Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 09:23 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times

Advertisements

Susan has a 60-day to 60-day lease at the sketchy condo she leases from me. Meaning I require 60 days' notice. She originally told me she want to lease the place thru April, which worked great for me because I planned to sell it in the Spring.

A few weeks ago she contacted me about another property I have that is going to be vacated at the end of November. She and her fiancee have an April wedding planned and his lease is up the end of December. They would like to lease my townhouse because it is larger and in a better location. He has completed the application and the Smartmove verifications and all is good. I am happy to lease the townhouse to him, his income easily covers 3x the rent.

However, Susan wants to leave the condo and move into the townhouse with her guy. That leaves me with a vacant condo. What would your position be as far as the lease termination on the condo? I do realize that this guy wouldn't have leased this townhouse w/o Susan's urging. And, because the present tenant is moving 11/30, I wouldn't likely get the place leased anyway until after the holidays.

So, do you think I should be ok with Susan ending the condo lease and moving into the townhouse, or do you think I should hold her to the 60-day notice on the condo, or something in between?

Last edited by WorldKlas; 11-20-2015 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 09:35 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,109 times
Be flexible and work with her

She seems to have been a great tenant in the past and likely will be in the future

Choose your battles wisely ... a GOOD tenant is a valuable asset to you

Old 11-20-2015, 09:54 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
I agree with StrkAliteN but I would have her agree to clean the unit professionally so that it is move in ready when she leaves. Then you could either put it up for sale or re-rent more easily.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:08 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Most of your post is pointless. A good tenant wants to swap units, allow it and move on.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:24 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Default hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Susan has a 60-day to 60-day lease at the sketchy condo she leases from me. Meaning I require 60 days' notice. She originally told me she want to lease the place thru April, which worked great for me because I planned to sell it in the Spring.

A few weeks ago she contacted me about another property I have that is going to be vacated at the end of November. She and her fiancee have an April wedding planned and his lease is up the end of December. They would like to lease my townhouse because it is larger and in a better location. He has completed the application and the Smartmove verifications and all is good. I am happy to lease the townhouse to him, his income easily covers 3x the rent.

However, Susan wants to leave the condo and move into the townhouse with her guy. That leaves me with a vacant condo. What would your position be as far as the lease termination on the condo? I do realize that this guy wouldn't have leased this townhouse w/o Susan's urging. And, because the present tenant is moving 11/30, I wouldn't likely get the place leased anyway until after the holidays.

So, do you think I should be ok with Susan ending the condo lease and moving into the townhouse, or do you think I should hold her to the 60-day notice on the condo, or something in between?
Sounds to me like she should be worried about you...this whole thing sounds 'sketchy' at best.
Koale

Old 11-20-2015, 10:38 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Sounds like a no-brainer to me.........unless of course, you don't mind the risk of having 2 vacant properties to rent out to completely new people.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Sounds to me like she should be worried about you...this whole thing sounds 'sketchy' at best.
Koale
Oh funny. I edited out some earlier sentances and that now sounds confusing. I had earlier put in some info regarding favors I had done for Susan that cost me quite a lot of money but at this point is water under the bridge.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:30 AM

Over the bridge?

Old 11-20-2015, 11:36 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
There's a problem? She gives you a 60 day notice and that is all that is required with her current rental agreement. No matter what, she can leave you with a vacancy in the middle of the winter. If you don't want vacancies in the middle of the winter or in the middle of holiday season, you have to write leases that don't expire in the middle of the winter.

His lease isn't up until the end of December, so you are getting a month and a half notice, at any rate. They aren't moving until Jan 1.

I don't transfer security deposits. I transfer the balance of the deposit after all clean-u and repair is finished and charges deducted.

As for the small place that she is vacating that you don't want to sell for a couple of more months, you advertise: Moving to the area? Low cost short term rental where you can unload and look around. Mention storage if you have any available.

You'll get someone moving to the area who doesn't yet know where they want to live. Give them a 4 month lease and let them know they can't stay after that. I've done it that way and had applicants fighting over the unit and I'm in a lot smaller town than you are. A lot of people moving to a strange area want to look around before committing. Often they are buyers, who make better tenants than lifetime tenants do.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 11-20-2015 at 11:45 AM..

Old 11-20-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There's a problem? She gives you a 60 day notice and that is all that is required with her current rental agreement. No matter what, she can leave you with a vacancy in the middle of the winter. If you don't want vacancies in the middle of the winter or in the middle of holiday season, you have to write leases that don't expire in the middle of the winter.
The issue is Should I impose 60 days notice for her to move from condo to townhouse since they are both my properties and boyfriend is moving in to the other one or just not require the 60 days. He takes possession on 12/15
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting