Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 08:51 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,755 times

Advertisements

According to us, we never had bedbugs while we were living there. After we moved out, the landlord charged us for a bedbug fee. They had to replace the carpet and found bedbugs under the carpet after we left. We refused to pay for it because we deny bringing them in.

Let's say they took pictures of the bedbugs and they indeed did find bedbugs after we left. If they take us to court, who would be likely to win? I'm wondering if the bedbugs traveled from units surrounding us because they were UNDER the carpet, not crawling around on us. Aren't apartments responsible for bedbugs to a certain degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 08:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Curious how long you were living there...should help answers.
I will be curious to hear from lawyers, also!

Gosh, they can be in luggage from a motel...so sorry.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:13 AM

I was living there for a year. My roommate lived there a year before me, so she lived there two years total. I did sublease it this summer. I also got a used mattress and box spring in March. But we never had any bites so I highly doubt it's from either of the two scenarios. I also moved out in September and still have no bedbug bites.

If we brought it, I'm sure we would have been bitten by now. I know bedbugs can hide for a long time without food, but if we brought it and they're out in the open, why would they hide and not eat on purpose???

This is in the state of Virginia btw.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:51 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
FYI, not everyone reacts to bedbug bites. Some folks can be bitten all over and never develop any itchy welts.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:05 AM

305 posts, read 569,300 times
I second what Aredhel said.

My boyfriend when visiting me a few years ago brought some bedbugs into my apartment that had stowed away in his suitcase while it was in the luggage hold of the bus he traveled in on. He was staying for two weeks. I immediately started getting red itchy bite marks all over. He did not experience anything. Thankfully, my LL was nice enough to do treatments with no charge.

Just because you aren't getting bitten does not mean that they weren't there. You might have both just been lucky enough to be immune to the effects of their bites. You may not ever see any either. I only managed to catch 3, and that was by getting up in the middle of the night, turning on lights and searching for them.

That said, they could have easily wandered over from the neighboring unit in the month since you vacated the property. Chances are, if there were bedbugs in your unit when you lived there, you would have brought them with you in your furniture.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:36 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Neighbors BF had a rash from Bed Bugs She didn't! So she too was in denial. Her apt + 3 had BB But only the bf in the 1st apt had a rash from them!

Old 10-21-2015, 10:38 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,550,907 times
You can refuse all you want, they have a contractor finding bed bugs and charging for it. That's all they need to be victorious in small claims.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:09 AM

"May a landlord bill a tenant for the cost of bed bug treatment?

Unfortunately, many landlords do not understand the law, and believe they may bill tenants for the cost of bed bug treatment. There is no legal authority that allows a landlord to require a tenant to pay for the cost of bed bug treatment, other than for the added cost of treatment due to a tenant’s delay in reporting or for treatment due to carelessness, misuse or neglect by the tenant. Anything in the lease that says otherwise cannot be enforced by the landlord against the tenant."

Bed Bugs in Rental Housing | VaLegalAid.org - A guide to free and low cost civil legal information and services in Virginia

Old 10-21-2015, 02:01 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
"May a landlord bill a tenant for the cost of bed bug treatment?

Unfortunately, many landlords do not understand the law, and believe they may bill tenants for the cost of bed bug treatment. There is no legal authority that allows a landlord to require a tenant to pay for the cost of bed bug treatment, other than for the added cost of treatment due to a tenant’s delay in reporting or for treatment due to carelessness, misuse or neglect by the tenant. Anything in the lease that says otherwise cannot be enforced by the landlord against the tenant."

Bed Bugs in Rental Housing | VaLegalAid.org - A guide to free and low cost civil legal information and services in Virginia
That is all well and good but we don't write laws that allow people to do things we write them to prohibit things, drunk driving, murder, possession of narcotics, etc.

You need to find the law that says what a landlord must do regarding bes bugs in order to have any ground to stand on, and replacing carpet is not normal treatment.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:11 PM

This got taken care of. They're dropping the charges.

I'm just a little paranoid of my current situation. I hope I didn't bring any with me. I only had a bed, no couch or anything. And the carpet they replaced was my roommate's so they were in her room, on the other side from my room. If I had them, I would have been bit by now.. right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting