Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 01:37 AM

836 posts, read 1,771,500 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this? Have you ever rented to Assisted Living/care facility, or ever ran one?
What kind of risks you can think of? They are willing to pay more and sign a longer contract, so in some ways, it's good for me. On the other hand, I have never done it before (well, there is always a first time for anything, right? )

One particular question - in regular rental agreement I would put down the names of tenants who can reside at property... in this case, what kind of lease would I draw? Their patients might vary, and the ones signing the lease/business owners might not even live there? (only work)

Also, if anyone got hurt while on the property, would I be liable for medical bills? Would I need to carry some kind of insurance for that, or business owners will?
I imagine I should probably ask to see their business license (or even make a copy of it)... what else? Their paycheck stubs from work would also show/prove that they are, in fact, both nurses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 01:16 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,649,840 times
Is this commercial property? Or a request that a house become a Certified Family Home?

Old 11-10-2015, 07:46 PM

32,502 posts, read 47,478,646 times
There is huge liability. I suggest that you speak to your insurance agent before you do anything else. He might be able to write you a commercial policy that covers you for a high risk business, or he might not. Or maybe he can and you can't afford it. That's the first place to check.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Is this commercial property? Or a request that a house become a Certified Family Home?
It's a SFH, with potential for duplex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is huge liability. I suggest that you speak to your insurance agent before you do anything else. He might be able to write you a commercial policy that covers you for a high risk business, or he might not. Or maybe he can and you can't afford it. That's the first place to check.
Yes, I was going to call him tomorrow, as well as try to find out more about assisted living businesses in general through local housing authority.

Any other thoughts, anyone? Please?

Old 11-11-2015, 02:05 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,699,693 times
Check with the local zoning office to see if this use is permissible in your zone. You don't want to sign a rental contract then be hit with a cease and desist order from the city/town because a neighbor filed a complaint.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:07 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,278,927 times
What came to mind for me, is that people may die in the house. They probably won't be left unattended for long, so they'd be discovered quickly, but if there has to be a special crew to come in after someone dies, that could be very expensive.

I live in a senior apt bldg (independent living), but I've heard stories from other tenants about tenants who died here, and it wasn't discovered right away, and a special team had to come from Los Angeles (this building is at the opposite end of CA), and they had to wear special suits, etc., etc. You'd want to be sure any of these types of expenses would be the tenant's responsibility and/or make sure you're insured for it.

The other thing that comes to mind is that it may be difficult to evict them if you ever wanted to, if there are patients in the unit that can't be moved because of their health.

Also, I wonder if there might be odors that would be difficult to get rid of if/when they vacate?

Old 11-11-2015, 11:38 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,649,840 times
It really sounds more like a Certified Family Home unless your state lumps them all together.

Most CFH must carry insurance, but I would definitely ask to see it.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Most CFH must carry insurance, but I would definitely ask to see it.
I am pretty sure they would, and I would make a copy of it.... but was not sure if I should have my own insurance to cover anything that might be left out? (like what?)

Old 11-12-2015, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What came to mind for me, is that people may die in the house. They probably won't be left unattended for long, so they'd be discovered quickly, but if there has to be a special crew to come in after someone dies, that could be very expensive.
Haven't really thought of that yet... but then again, I am pretty sure a person would be discovered within a few hours, at most. Plus, the cost could be included in lease agreement under "damages to the property", etc.

Quote:
Also, I wonder if there might be odors that would be difficult to get rid of if/when they vacate?
I rather expect that everything would have to be re-painted, re-carpeted and so on. Fortunately, it would be a long-term lease, so those things would almost have to be done in the end, with any kind of tenants. Larger deposit should hopefully help with that.

Quote:
The other thing that comes to mind is that it may be difficult to evict them if you ever wanted to, if there are patients in the unit that can't be moved because of their health.
Hmmm... I wonder what the procedure would be in such case...

Old 11-12-2015, 05:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,603,272 times
Properties where someone dies become stigmatized by some. Doesn't matter to me but many people care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting