Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 08:06 PM

253 posts, read 304,737 times

Advertisements

If you are having to throw out food, then it's likely the roaches were attracted to all that open food being left out, not some random leaky pipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 09:09 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayelle77 View Post
I mentioned it twice. After which, I became too busy to continue checking up on him and assumed it would be fixed as soon as possible as our previous plumbing issue was. After the second contact, he told us he was trying to find a new plumber.
Well he is definitely 100% at fault here then.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:12 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Regular Repairs | CMHC

Quote:
First, call or write the landlord or superintendent, explain what is wrong and ask to have it fixed. If the landlord does not respond or fails to make promised repairs, put your request in writing. If this fails to get the results you want, contact the local rent authority for help. These offices, called Rentalsman in some provinces, help resolve disputes between landlords and tenants. They have the authority to order landlords to apply rental money towards repairs. Depending on the problem, the tenant may also need input from a building, health or fire inspector. To find these inspectors contact your municipal government office listed in the Blue Pages of your telephone book. Or you may try calling your local fire department for the fire inspector or hospital for the health inspector.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:41 PM

151 posts, read 189,770 times
I contacted my landlord and he is having the sink fixed this week. We purchased a few traps and raid, pulled out the stove and cleaned under it, as well as the sink. We threw out any open food. We placed traps throughout the kitchen and blocked it off for the night. It was only ONE possible roach, and we have not seen it since the first appearance. We believe it came in through the crack in the wall behind the stove.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:19 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayelle77 View Post
I do pay my own water. I had an issue with the bathtub faucet leaking in the past and he quickly had it fixed because I pay my water. I'm going to bill him for anything we spend to try to fend off roaches as well as any food that we throw out.
lol good luck with that billing.

Leaks and drips are 2 different things to me. If your tub spout was dripping then yes, it affects your water bill however small that might. If the pipes under your sink are leaking---as in the pipes carrying the water away? Or is the supply line leaking that brings water in? Or is the faucet leaking at it's base and dripping down into the lower cabinet? At any rate this leak in your kitchen sounds pretty bad if it's dripping through the floor to the ceiling below. Your landlord however lazy probably assumes you have a bowl under this leak to prevent the water from doing that.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:32 AM

151 posts, read 189,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
lol good luck with that billing.

Leaks and drips are 2 different things to me. If your tub spout was dripping then yes, it affects your water bill however small that might. If the pipes under your sink are leaking---as in the pipes carrying the water away? Or is the supply line leaking that brings water in? Or is the faucet leaking at it's base and dripping down into the lower cabinet? At any rate this leak in your kitchen sounds pretty bad if it's dripping through the floor to the ceiling below. Your landlord however lazy probably assumes you have a bowl under this leak to prevent the water from doing that.
I actually had several bowls to collect the water. As it turns out, the actual faucet had corroded away at the bottom so the leak was coming from all sides of the sink.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:32 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
If it had happened in the USA in a URLTA city, you could have hired a plumber yourself and deducted it from the rent. You should try mentioning to the landlord that it's an emergency because it's damaging his property and ask him if he wants you to hire a plumber yourself and deduct it from the rent. Some landlords are relatively new and naive about such things. He may have misunderstood it to be a drip or to think it wasn't doing any immediate damage.

Millions of people live with roaches, so you don't have much of a case against the landlord for those. You can use Google to find a lot of ways to deal with them. But keep in mind that if you live in multi-family housing, anything you do about roaches in your space will be undone if the other tenants there don't do something about theirs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting