Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2015, 01:50 PM

73 posts, read 137,986 times

Advertisements

Why do rental landlords who rent bedrooms in shared living accommodations list their rooms for rent under the bach and 1bdrm sections of sites?? There is a ROOMMATE section on rental sites.

When I am I looking for a 1 bedroom apartment it means I want to see ads for self contained places with a kitchen, bathroom, Living room, separate bedroom all with their own doors (Except the kitchen - Apartment kitchens dont have doors)

In the 1 bedroom section, I should not be seeing ads for rooms where the kitchen and bathroom is shared with 3-5 other people.

Here is a great example of that. $599 / 1br All inclusive-Furnished room Don Mills and Eglinton | 1 bedroom | City of Toronto | Kijiji

Above the ad it will be seen that its listed in the 1 bedrooms listing section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 03:14 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,708,206 times
Because people are just ignorant that way and either don't read and follow the rules or they don't pay attention. If there is a way to report the ad or flag it for being miscategorized then flag it.

The same thing happens in craigslist ads all the time. Nothing anyone can do except continue to flag the ads or report them.

ETA: I just went into your link and went into an ad and I see that there is a 'report ad' option in each ad in upper right of the ad. Use that to report it being miscategorized. Doesn't mean it will stop people from posting in the wrong category but perhaps the website managers will watch more closely if enough ads are reported.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 11-14-2015 at 03:45 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 03:29 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Because it says right in the title that it is a room? It doesn't say it is an apartment. Just open the ads where the title says it is a one bedroom apartment.

Sorry, but when you are hunting for a rental, you have to sift through ads that don't apply.

Probably the shared facility ads should go in the roommate section, but maybe the landlord feels that he is not looking for a roommate, he is advertising a room to rent.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:31 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
My minor objection to apartment ads is that they make the ad sound like it is a house until you get all the way to the bottom of the ad. There is really nothing to be done about it except to go on to the next ad.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:21 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheGoodNames.AreTaken View Post
Why do rental landlords who rent bedrooms in shared living accommodations list their rooms for rent under the bach and 1bdrm sections of sites?? There is a ROOMMATE section on rental sites.

When I am I looking for a 1 bedroom apartment it means I want to see ads for self contained places with a kitchen, bathroom, Living room, separate bedroom all with their own doors (Except the kitchen - Apartment kitchens dont have doors)

In the 1 bedroom section, I should not be seeing ads for rooms where the kitchen and bathroom is shared with 3-5 other people.

Here is a great example of that. $599 / 1br All inclusive-Furnished room Don Mills and Eglinton | 1 bedroom | City of Toronto | Kijiji

Above the ad it will be seen that its listed in the 1 bedrooms listing section.
For the same reason idiots continually post items for sale in the Wanted Section - stupidity!

Old 11-16-2015, 11:04 AM

666 posts, read 643,739 times
Have you tried contacting these folks and sending nasty messages? A slew of profanity in their inbox might make them think twice about their listings. Lol at those pictures btw, that bed looks like you might as well just sleep on the floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting