Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 10:05 AM

13 posts, read 28,241 times

Advertisements

My parents rented a house in california. They pay part of their rent with section 8 money. They have been paying rent for the last 10 years. They are both over 60 years old, they live in San Gabriel, CA part of los angeles county.

The landlord gave them 30 days to leave and the landlord would not give a reason.

My parents are old and don't have money to leave. What should we do?

California is a tenant friendly place, doesn't the landlord have to pay them to move out since they are old and they have no money to move? Also they did nothing wrong, no drugs, nothing.

What should we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 10:16 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
I am not sure about CA, but most of the time, if they are a month to month, the landlord does not need to give them a reason, or pay their expenses either.

I went through the same thing here in NYC. It truly stinks....I hope they find something.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:18 AM

in california i heard some tenants getting paid $10k to leave the house...?

Old 11-04-2015, 10:22 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpop View Post
in california i heard some tenants getting paid $10k to leave the house...?
That's called "keys for cash" and is usually to get a tenant to leave before the lease is over. Your parents have no lease it seems, so the landlord only needs to give them the amount of time determined by statute (law) - usually 30 days' notice.

The landlord isn't required to determine whether your parents can afford to move or to base his decisions on the age of the tenants.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:29 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
From some quick research online..

It appears that in CA, if they terminate the lease without cause, once it's month to month on a Section 8, they must give 90 days notice.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:30 AM

they have no lease its on month to month. but i think in california it is different.. if they stayed there longer than 10 years and they are old.. it is tough to get them out...

anyone knows the details for southern california laws?

Old 11-04-2015, 10:36 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
doesn't the landlord have to pay them to move out since they are old and they have no money to move? Also they did nothing wrong, no drugs, nothing.

What should we do?
No, doesn't work that way. They just need to use their Sec8 voucher and move to another place that will accept it.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:37 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
My parents rented a house in california. They pay part of their rent with section 8 money. They have been paying rent for the last 10 years. They are both over 60 years old, they live in San Gabriel, CA part of los angeles county.

The landlord gave them 30 days to leave and the landlord would not give a reason.

My parents are old and don't have money to leave. What should we do?

California is a tenant friendly place, doesn't the landlord have to pay them to move out since they are old and they have no money to move? Also they did nothing wrong, no drugs, nothing.

What should we do?
If they're on a month-to-month, 30 days notice is all they need. They don't need to provide a reason, there's no reason why they need to give your parents any money. The owners probably want their property back for some reason, maybe to live in, maybe to sell.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:38 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
they have no lease its on month to month. but i think in california it is different.. if they stayed there longer than 10 years and they are old.. it is tough to get them out...
This has no bearing on the situation at all.

If they don't leave, the landlord can start an official eviction process and they, and their stuff will eventually be put out on the front lawn.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:46 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
There might be some difference relating to the whole section 8 thing, but I doubt it. I would help them try to leave as soon as possible....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting