Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 11:49 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Is it totally out of line to rent a room to somebody and they can't have ANY overnight guests or overnight guests who are not allowed to shower and NOT allowed to use the kitchen?

I am thinking of rewriting the lease if this renter moves out.

I used to rent rooms when I was younger and my bf came overnight but never hung around the kitchen and never took a shower. I found this common courtesy and it was not in the lease or anything.
You are allowed to make rules about overnight guests.

Search this forum for that term and you will find lots of threads that address it. It can be a big problem for landlords.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:01 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
ahhh, okay. I will do that.

I have kicked out 2 renters before and I was just wondering since this is the 3rd time if it is really them or if I have to look into the mirror.

First renter I had had guys sleep on my couch and she clung on me 24/7 and I couldn't take it anymore after 2 months.

Second renter suddenly made up with her ex bf, a gang member. He tried to intimidate me but since he was a head shorter than me, it didn't work too well. Once they told me to leave the living room so they can watch a movie alone, she hid a snake and rats in her room and her dog also shat all over my yard and she didn't pick it up.

They were both super innocent looking and it took me forever to even find those non-obvious bad renters. After 4 weeks they got too comfortable and acted like they own the place. I had houserules hung up but they ignored all of them. Therefore, I decided to not socialize with my renters anymore, but it seems like I still have issued to put down boundaries.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:34 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
I live in an apt complex that allows tenants to have 2 pets. BUT the Rules clearly state Visitors Not allowed to bring their Pets into the complex. BTW my Complex do to Insurance Don't allow Huskies. Send your tenant a Written Notice that he has to sign for thru the PO. No Pets Means No Pets that includes Visitors. Put in the written notice he going to be evicted if he doesn't comply.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I live in an apt complex that allows tenants to have 2 pets. BUT the Rules clearly state Visitors Not allowed to bring their Pets into the complex. BTW my Complex do to Insurance Don't allow Huskies. Send your tenant a Written Notice that he has to sign for thru the PO. No Pets Means No Pets that includes Visitors. Put in the written notice he going to be evicted if he doesn't comply.
This is odd. I never heard before that you can have 2 pets LIVE somewhere but then no pets visiting. Very interesting.

I didn't know about the special Husky policy.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:13 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,977,590 times
All of this is a recipe for disaster.

Don't you watch television news at all?

There are multiple cases of people attempting to earn some extra money by renting out rooms. AND thy can't get the renters out when things go sour.

Sell the house. Put the proceeds in some form of safe investment fund. Get out of the rental business before it is too late.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:47 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
This is odd. I never heard before that you can have 2 pets LIVE somewhere but then no pets visiting. Very interesting.

I didn't know about the special Husky policy.

How is it odd?

Yes, you can have pets living in your unit, the pets that are listed on your lease, you can't just move in out pets to your liking.

Leases often address visiting pets and pet sitting. Nothing odd about it all. I'd be ticked if my neighbor had visiting dogs that weren't vetted by the landlord (we have to give pics, copies of shot record and county tags) and ended up spreading God knows what around the community.

As for the 'special policy' for Huskies, that's up to your landlord to decide. Many insurance companies, communities, landlords, and HOAs have their own 'banned' breed list. You need to ask about your breed BEFORE you hand over money or sign a lease.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:55 AM

ah, with the pet sitting, that makes sense.

Well, I came home unexpectedly on Saturday and the renters gf's dog was locked in his room, howling. Nobody home.

I sent the renter an email that I would like to enforce the no pet policy now since the verbal agreement doesn't seem to work. He had the dog at the house unsupervised once and I said this is inacceptable.

No answer. He either accepts it or not and if not, I will kick him out.

UNIT731- I am only renting to a specific group of people. Military and interns from work. If a military renter causes problems, I can report him to the base. The interns from work are well educated, quiet students who show up with one suit case, stay for 6 months and spend most weekends away, traveling. They have lease cars with free gas and use the opportunity to see as much as they can on the weekends. It's my 3rd time renting to interns and they are all okay so far.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
ah, with the pet sitting, that makes sense.

Well, I came home unexpectedly on Saturday and the renters gf's dog was locked in his room, howling. Nobody home.

I sent the renter an email that I would like to enforce the no pet policy now since the verbal agreement doesn't seem to work. He had the dog at the house unsupervised once and I said this is inacceptable.

No answer. He either accepts it or not and if not, I will kick him out.

UNIT731- I am only renting to a specific group of people. Military and interns from work. If a military renter causes problems, I can report him to the base. The interns from work are well educated, quiet students who show up with one suit case, stay for 6 months and spend most weekends away, traveling. They have lease cars with free gas and use the opportunity to see as much as they can on the weekends. It's my 3rd time renting to interns and they are all okay so far.
you might want to rethink the landlord business.

You don't email your tenant asking for permission to enforce your own rules...either you enforce them or you don't. You have a no pet policy yet you're allowing these tenants to keep this dog. Not smart on your part. Issue them a 3 day or 7 day notice to either get rid of the dog or move.

Dogs are left home without supervision all the time and it's perfectly acceptable. What's not acceptable is having a dog in a no pet unit that howls and disturbs others.

Put on your big girl panties and take a stand...stop being so wishy washy.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:39 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
You had 3 Evictions! Yet you say things are ok so far! Really! I don't think so.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:49 AM

I rented out to 4 German interns before and they were all great.

Yes, I have been stupid allowing the dog being a guest. I didn't think the gf and her dog are there so often. I thought she comes 1-2 nights per week (like it was agreed on) and brings the dog over night. I was too naive. Now she is there all weekend, the dog ****s all over the yard, drags dirt into the house, tore down a curtain (I don't have proof though) and howls.

I learned my lesson. He sent a text yesterday, the unsupervised dog was only there for an hour and it was an emergency and he asked that the dog can keep coming a couple nights per week. No. He should have called me and ASKED and NOT just leave the dog, hoping I don't find out.

For the future, no more overnight guests and no more pets anywhere near my property. Actually, I think I stick with renting to my interns from work. They don't pay as well but they are clean and quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting