Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 10:39 AM

4 posts, read 6,164 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was threatened by a neighbor in November. This neighbor and I have the same Re manager,
in condominium complex. I tried to get him served with a temporary restraining order, and he
was able to refuse it because we didn't have the name right. I'm working on re-applying.

On Dec. 9, I told my Re manager about it, which resulted in a confrontation between them and
myself, brought on by him going around to talk to them. The adverse party openly admitted to
the Re manager that he had threatened me. The manager did nothing, and basically told me not
to take it seriously.

At 4 am this morning, 3 huge rocks were thrown though the patio glass door. It's completely
smashed.

I want out, and I think the RE manager should pay our moving expenses.

I've been telling him about the problem for 2 months now. This neighbor has physically
attacked another neighbor, threatened a security guard, threatened me, and now
my sliding glass door has been smashed in.

What are my legal option? Move out and then sue for expenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 10:48 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Be glad you are only renting, and not the owner! This neighbor is dangerous. You need to move, and pronto. Find a new place, give notice along with documentation of all the incidents, photos of the patio glass, documentation of the attempt to get a restraining order. Then MOVE! You want to "win", or do you want to stay alive? Remember those three young people in NC who were executed by their crazy neighbor who was whacko about the parking rules in the condo complex? You want to end up like them? GET OUT!

Old 12-14-2015, 10:53 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Why would you sue the RE manager? They cannot prevent an idiot from doing something to your apartment. They owe you nothing. This is a criminal matter. I hope you called the police.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:12 AM

4 posts, read 6,164 times
yes I did call the police. All they did was make a report.

I've notified him that there is probably criminal activity going on in their unit, I've told him about the threats,
and even gave him a video of this guy attacking a neighbor. At that time, he said to me that he would just
tell the guy to get out.

he has not done that, and now the patio door is smashed, and I've been threatened personally with physical
violence.

That is why I would think of asking the RE manager to pay my expenses to move.

Is there anyone here with any legal knowledge about it?

Old 12-14-2015, 11:14 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunguska565 View Post
yes I did call the police. All they did was make a report.

I've notified him that there is probably criminal activity going on in their unit, I've told him about the threats,
and even gave him a video of this guy attacking a neighbor. At that time, he said to me that he would just
tell the guy to get out.

he has not done that, and now the patio door is smashed, and I've been threatened personally with physical
violence.

That is why I would think of asking the RE manager to pay my expenses to move.

Is there anyone here with any legal knowledge about it?
Legal knowledge/advice is against TOS and cannot be given on this forum.
If you need legal advice hire an attorney.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Keep calling the cops. Im betting your LL is going to sit up and take notice as now he has to pay for repairs of the doors and glass

Old 12-14-2015, 05:13 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Or the nut will kill you. Again, you want to win, or you want to live? Move now at your own expense.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:28 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
They don't owe you moving expenses. It's outlandish to ask them for moving expenses.

Hopefully they will allow you out of your lease without penalty. If you get too pushy with them by demanding moving expenses, they might draw a line in the sand with you and tell you that you either owe a lease break fee or you owe rent after you move out if they don't find a replacement tenant.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:13 AM

8 posts, read 11,517 times
Agree with sware2cod. Get the lease release and leave with your life and your wallet a little bit lighter. It's too risky.

In the meantime, if you can afford it, you might want to get some personal protection. Avoid escalating it though. Something like a taser-flashlight would provide that covertly without making them ready to bring their "A"-game.

Good luck. And hope you make it out as relatively unscathed as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting