Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:40 AM

204 posts, read 1,503,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
My spouse served 20 years in military, his dad served 26 years, son is currently active military with 3 deployment and a 4th on the horizon. They are trained to kill, but they are also taught discipline and respect. Go to their CO and you will get results.
Amen. Twenty-one year Air Force Vet here. No excuses - you're a disgrace to your military service if you conduct yourself any differently "off base / off post" than you would "on base / post" as the only military civilians see is YOU either acting like a professional or a jackass. Once in the past I had to contact the AF Office of Special Investigation and the individual's First Sergeant. Problem solved, but I was disgusted at the members lack of discipline and respect. Landlords: Get the chain of command / unit / duty phone info before you sign the lease. That way you'll know who to contact if they pull the Jekyll - Hyde routine. If it's too late for all that, catch them in uniform. Note the unit patches (mandatory wear). That would also be a good starting point to tracking down the CO when phoning the military installation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 08:05 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMOGAJAD View Post
Amen. Twenty-one year Air Force Vet here. No excuses - you're a disgrace to your military service if you conduct yourself any differently "off base / off post" than you would "on base / post" as the only military civilians see is YOU either acting like a professional or a jackass. Once in the past I had to contact the AF Office of Special Investigation and the individual's First Sergeant. Problem solved, but I was disgusted at the members lack of discipline and respect. Landlords: Get the chain of command / unit / duty phone info before you sign the lease. That way you'll know who to contact if they pull the Jekyll - Hyde routine. If it's too late for all that, catch them in uniform. Note the unit patches (mandatory wear). That would also be a good starting point to tracking down the CO when phoning the military installation.
Excellent post. Unfortunately, the basic requirements for basic armed forces enlistees have dropped hugely in the last several years. It can end up a bit of a mess when a substandard minimal achiever of limited intelligence and limited education becomes an active member and, after serving a couple of years duty either/or/both inactive/active, is adjudged a responsible person simply by dint of wearing the uniform and thus is in a protected zone.

Your advice to potential landlords is priceless!

Old 08-17-2012, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,164 times
We have a military tenant that is renting month to month. We issued him a 30 day termination of lease two weeks ago. We have concirns as to his willingness to vacate. Not sure if this is a good time to contact his commanding officer or would this be a form of harrassment since we are not evicting just terminating the lease. I would like to have all ducts in a row as well as giving his officer a heads up so we know all is aware.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:15 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,591,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakgrace View Post
We have a military tenant that is renting month to month. We issued him a 30 day termination of lease two weeks ago. We have concirns as to his willingness to vacate. Not sure if this is a good time to contact his commanding officer or would this be a form of harrassment since we are not evicting just terminating the lease. I would like to have all ducts in a row as well as giving his officer a heads up so we know all is aware.
Give him a chance to get out on his own... by involving his Co you are opening a **** storm on him without need.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:37 PM

804 posts, read 2,886,638 times
Quote:
You will get a better response if you make your own post instead of piggy backing on a very old post.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:52 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,334,632 times
Quote:
Agree with what the others said. Don't know what you mean by ducks in a row so that all are aware & how that should, in your mind, involve notifying his commanding officer... you'd need to elaborate, see a lawyer and/or learn your local laws, the latter of which I'd recommend regardless of outcome in this case.

Firstly, your concerns aside, he has 30-days in which to vacate, which you must legally allow. Just because you don't hear him furiously packing doesn't mean he won't leave. Why would you want to contact his place of employment? His living situation has nothing to do with his work situation, military or otherwise. I'm sure this must be illegal in all states unless you've got some sort of landlord contract deal with the local military base and/or his commanding officer, which is a situation I've never heard of before. If not, think about what you're suggesting... how would you like your landlord to contact your employer should they have a problem with you or your employer contacting your landlord for the same? It's humiliating, none of the other's business, illegal, as stated & as another poster said, you're opening a HUGE can of worms on him & then perhaps, on yourself, maybe even in a court of law for which you'd garner little to no sympathy from the judge.

Pardon my bluntness, but you sound stupifyingly out of touch of your local landlord tenant state laws & professionalism as a businessman/woman. I strongly suggest you find out what they are... you can purchase a book from Nolo Press's website on L/T laws... CA has it's own book of laws, btw. Should he not vacate... & he has 'til midnight of the day the lease expires, then you can see a lawyer to have a registered letter written to him, saying he'll be evicted if he doesn't vacate... again, your local L/T laws come into play as far as dates/course of action.

I was a landlord for many years & only utilized mo-to-mo leases. Whenever I had a problem tenant & wanted to dissolve the lease (before any eviction), I paid my lawyer $100 for a registered letter, delivered by the local sherrif (I believe that was an additional $20) to ask them to leave in 30-days or face eviction. No matter how angry or unstable the tenant, when a lawyer is involved, in my experience they always moved & I never had to take the eviction route. In 30-yrs, I dissolved leases with only 2 tenants. Additionally, once a lawyer is involved, the tenant now must deal only with him & not you, which I found to be a huge bonus & worth the $120. This way there was less stress for me & I felt confident & more comfortable letting the lawyer act as authority.

My advice is to wait out the full 30-days, then see a lawyer immediately if he does not leave (do not enter the apartment if he doesn't vacate) & leave his commanding officer, girlfriend, friends, co-workers, other tenants & local grocer out of it. Your problems with your tenant are between you & your tenant. Should this situation ever occur again, hire a good local L/T lawyer & let him/her handle the issue legally, forcefully & professionally. If you prefer, you could see a lawyer now, but his/her letter may extend the date of vacation. You may be able to request a free 15-30 min consult... check yelp, your local bar association, local lawyer helplines, local law schools referral programs and/or ask other landlords for referrals. I had one employer years ago which offered a benefit of having one free 1-hr consult with a lawyer on any issue, once/yr. Ask.

A problem tenant can happen to anyone, despite our hard work at avoiding it. Good luck & learn the law. You're in business, you've no excuse not to know all your local L/T laws. It will only save you hassle in the future & give you the knowledge you sorely need.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
In defense of the military (I'm a retired veteran), the service members are on a different plain. They spend their days with a unbreakable chain of command, have been trained to kill, work with weapons and explosives, and some incredible military machinery. When it comes to partying, they compare taverns in Germany to Panama, and are familiar with someone who has been killed, all while knowing they could be called on alert. They do deserve a little lattitude, but their CO is trained on how to handle them. If I'm in a restraunt or bar and see a uniformed service person, I pay their tab with mine, and say thank you.
Really? My husband is also a veteran with 16 years of military service. What does being in the military have to do with getting a little lattitude? Most of my past tennants where in the military here at fort hood destroyed my places, late on their rents, loud parties, disturbing the peace, and cost me alot of money. I had nothing but, problems with military renters.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
^^^ You may not realize that you're replying to a post from five years ago.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,784 times
I've had good and I've had bad tenants that were military. Worst I've had is Marine tenants. They haven't been bright enough to change air filters and do normal maintenance so when they move out, it's a log for work and expense for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting