Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 07:55 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,181 times

Advertisements

I am renting a 2 bathroom apartment and I have a problem with black mold creeping down the sides of the toilet bowls. I searched online and found a method of killing the mold that lives inside the toilet rim using a fountain pump and chlorine bleach. When I took the lid off one of the toilet tanks, I found the stuff growing on the sides of the tank and the fixtures above the water line. It's in every nook and cranny of the flush mechanism. This was the better of the two toilets, so I'm sure the other one is just as bad if not worse. I put in a chlorine tab not too long ago so below the water line looks fine, but of course it is very humid inside the tank and the chlorine could not reach above the water line. What is the best method for killing this mold so it doesn't return? I'd rather just take care of it myself instead of calling maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 08:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
You must be on well water?

Here, city water is highly treated and chlorinated...

Bleach will work or mold killers like Tilex...

Mold coming down the outside of the tank would indicate very high moisture levels without ventilation... could be from multiple showers in a short period of time with water condensing on the tank porcelain which is colder due to the tank water being cold.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:07 PM

Not sure what the water source is, but I do know the city has a reservoir. The mold is not growing on the outside of the tank, but on the inside between the water line and the top of the tank. Hard to ventilate that space without leaving the lid off all the time. I have to keep the lid on the bowl closed because my cat thinks the toilet is a better source for a drink than his own water bowl. That might be contributing to the mold growth down the inside of the bowl. I just don't want to kill the mold in the bowl and rim and have the stuff growing in the tank recontaminating the bowl.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
If the mold is only on the inside of the tank... you could go with one of the those chlorinated bowl cleaners.

Truth be told... I doubt most people ever look inside their toilet tanks...

Old 10-15-2015, 11:24 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
you might want to remove all the insides of the tank, bleach the heck out of it and replace with all new parts. Fill the tank with water up to the top when you do this and leave over night. hopefully you have 2 bathrooms?

do not use those tablets that you drop into your tank long term, or the glob of gunk on the inside upper bowl (how gross is that to look at every time you use the bathroom? EYUK) because these agents that stay in the toilet all the time will deteriorate it over time.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
How do you know this is black mold? Have you had it tested?

If you're that concerned, empty the tank and scrub it out with bleach and do that every so often to keep the mold down. Also run the fan in the bathroom during and after a shower.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:48 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
When I was on well water, I was told that black residue was due to a high concentration of a mineral in my water. Such as water high in iron will leave an orange stain. (I think...) The black was from something like magnesium or mag something or other. Could be that?

Old 10-16-2015, 04:52 PM

No, it's definitely mold. The water never touches the area where it's growing, and bleach got rid of it. I'd just like to make sure I get rid of ALL of it so it doesn't come back.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:19 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
No, it's definitely mold. The water never touches the area where it's growing, and bleach got rid of it. I'd just like to make sure I get rid of ALL of it so it doesn't come back.

I wasn't doubting it was mold, I was doubting it being black mold. Everyone assumes they have black mold but really have no clue. That's why I asked...did you have it tested and was it confirmed to be black mold?

Just keep using the bleach solution every so often and run your fan when showering

Old 10-16-2015, 05:49 PM

840 posts, read 773,289 times
Can you open the window --& close the door-- so the cat can't get in to drink from the open toilet?

Vinegar kills mold, too, and it is much safer to use!

So, you might want to spray-mist the area with vinegar from time to time.

In fact, it has been found that application of vinegar & hydrogen peroxide, one after the other,
kills more bacteria than bleach does.

"Bleach Vs. Vinegar – Which Removes Mold Better?"
http://www.networx.com/article/bleach-vs-vinegar-mold-removal

"Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide as Disinfectants"
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2001/07/21/vinegar.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting