Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 12:18 PM

100 posts, read 130,799 times

Advertisements

I have an out of state rental property and had tenants move in this past Oct, which I have not yet met (corresponded via email only). I am going to be in the area for vacation and was wondering if it is appropriate to ask the tenants if they want to meet then? Obviously if they are are busy I won't push it.
I was just going to introduce myself (in person), see how the property is going, and perhaps give them a couple bottles of wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 12:36 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
No problem with inspecting your property, leave it open to them if they want to meet or not.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:49 PM

232 posts, read 1,654,060 times
Yeah, I don't think that'd be an issue at all. You're giving plenty of advance notice, and I think it's a good idea to meet your tenants in person, even if it's just to say hello.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
No problem with inspecting your property, leave it open to them if they want to meet or not.

This^^^.

I self manage and I have met every tenant I rent to.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:05 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Give them lots of advance notice. Tell them when you will be in the area, that you'd like to meet them in person and take a look at your house to see if the house needs anything.

They can't stop you from inspecting the house, and it would be a very odd tenant, indeed, who would not agree to meet you.

If you give notice far enough in advance, you can ask them when it is convenient for them to meet. If they don't have time, give them a definite time and date that you will be inspecting the house. They don't have to be there for the inspection.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:03 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
You should be doing semi annual inspections on your property anyway so give them notice of when you'll be in town and set a date.

I think it's nice that you want to bring a bottle of wine, but remember..this is a business deal...not a blind date.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:48 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Give them lots of advance notice. Tell them when you will be in the area, that you'd like to meet them in person and take a look at your house to see if the house needs anything.

They can't stop you from inspecting the house, and it would be a very odd tenant, indeed, who would not agree to meet you.

If you give notice far enough in advance, you can ask them when it is convenient for them to meet. If they don't have time, give them a definite time and date that you will be inspecting the house. They don't have to be there for the inspection.
I'd do the inspection. Give plenty of notice. I would not give my renters wine or ay other alcohol personally for liability issues alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting