Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 04:46 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times

Advertisements

My mother in law rents a house and her rent has not been raised in 5 years. Why not?

Because the house, though functional, is awful. No upgrades, weird layout, and its only a 2 bedroom, 1 bath. If he has any hope of ever renting that house should she leave, he's looking at putting a ton of money into the house and even then, he'll be really limited in terms of finding someone who wants a 2 bedroom.

She's happy there, never pays late, takes very good care of it so I can't imagine him risking losing her. She's also slowly started taking over things. When she first moved in, he cut the grass, now he's shifted that cost to her (she either has to cut it herself or hire someone to do it).

TO the OP: you told the LL you were unemployed? I would never do that---I'd worry the LL would try to evict me when the lease was up or have me pay rent in advance for a few months or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 04:56 PM

403 posts, read 472,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
My mother in law rents a house and her rent has not been raised in 5 years. Why not?

Because the house, though functional, is awful. No upgrades, weird layout, and its only a 2 bedroom, 1 bath. If he has any hope of ever renting that house should she leave, he's looking at putting a ton of money into the house and even then, he'll be really limited in terms of finding someone who wants a 2 bedroom.

She's happy there, never pays late, takes very good care of it so I can't imagine him risking losing her. She's also slowly started taking over things. When she first moved in, he cut the grass, now he's shifted that cost to her (she either has to cut it herself or hire someone to do it).

TO the OP: you told the LL you were unemployed? I would never do that---I'd worry the LL would try to evict me when the lease was up or have me pay rent in advance for a few months or something.
I had to because it was no guarantee I would find a job by January and had to pay the rent for November and December on credit. So I felt he needed to know if there was going to be a delay with the January's rent due to no income coming in.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
It is interesting reading how things work elsewhere...

A Landlord cannot evict in my city without an approved reason and the rent board acknowledge receipt of the notice with reason to be valid...

Employment status is not an approved reason so it would not matter as long as the rent is paid.

I find myself very busy on other projects and really value having tenants that are somewhat self sufficient and very much want to be my tenants.

It could just be a case of not messing with a good thing...

Could be why I have tenants going back to 1988...

My rents always goes to market when vacant.

There is a saying that lost rent is lost forever and turnovers always cost money...

Old 12-26-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It is interesting reading how things work elsewhere...

A Landlord cannot evict in my city without an approved reason and the rent board acknowledge receipt of the notice with reason to be valid...

Employment status is not an approved reason so it would not matter as long as the rent is paid.

I find myself very busy on other projects and really value having tenants that are somewhat self sufficient and very much want to be my tenants.

It could just be a case of not messing with a good thing...

Could be why I have tenants going back to 1988...

My rents always goes to market when vacant.

There is a saying that lost rent is lost forever and turnovers always cost money...

I can see unemployment being an issue when it comes time to renew the lease.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:33 PM

It can be an issue... just not an actionable one here.

One of my tenants was unemployed almost 2 years... he did have max unemployment to carry him and after 22 months his boss called and asked him to come back...

Lucky for him I couldn't act when he was unemployed.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It can be an issue... just not an actionable one here.

One of my tenants was unemployed almost 2 years... he did have max unemployment to carry him and after 22 months his boss called and asked him to come back...

Lucky for him I couldn't act when he was unemployed.
Oh ok I assumed if someone was not working once it was lease renewal they would not be given that option.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:08 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
Oh ok I assumed if someone was not working once it was lease renewal they would not be given that option.
I wouldn't give the option to renew if I knew a tenant was unemployed for a long period of time. Here unemployment only lasts for 26 weeks and our unemployment rate is still above 6%. If a tenant informed me they were unemployed 3-4 months before the renewal I would leave it month to month and tell them they need to be employed or out by the time their UI is up. You can't evict because of unemployment as long as you are still paying but your landlord isn't required to give you a renewal either unless you are in a rent controlled unit.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
I wouldn't give the option to renew if I knew a tenant was unemployed for a long period of time. Here unemployment only lasts for 26 weeks and our unemployment rate is still above 6%. If a tenant informed me they were unemployed 3-4 months before the renewal I would leave it month to month and tell them they need to be employed or out by the time their UI is up. You can't evict because of unemployment as long as you are still paying but your landlord isn't required to give you a renewal either unless you are in a rent controlled unit.
My tenant just hit the sweet spot as each time his unemployment was about to end it was extended...

He looks back on that time fondly... he got married and spent almost a year as a stay at home dad and was getting around $1800 a month in unemployment.

The company he worked for had 15 employees... he was the last non-family member to get laid off and 22 months later the first to get called back...

Non renewal isn't an option anymore in Oakland except for very specific issues and employment status is not one of them...

http://www.aoausa.com/forms_member/J...%20Oakland.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting