Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 07:47 PM

5,290 posts, read 5,199,703 times

Advertisements

They did give you notice. They gave you until Friday to get it in compliance. No they will not tow it since you moved it, they couldnt care less where you put it as long as its not on their property. That is not your home, it is your rental. You have to follow the rules. You are renting on private property. Their rules.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:19 AM

296 posts, read 528,987 times
Doesn't mean the rules can't be dumb as #$%-

See many typical uptight pro landlord / landlord apologists in this thread. Anyway the real reason landlords like to tow so much is because they are usually working with one tow company in particular who gives them a kickback in return for getting all the business.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,885,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
Doesn't mean the rules can't be dumb as #$%-

See many typical uptight pro landlord / landlord apologists in this thread. Anyway the real reason landlords like to tow so much is because they are usually working with one tow company in particular who gives them a kickback in return for getting all the business.

I bet if they checked with the city, they would find that this is a city ordinance as well. HOAs, deeds, landlords, community associations and local laws normally have something regarding this issue.

This isn't about pro landlord anything...it's about complying with the law/lease. The law/lease states your car must be registered, licensed and insured, why is that such a big deal?

Old 10-28-2015, 05:35 AM

44,979 posts, read 59,955,217 times
Many municipalities have the same rules for unlicensed vehicles on private property such as non-apartments. It usually doesn't involve towing but fines can be imposed (some of this can be state law).

Some municipalities also require landlords to submit a list of tenants names as well as vehicle information for all rentals to Code Enforcement or another department.

HOAs have the same vehicle rules, especially if the units are townhouses.

What happens in some cases for multi-family developments is that people will move out, take the tags off the car and then just leave it sitting there.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:13 AM

296 posts, read 528,987 times
I'm not saying its not against the law. I'm saying the reason landlords snitch in a situation like OPs is because they want the kickback profit.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:03 AM

44,979 posts, read 59,955,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
I'm not saying its not against the law. I'm saying the reason landlords snitch in a situation like OPs is because they want the kickback profit.
You can prove that of course.

The reasons land lords "snitch" is because: a. it's part of the lease terms and b. they'll be cited as the property owner for having an unlicensed vehicle on their property.

As a note, I'm not a landlord.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:09 AM

15,705 posts, read 20,223,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Think about it this way, if the police were to pull over the car they would most likely give a "fix it ticket", not tow or take possession of the car.
If your tags are expired, 99 times out of 100 they will tow the car.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:28 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,643,608 times
Quote:
I am writing this post today to express my frustration with my LL as well as ask a question. Today I came home from errands to find a notice slid under the door, stating that my roommate was being cited by the apartments for having expired tags. I suppose we are all the police now. Furthermore this notice said comply by Friday or the vehicle would be towed off property. Okay as you can imagine I'm pretty peeved off. First off roommate is out of town through Monday so I have no way to deal with this. Second should I call them or just ignore it or what? I'll be calling the police and reporting the car stolen if they DO try to tow a car from our own home. Come on now.... What right do they have. And my question why do they care about car tags, it's not like it's dangerous or causing an eyesore. Genuinely curious here folks!
Why doesn't your roommate take care of his own responsibilities and get his registration renewed before it expired

Old 10-28-2015, 07:39 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,669,159 times
Your roommate knew the tags were going to expire...yes? Why didn't they take care of that before they left the country? Instead of leaving the mess with you?
We all have to play by the same rules. We own our rural 1 acre here, BUT we still are required to keep vehicles properly registered and tags current. As well as insurance.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:00 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,557,818 times
Quote:
I am writing this post today to express my frustration with my LL as well as ask a question. Today I came home from errands to find a notice slid under the door, stating that my roommate was being cited by the apartments for having expired tags. I suppose we are all the police now. Furthermore this notice said comply by Friday or the vehicle would be towed off property. Okay as you can imagine I'm pretty peeved off. First off roommate is out of town through Monday so I have no way to deal with this. Second should I call them or just ignore it or what? I'll be calling the police and reporting the car stolen if they DO try to tow a car from our own home. Come on now.... What right do they have. And my question why do they care about car tags, it's not like it's dangerous or causing an eyesore. Genuinely curious here folks!
Most Counties in our State have no cars allowed in driveways, streets that have expired tags. We usually check on it when we go out to inspect a property for other issues or when rent is not paid.

If it is an apartment complex I would understand it even better as it will create an environment of illegal cars being kept as it is just not allowed to operate or have a car in site with expired tags.

Put the car in a storage place or garage and you are fine or pay to have the tag up to date and if you don't want to pay than have the person owning the car be in compliance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting