U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2015, 04:01 PM

11 posts, read 16,824 times

Advertisements

What made the search illegal? He came into our home without notice and got caught by my housekeepers while we were out of the country on vacation in June. He let himself while they were here and scared the crap out of them when he entered our master bathroom upstairs while they were cleaning it. He knew we were on vacation and had no good excuse when I asked him about it. He didn't even try to lie about haven given us notice because he didn't. Said he just wanted to see how things "we're going" and do a "general inspection"....his words, not mine. I haven't liked him since honestly. We have young daughters and it was a creepy thing to do. He just got caught plain and simple. It was deliberate done while we were not here. Sorry, you can't justify it without a damn good reason like a repair or emergency or something but nope, he had nothing to say.

We sold our home in April because we are relocating next summer and are buying our new home out of state with cash. So, I guess I suck at being a "renter" because we have always owned our homes since two months after graduating college in the 90s. We are anything but section 8 either and have perfect credit scores. I have weekly housekeepers, gardeners, no pets and we are super clean, so nothing to hide. I am just creeped out by the June incident and astonished he would even try again. We are going to be in Europe for three weeks in November and I just know he is going to try something again.

I hope he really is just paranoid/ careful about his property and not gong through my daughters unders while we are not here because when you act like a sneaky creep, that is what I think you are.....I am 100% sure we would have never known he entered the property if our housekeepers hadn't been here.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 04:46 PM

12,018 posts, read 10,385,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujurus1 View Post
What made the search illegal? He came into our home without notice and got caught by my housekeepers while we were out of the country on vacation in June. He let himself while they were here and scared the crap out of them when he entered our master bathroom upstairs while they were cleaning it. He knew we were on vacation and had no good excuse when I asked him about it. He didn't even try to lie about haven given us notice because he didn't. Said he just wanted to see how things "we're going" and do a "general inspection"....his words, not mine. I haven't liked him since honestly. We have young daughters and it was a creepy thing to do. He just got caught plain and simple. It was deliberate done while we were not here. Sorry, you can't justify it without a damn good reason like a repair or emergency or something but nope, he had nothing to say.

We sold our home in April because we are relocating next summer and are buying our new home out of state with cash. So, I guess I suck at being a "renter" because we have always owned our homes since two months after graduating college in the 90s. We are anything but section 8 either and have perfect credit scores. I have weekly housekeepers, gardeners, no pets and we are super clean, so nothing to hide. I am just creeped out by the June incident and astonished he would even try again. We are going to be in Europe for three weeks in November and I just know he is going to try something again.

I hope he really is just paranoid/ careful about his property and not gong through my daughters unders while we are not here because when you act like a sneaky creep, that is what I think you are.....I am 100% sure we would have never known he entered the property if our housekeepers hadn't been here.
Time to put in some hidden cams.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:36 AM

11 posts, read 16,824 times
I just don't think I should have to put in cameras. I just want us to be left alone and feel secure we won't be creeped on again. We are fantastic renters though after reading some stories, I can see why landlords are paranoid.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:45 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,960,715 times
Quote:
I just don't think I should have to put in cameras. I just want us to be left alone and feel secure we won't be creeped on again. We are fantastic renters though after reading some stories, I can see why landlords are paranoid.
You have a bad landlord and situation here. It would really bother me too. I guess the best answer is to move but barring that, I think I would do the camera thing too and post a sign indicating that videotaping is in progress. I feel bad about your situation.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:58 PM

9,540 posts, read 6,015,095 times
Quote:
I just don't think I should have to put in cameras. I just want us to be left alone and feel secure we won't be creeped on again.
Ever consider that the landlord may have chosen to enter your unit while you were away on vacation specifically in order NOT to disturb you? I'm not saying it was right (he is legally obligated to give 24 hours' notice), but you may well be reading bad intentions where none were intended.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:29 PM

13,279 posts, read 35,668,996 times
You gone for WEEKS What a perfect time to check on things Not a thing wrong with that. Only way the maids would be scared is IF they are doing something wrong. What if they left the water running? Windows open YOU going to come back & check on them? Be thankful the LL checking on things while your away. Making sure no ones broke in & rob you!

Old 10-19-2015, 10:48 PM

11,575 posts, read 16,639,582 times
Quote:
You don't have to install cameras! You are in California (a citizen state) so your landlord cant just decide to come and inspect with just a notice. The regulations in your state limits your landlord's rights to entry. Just send a letter outlining the regulations and tell him to cease the disruptions. Odds are he won;t renew your lease, but you'll have some privacy going forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting