stupid to tell people to like it or move out. This isn't the feudal system, and I am glad you wrote what you did. I am so sick of landlords who allow tenants to suffer so they don't take on any risk.
Truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.