U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:59 AM

56 posts, read 41,327 times

Advertisements

So I rent a room from someone who does not own the home he resides in. I signed a month to month lease with him; at that time the owner who is his girlfriend did not know he was renting rooms and did not give him permission to rent rooms. He needed money so he tried to hide it from her until she flew in from NY and found strangers living in her room. A new lease was NOT signed.

So now that he has permission to rent rooms, he has done the following:

1) Put a limit on how many loads of wash each tenant can do. This was not done in writing; he basically just put up a sign.

2) Failed to pay the cable and Internet bills which resulted in days that neither were available. Cable TV was in the original lease.

3) Rented rooms to convicted criminals. Allowed felons to stay over as guests.

4) Made me clear out my bathroom items and stated I could no longer keep my personal hygiene products in the bathroom.

On a side not, the guy is here illegally and does not file tax returns on the items he buys and sells off Craigslist.

Can I take the homeowner to court and sue for damages? The lease I signed was not legal and the now acting landlord has changed terms of the lease twice without written notice.

Thoughts?

I can make this guy's life hell with calls to the INS and IRS. Also, I could alert the neighbors to the type of of people he is renting to.

I want to leave but feel he owes me compensation for complication my life.

Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 09:05 AM

12,018 posts, read 9,620,110 times
Move first, He is your LL the property owner is not, your lease is legal, if he made changes with less than 30 days notice that is an issue. You don't have to file tax returns on items, just on profits from the sale. He can claim to make less than the standard deductions and you can't prove how much he makes, except for the rent he charges you.

Move on, he sounds like a dirtbag that won't pay anything if you win in court, you will be lucky to get your security deposit back,

He didn't complicate your life, you got into a bad situation, only you can get out of it.

I have similar problems, in fact starting to read your post I thought you might be the new tenant that the dirtbag that I rent from has. He actually created a room in the living room to rent out, so now we share the kitchen with 5 people and the bathroom is shared by 3. And he also didn't pay his internet cable bill and I had none for over a week. But I plan to be out of here in 2 months, I actually am in the process of buying a home, if all goes well I will be out of this nightmare. I don't know if the person (and his wife) that I rent from are drug addicts or alcoholics. Also I have to deal with a miserable old curmudgeon old man roommate who gets mad when you use the bathroom or the kitchen.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:14 AM

The lease is NOT legal. When it was signed he DID NOT have permission to rent rooms from the owner and was/is not on the mortgage.

I have to deal with a drug addict, an alcoholic and a guy who has complained about parking HIS car in the driveway, candles and shower space. There is more than enough space in the shower but he moves my stuff just to be an *******.

I don't touch things that do not belong to me. I expect the same in return.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:17 AM

22,104 posts, read 25,213,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoles2015 View Post
So I rent a room from someone who does not own the home he resides in. I signed a month to month lease with him; at that time the owner who is his girlfriend did not know he was renting rooms and did not give him permission to rent rooms. He needed money so he tried to hide it from her until she flew in from NY and found strangers living in her room. A new lease was NOT signed.

So now that he has permission to rent rooms, he has done the following:

1) Put a limit on how many loads of wash each tenant can do. This was not done in writing; he basically just put up a sign.

2) Failed to pay the cable and Internet bills which resulted in days that neither were available. Cable TV was in the original lease.

3) Rented rooms to convicted criminals. Allowed felons to stay over as guests.

4) Made me clear out my bathroom items and stated I could no longer keep my personal hygiene products in the bathroom.

On a side not, the guy is here illegally and does not file tax returns on the items he buys and sells off Craigslist.

Can I take the homeowner to court and sue for damages? The lease I signed was not legal and the now acting landlord has changed terms of the lease twice without written notice.

Thoughts?

I can make this guy's life hell with calls to the INS and IRS. Also, I could alert the neighbors to the type of of people he is renting to.

I want to leave but feel he owes me compensation for complication my life.

Thoughts?
Well you haven't suffered any financial loss. There is nothing to take the homeowner to court for. You can't take someone to court got bring a Ahole. Especially since she was not informed. Now that she is informed You're subleasing from the tenant. About the only thing you got is him not giving proper notice of changes in the agreement. As long as he gives proper notice of changes there isn't much you can do about it. Yeah he had no right to enter in a lease, but what's your loss? You paid rent and got a room in exchange. You basically have a verbal lease. The initial lease was illegal. As soon as the owner knew about you but no lease was signed you're basically on a verbal month to month lease as far as I can tell

Him not filing taxes and bring illegal I'm not sure what you want to do with it. Sure you can call ICE and IRS. I don't know how far it will get you

Last edited by Electrician4you; 11-08-2015 at 09:28 AM..

Old 11-08-2015, 09:19 AM

Verbals do not stand up in court.

I'll just call the INS and IRS.

Case closed.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:28 AM

Plus he is costing me money by preventing me from doing laundry. 4 loads per month?

Now I have to a drive to a laundromat and pay to wash my clothes?

Old 11-08-2015, 09:35 AM

22,104 posts, read 25,213,570 times
Quote:
Verbals do not stand up in court.

I'll just call the INS and IRS.

Case closed.
You might want to go to your state website and search rental law. Most likely in lieu of a written lease the state steps in with a minimal regulation of leasing guidelines. So if you have a person renting and there is no written agreement there is some guideline as to legalities of renting, evictions etc. Otherwise he could basically kick you out 1 hour later after moving in.
But you go ahead and call INS and IRS. I'm sure they will get right on catching him.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:39 AM

Verbal leases are month to month. Legally each party must give a 30 day notice.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:47 AM

I'll start with notifying the neighbors. He wants to be greedy, I will as well.

Deposit returned immediately and I am allowed to live here rent free for a maximum of 30 days until I find a new place.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:56 AM

12,018 posts, read 9,620,110 times
Quote:
I'll start with notifying the neighbors. He wants to be greedy, I will as well.

Deposit returned immediately and I am allowed to live here rent free for a maximum of 30 days until I find a new place.
Good luck with that, I doubt it will happen. You seem naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting