Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:49 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

Do you have any counertops? If not, get one of those folding plastic tables. Buy a dish pan and a water pitcher. Carry water in the pitcher. After you are done with the dish pan, it can be poured either down the tub drain, or down the toiket, depending on how dirty it is.

There is a nice selection of small and efficient kitchen stuff in the camping section of any store that carries sporting goods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 10:32 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Does it have a bathroom? With running water to a sink or a tub?

If so? And you're willing to deal with it? You get what you pay for.

What's the difference in rent between this illegal apartment (because it is most likely illegal if it doesn't have a kitchen sink - and you're going to be back on this board complaining about your LL who is renting an illegal apartment to you 3 weeks after you move in) and another illegal apartment that does?

Old 10-02-2015, 10:58 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLife_Girl View Post
The bold part made me laugh ..

Ahh what you do for love, but in seriousness.. how difficult was it washing dishes in the bathroom sink?

I'm going from having a full kitchen to nothing and having serious second thoughts.
It was very tiring. There wasn't any counter space and the sink was small, so I would take a stack of a dishes or utensils in there, wash a few, dry them and put them away, and then do the same for a few more, and so on. If I had not been young and madly in love, I would have thrown a fit but he made it all seem worthwhile.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:01 PM

Ok. I just read your "how to break a lease" thread.

Here's the facts:

Quote:
§ 5:28-1.4 Facilities
(a) Every dwelling unit shall contain a kitchen sink of nonabsorbent impervious material, at least one flush type water closet, a lavatory, and a bathtub or shower, available only for the use of oc- cupants of that dwelling unit.
http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions.../njac_5_28.pdf

Also from that other thread where you said:

Quote:
Rentals here do move fast, especially since it's near the city and easily walkable for nj.
Just out of curiosity, what does that mean, exactly, when you say "easily walkable for NJ"?

Last edited by Informed Info; 10-02-2015 at 11:10 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 11:31 PM

25 posts, read 147,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
It was very tiring. There wasn't any counter space and the sink was small, so I would take a stack of a dishes or utensils in there, wash a few, dry them and put them away, and then do the same for a few more, and so on. If I had not been young and madly in love, I would have thrown a fit but he made it all seem worthwhile.
Wow that sounds exhausting with dinners made from scratch.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Ok. I just read your "how to break a lease" thread.

Here's the facts:

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions.../njac_5_28.pdf

Also from that other thread where you said:

Just out of curiosity, what does that mean, exactly, when you say "easily walkable for NJ"?
Well most of the places in NJ are spaced out and hard to get around without a car.
The area of the rental, I could easily live and shop without a car if necessary.

Oh and thanks for the link.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLife_Girl View Post
Well most of the places in NJ are spaced out and hard to get around without a car.
The area of the rental, I could easily live and shop without a car if necessary.

Oh and thanks for the link.
Ok - so you meant living in a "walkable" town in NJ, not living in a NJ town that one could walk over the GWB to get to the city (for entertainment, shopping, etc.). I wasn't quite sure where you were coming from. I misunderstood.

You are more than welcome.

Take good care of yourself & the best of luck to you.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Does it have a bathroom? With running water to a sink or a tub?

If so? And you're willing to deal with it? You get what you pay for.

What's the difference in rent between this illegal apartment (because it is most likely illegal if it doesn't have a kitchen sink - and you're going to be back on this board complaining about your LL who is renting an illegal apartment to you 3 weeks after you move in) and another illegal apartment that does?
I'm sure it's illegal, I won't deny that. And yes it does have a bathroom with running water, so push comes to shove I'll grin it and bear it for the duration of the lease. And next time not to go out of the country and delay apt hunting.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Ok - so you meant living in a "walkable" town in NJ, not living in a NJ town that one could walk over the GWB to get to the city (for entertainment, shopping, etc.). I wasn't quite sure where you were coming from. I misunderstood.

You are more than welcome.

Take good care of yourself & the best of luck to you.
Yes sorry for the confusion, it's a walkable town. I suppose one could walk across the GW bridge, although that may be a long walk.

Thank you Informed Info.

Last edited by CityLife_Girl; 10-03-2015 at 12:30 AM..

Old 10-03-2015, 12:10 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I've seen modular kitchens as small as 22 x 42... includes a sink, hot plates and refrigerator.

They are not cheap... but being portable and on wheels avoids some code issues... still need a drain, water tap and electricity...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting