Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:33 AM

40 posts, read 62,815 times

Advertisements

There's a one bedroom in a luxury building I'm interested in applying for.

I want to apply by myself (no co-applicants) but I plan on having a friend living in the living room to make expenses easier.

I make 40x the rent, and I plan on listing my friend as someone who will stay with me (just not as someone on the lease). Do you forsee any problems? Will the building allow this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 08:34 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
You need to check the lease. If they have occupancy restrictions, and many luxury buildings do, then it probably won't be allowed.

But if you make 40x the rent, why get a roommate?

Old 12-17-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You need to check the lease. If they have occupancy restrictions, and many luxury buildings do, then it probably won't be allowed.
Well, I can't see how it would be limited to one person. What if we were a couple?
Are there possible restrictions on where people are permitted to sleep/put a bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
But if you make 40x the rent, why get a roommate?
40x before taxes. Also dealing with loans, bills, etc. Half of my take-home pay per month would go to rent and utilities and the rest to bills. I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck

Old 12-17-2015, 08:47 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp2157 View Post

I want to apply by myself (no co-applicants) but I plan on having a friend living in the living room to make expenses easier.

I make 40x the rent, and I plan on listing my friend as someone who will stay with me (just not as someone on the lease). Do you forsee any problems? Will the building allow this?
Two people in a one-bedroom likely does not violate any occupancy restrictions. I do suggest that if you were to have privacy screens for the roommate, that they be portable and not anything that affixes to walls/ceilings/floors, etc.

Will there a bed or are they sleeping on a pull-out sofa? I'm just wondering about red flags being raised should there be any inspections during your tenancy. But really, the sleeping arrangements of a "couple" are not the concern of a LL.

Most landlords require all occupants to be listed on the lease. The question is will they allow an adult to be listed as an occupant or will they require that adult to be a co-leasee. You need to inquire with the managers of the building before you commit to anything so that you can make a fully informed decision.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:01 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,723 times
I require all resident adults to be on the lease and jointly responsible for all terms of the lease.

I don't care where people sleep.

I would guess that is pretty standard

Old 12-17-2015, 09:02 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:

Quote:
Well, I can't see how it would be limited to one person. What if we were a couple?
Are there possible restrictions on where people are permitted to sleep/put a bed?

40x before taxes. Also dealing with loans, bills, etc. Half of my take-home pay per month would go to rent and utilities and the rest to bills. I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck
You don't fall or shouldn't fall under a occupancy restriction as two people in a one bedroom is acceptable. Most likely the management won't allow your friend to stay just as a occupant. He would be named in the lease. Anyone over the age of 18 on our rentals is going to be named on the lease. The only occupants are children.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:11 AM

Thanks. The issue seems to be whether they will let me just list him as an occupant or whether he will have to sign the lease as well.

Two questions:

1) If they require him to sign, will his credit or income affect my ability to secure the apartment?

2) How much information should I share in my appointment with the leasing office? And throughout the process in general? Should I share before or after I see the application?

Old 12-17-2015, 09:34 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Thanks. The issue seems to be whether they will let me just list him as an occupant or whether he will have to sign the lease as well.

Two questions:

1) If they require him to sign, will his credit or income affect my ability to secure the apartment?

2) How much information should I share in my appointment with the leasing office? And throughout the process in general? Should I share before or after I see the application?
1.) Possibly. They will screen him the same as you.

2.) You should share that there will be two adults living in the apartment, and you should share this before or on the application since they will be screening him as well. If you submit the application and then tell them, there may an additional fee to run his application or you could lose your application fee if you don't want him to be a co-leasee.

They don't need to know your sleeping arrangements although in general, small talk conversation it may be asked or assumed this person is your SO.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:58 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,698,274 times
Quote:

I do believe you mean you make 4x the rent, not 40, especially when you state that 1/2 of your take home goes to rent and utilities.

For example, if you were actually making 40x the rent and the rent is $1000 a month (conservatively) then you would be making $40,000 a month/$480,000 a year gross. If that were the case then I doubt you would be worrying about paying your bills as much as you are or living pay check to pay check for that matter.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
I do believe you mean you make 4x the rent, not 40, especially when you state that 1/2 of your take home goes to rent and utilities.

For example, if you were actually making 40x the rent and the rent is $1000 a month (conservatively) then you would be making $40,000 a month/$480,000 a year gross. If that were the case then I doubt you would be worrying about paying your bills as much as you are or living pay check to pay check for that matter.
Yearly gross salary > 40x the rent. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting