Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 02:53 PM

27 posts, read 31,621 times

Advertisements

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post in June (except the criticizers).

I believe my neighbor is a drug dealer. he has friends coming in and out all day every day.
They were even stupid enough to make a drug deal right in front of me one day.

I've already gone to the police. The police are not doing anything. it's been 6 months already -
that should have been enough time for them to investigate this and do something. The have not.

I started going to the HOA manager - and together with incident reports from the security guards
on their bad behavior, managed to get them violations for their bad behavior (such as noise, threatening
the security guards, threatening and even attacking a neighbor). This only made them
mad. It seems that the HOA manager was not passing these violations along to the RE manager.
Nice.

Last Tuesday, I discovered that I have the same RE manager as the drug dealer neighbor.
I told him about the problems with noise and threats, he told me to send an e-mail letter
to his daughter (who works in the business). I did not tell him I think they are drug dealers -
that would be legally problematic. What I did do was forward to them my letter to the HOA
manager, in which I described the people coming in and out all day every day, the cars from
California, etc.

I sent them my youtube videos of my neighbor's friends yelling at and threatening a
neighbor, a youtube video of them partying loudly past midnight, a link to the police event
number from the day they assaulted that neighbor ( across the street) - which was his event
number. I referred them to the HOA manager for verification of the night shift security guard's
incident report - from the day they threatened him, and another time they got got close to
threatening him ( they did yell at him).

Now the swing shift security guard has warned me that the mood is really ugly, since I
got them the violations for their party which lasted until 1:20 am, that he's worried for
my safety, and recommended that I not make any more videos of them doing anything.
(They do talk to that guard).

I then told him that I've gone to the RE manager, and that I'm now just waiting to see
what he's going to do about it. The guard is now somewhat relieved, but wants to be
updated.

Ok: My question is about what to do, if my RE manager does not take care of this.
I've received no word from them about what action they've decided to take.
Things are better now, so I think they were talked to, but they have a history
of not respecting authority, and of going back to their old ways quickly.

I read this article:

Landlord's Responsibility for Drug Dealing and Other Crimes | Nolo.com

and I have a question about this:

Quote:
Landlords have some degree of legal responsibility to provide secure housing. This means they must take reasonable steps to:
  • protect tenants from would-be assailants, thieves, and other criminals
  • protect tenants from the criminal acts of fellow tenants
  • warn tenants about dangerous situations they are aware of but cannot eliminate, and
  • protect the neighborhood from their tenants' illegal activities, such as drug dealing.
By what means would he do these things?

Should I tell the RE manager about the security guard's warning? They do seem to be
somewhat more intimidated now, but who knows how long that will last. Should the
RE manager be telling me what action he actually did take?

I'd like him to just evict the guy, but then I might actually be safer if he stays here,
and the situation is controlled.

Thanks for your thoughts, if positive or useful.
If it's not positive or useful, or is blaming in any way,
I will not be grateful.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 02:59 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,551,499 times
Would you be willing to post the videos on here for us to view?

Old 10-04-2015, 03:04 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Sadly, the best option is "move to a better neighborhood."

Even if that landlord kicks that particular tenant to the curb, another will eventually take his place. If not at that particular house, then across the street. Or two doors down. Or at the corner. You may as well try to hold the tide back with a broom.

There's a reason why some neighborhoods in this city look like a scene out of "Breaking Bad."

Move to where the riff-raff can't afford the payments. And don't buy property in such places -- the headaches aren't worth the ROI. My aunt had to experience this first-hand to understand it.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:07 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Call your local PD, they need to know so they can shut it down.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:24 PM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Read his post. He did that already, with no results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Call your local PD, they need to know so they can shut it down.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:29 PM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
To the OP,

I seem to remember your old thread. You need to move. It's as simple as that.

IIRC, you're renting, so you have little invested in the property. The police don't seem to care. You're not in a position to compel the HOA to take further action. You can't really force the management company to do anything.

If you were an owner, and could rally other homeowners in the neighborhood to put pressure on the various parties involved, and also had an investment to protect, it would be a different story. But you have what is an advantage in this situation. You can walk away fairly easily.

Take the hint.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:35 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
I concur with the posters who say find another neighborhood. My neighborhood may be boring, but we are all friendly to each other, like each other, and have zero crime, nor disturbances. It's a mix of renters and owners in 89074. Stepford Wives and soccer moms. Boring, but quiet and safe.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:38 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Read his post. He did that already, with no results.
State police drug task force should be contacted if no results from local PD.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:52 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times
I second the move away solution. Would you rather win an argument or stay alive?

Old 10-04-2015, 05:53 PM

469 posts, read 494,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
state police drug task force should be contacted if no results from local pd.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting