Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 11:31 PM

8 posts, read 9,134 times

Advertisements

I rented 2 apartments from her, 1 month for a studio ($3100) and 5 months for a 2 bedroom ($4500)
I signed the lease and moved in to the studio, at this point I have not signed the lease for the 2 bedroom but have already put my security deposit and first month rent for the 2 bedroom. I also gave her 1 month broker's fee of 4500.

During the viewing, I asked her if I could stay less than 5 months in the 2 bedroom. She said "yeah. Thats the good thing about short term rental. You are not really bound by the contract. As long as you give 30 days notice you are good. The day before I signed the lease, I changed my mind and wanted to back out from the 2 bedroom. So I aksed her if I can move out after a month since I have already paid for the first months rent. She checked with the owner and she told me I couldnt because i agreed to lease for 5 months. I did agree at the beginning but I have not signed the contract and changed my mind. I told her to change date on the contract. She said "no. The lease stays the same."

So now I have 2 options.
1. "Since you are forfeited your lease you can stay for the one month however we still have to waiting for the new tenant to lease the apartment in order for you get you security deposit"
So I can move in for the one month I paid for and get back my security deposit until they find a new tenant. I thought it was risky signing the contract.
2. Not move in at all and I will get me security deposit back but first month's rent gone.

I chose option 2, cos I would be risking my security deposit by signing the 5 months lease.

So, my concern is, Am i entitled to get back the remaining of my broker's fee back?
Their policy is 50% of monthly rent for 1-2 months lease and 1 month rent for 3-6 months lease.
Since I only stayed for 1 month, the broker's fee should be 1550 only, but I paid 4500 cos I thought I would be moving in to the 2 bedroom apartment.
i asked her about it and she obviously said it's non refundable. But i dont really trust her. Wondering if I can take the case to small claims court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 09:58 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
You said you didn't sign a lease for the 2 bedroom but you gave them money toward it? It isn't the broker that sounds shady but you who seems naive... I would never give money toward a rental before signing... Is there more to this story?

Old 11-06-2015, 10:33 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
I'd like to know where a studio apartment is $3100 a month. That seems high, even for places like NYC.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:15 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'd like to know where a studio apartment is $3100 a month. That seems high, even for places like NYC.
Bay Area California is my guess. People are literally renting tents in their backyards for around $1000/month.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
You said you didn't sign a lease for the 2 bedroom but you gave them money toward it? It isn't the broker that sounds shady but you who seems naive... I would never give money toward a rental before signing... Is there more to this story?
Thats actually because I was overseas and I had to wire the money so that they could hold the place. so I was unable to physically present to sign the contract.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:19 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,268 times
Did you sign a fee agreement with your agent? That's probably going to have a clause(s) that will explicitly state when a commission has been earned. As well, really important to know what state this is all taking place in.
Generally speaking, most states have real estate statutes that state a commission is owed to a broker once a "meeting of the minds" has taken place. You originally agreed to the 5 month lease, then decided to back out; that original agreement normally constitutes a meeting of the minds, but it all varies state-by-state. For example, that is the law in NY state, but in NY City, you only get paid at the closing table.

As for your case, you're asking for 50% back because you only ended up staying just a month; however, your original lease term was supposed to be for 5 months. That's what the commission was based on, and just because you decided to move out early generally doesn't entitle you to recoup any of that commission; it's already been earned as the broker performed how you asked them to. Your changing of your mind after the fact doesn't come into play in regards to the fee.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Bay Area California is my guess. People are literally renting tents in their backyards for around $1000/month.
And some of us are still have nothing going over 2k... and almost zero turnover...

Plenty of high prices making Bay Area Headlines... just remember the Bay Area is quite large.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
Did you sign a fee agreement with your agent? That's probably going to have a clause(s) that will explicitly state when a commission has been earned. As well, really important to know what state this is all taking place in.
Generally speaking, most states have real estate statutes that state a commission is owed to a broker once a "meeting of the minds" has taken place. You originally agreed to the 5 month lease, then decided to back out; that original agreement normally constitutes a meeting of the minds, but it all varies state-by-state. For example, that is the law in NY state, but in NY City, you only get paid at the closing table.

As for your case, you're asking for 50% back because you only ended up staying just a month; however, your original lease term was supposed to be for 5 months. That's what the commission was based on, and just because you decided to move out early generally doesn't entitle you to recoup any of that commission; it's already been earned as the broker performed how you asked them to. Your changing of your mind after the fact doesn't come into play in regards to the fee.
Yeah Im in NYC. I did sign the fee agreement and it states everything is non refundable. Guess I have to let ut go. Thanks for your info.
I am currently waiting for my deposit. It's been almost 3 weeks no update from her about it. Gonna wait for 30 days and write a formal letter if it havent received it by then.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:26 PM

774 posts, read 1,778,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycutegrace View Post
Yeah Im in NYC. I did sign the fee agreement and it states everything is non refundable. Guess I have to let ut go. Thanks for your info.
I am currently waiting for my deposit. It's been almost 3 weeks no update from her about it. Gonna wait for 30 days and write a formal letter if it havent received it by then.
The contract could say one thing, while the laws and courts could say another. In CA at least, it's illegal for LL to double-dip: hold you to the lease agreement while renting to someone else. Also, they have a duty to try to find other tenants.

With the money you decided to lose, I say, it might pay to talk to a lawyer.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:38 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
The contract could say one thing, while the laws and courts could say another. In CA at least, it's illegal for LL to double-dip: hold you to the lease agreement while renting to someone else. Also, they have a duty to try to find other tenants.

With the money you decided to lose, I say, it might pay to talk to a lawyer.
I'm a broker in NYC, where the OP is, and unfortunately, LLs absolutely can double-dip here.
However, now knowing that OP is in NYC, they do have some sort of case: as I mentioned earlier, brokers in NYC only get paid at the closing table; unlike state law, a meeting of the minds is not necessary for a broker to have earned their commission, rather all contracts must be signed.
Since OP didn't actually sign the lease for the 2BR, the broker isn't necessarily entitled to that commission; as well, since no lease was consummated, the LL really has no right to either the security nor the first month's rent.
Considering the sums of money, I concur in contacting a real estate attorney; especially a fee agreement stating that the fee is non-refundable under any circumstances: I can't see any court in NYC actually upholding that as legally binding. Do you know if the firm in question is a member of REBNY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting