Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:23 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,641,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsketch View Post
Is there anything a landlord can do if a tenant breaks a house rule that was stated before the lease was signed. We are renting a single room in our house. And have a joint bathroom kitchen ect. this being a private residence we put a few things in the lease to protect us and our home. the two main concerns that put into the lease and now are being argued over are-
1. Not having overnight guests
2. No Marijuana

the second is kind of a given. Just like a person can require no smoking in the house a landlord can say no Marijuana no matter how 'legal' it is now. But as for the other I don't think its a unreasonable thing not to allow overnight guests; college dorms do it all the time and it was stated in the lease.
My question is I'm not sure how to enforce the rule if it is broken. She seemed to have backed down for now but what do I do if she tries to anyway. Just trying to prepare for the possibility. I know that its not grounds for eviction for sure but there has to be something a Landlord can do.
It will be difficult to enforce it if you allow it as that can be seen as you are ok with it. You need to put in writing, a txt or email that the rules both sides agreed to will remain in place and just as a quick reminder you are resending it. That will help your side. Of course you can evict if the rule gets broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 08:53 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,147,660 times
Quote:
Is there anything a landlord can do if a tenant breaks a house rule that was stated before the lease was signed. We are renting a single room in our house. And have a joint bathroom kitchen ect. this being a private residence we put a few things in the lease to protect us and our home. the two main concerns that put into the lease and now are being argued over are-
1. Not having overnight guests
2. No Marijuana

the second is kind of a given. Just like a person can require no smoking in the house a landlord can say no Marijuana no matter how 'legal' it is now. But as for the other I don't think its a unreasonable thing not to allow overnight guests; college dorms do it all the time and it was stated in the lease.

My question is I'm not sure how to enforce the rule if it is broken. She seemed to have backed down for now but what do I do if she tries to anyway. Just trying to prepare for the possibility. I know that its not grounds for eviction for sure but there has to be something a Landlord can do.
I disagree....but without any particular links for you...If you told them it wasn't allowed, then it is grounds for eviction.

You have more immediate actions that can be taken, as you are renting a room in a home that you occupy, at least as I understand it... But...I would check your State's landlord tenant rights...specific to renting a room in a private residence...I believe as I said you have the ability for more immediate action, rather than the typical 30 day notices and such....Someone else may know the specifics...depending on your state.

But IMO those are major deal breakers, especially in your private home.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Thank you it hasn't happened, yet but she's whining about it constantly. She's the type of person that thinks she can do whatever she wants without consequence. I feel like its only a matter of time before she sees how far she can push it. Im so glad I had her co-sign with her father. If need be I'll get him involved, though I rather work it out with her first. Good to get some extra input though.
I would involve him now...He is responsible as the co-signer. We co-signed for my son....and we got a letter when his rent was late, from 4 states away...I would think a notice of these infractions, with a warning...or even a notice for her to move out, if you find your LL rights support that...is warranted.
But, this is pure speculation until you confirm what your rights are particular to your state, and the fact you reside in the same home.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:24 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,009,957 times
Based on the co-signing with daddy, the "whining" and the college dorm reference, I'm assuming she's young?

Which means that it's not surprising that she wants to smoke pot and have overnight guests over? As well as possibly drinking, playing loud music, etc.

No, I doubt you can have her evicted for whining about house rules, since you say she hasn't done any of them yet. However, I'd keep telling her "no" and would notify the dad.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:28 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,211,252 times
Your lease should have a clause in it regarding adherance to house rules and sets the terms for changing of house rules. If you don't have something in there for that you need to get it added. It is pretty common in apartments to have something along those lines that covers them in the event that they need to change pool rules or parking rules that kind of thing. Adjust the wording slightly in an apartment clause and you could use it, google your states multi-housing association and take a look at their standard lease.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:52 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,396,303 times
Default wow...

Quote:
Thank you it hasn't happened, yet but she's whining about it constantly. She's the type of person that thinks she can do whatever she wants without consequence. I feel like its only a matter of time before she sees how far she can push it. Im so glad I had her co-sign with her father. If need be I'll get him involved, though I rather work it out with her first. Good to get some extra input though.
Sounds like you should move her out asap. It's going to be a problem eventually.
Koale

Old 11-16-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Oh yes it is, if it's in the lease.

I would have said something to her the first time it happened. "No pot and no sleepovers. Do it again and you're gone."
I agree. Stop treating this renter like your daughter....She signed a lease, this is a deal breaker. No arguing, just action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting