Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2008, 02:18 PM

57 posts, read 250,068 times

Advertisements

Hi

I have a question about my lease. I am currently living in CT while waiting to move to NC (my husband is already there). I was lucky I was able to sell my home up here rather quick but I was unable to convince my ex husband to allow permission to relocate with our 7 year old. Out of the blue he decided to allow me to go.
My problem is I just signed a 6 month lease on a house in CT. I am not too familiar with leases so I do not know if I am stuck.
The lease states

Term of Agreement: Month to Month
Beginningec 20,2007 Ending: June 20, 2007.

Is my lease actually month to month? Or is it 6 month?

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 02:24 PM

131 posts, read 723,912 times
If it is month to month, does it say what happens at the end of each month? Does it renew automatically for another month? If so, it sounds like giving the proper notice will allow you to cancel the lease. Maybe what it means is that it is month to month with automatic renewal for 6 months.

Anyway, it almost seems like a typo - someone didn't do their job well in drafting the lease. If it's not month to month, then you will probably be responsible for the rent until a new renter comes along.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:27 PM

57 posts, read 250,068 times
No it does not say anything about what happens at the end of the month.
It is a poorly written lease on top of the fact that the lease is in my husbands name and I signed it (he was in N.C.).

Old 02-05-2008, 02:35 PM

34 posts, read 96,735 times
Sounds month to month. Ask what their notice requirements are, whether it is 30, 45 or 60 days. Give them written notice asap. You probably will be responsible for rent through the end of that notice, unless there is something different in the lease. I have heard of landlords who will hold you responsible for rent until a new tenant moves in. I know in North Carolina, you are not allowed to charge double rent from two tenants at the same time.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:55 PM

131 posts, read 723,912 times
Was this a lease that the owner drafted or is it a professionally drafted lease? If the owner drafted it, he or she will probably chalk it up to not knowing what they were doing and let you out of it if you point out the conflicting wording. I would give the required notice (either 30 or 60 days) and tell them that because the lease is month to month, you will be leaving. If he or she gives you problems, you might even say that you had an attorney look at it and was told that it was only good for month to month. Although this might not be true, just the mention of an attorney will sometimes get people to back off - especially if they drafted it themselves.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:52 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,491,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara Keys View Post
Sounds month to month. Ask what their notice requirements are, whether it is 30, 45 or 60 days. Give them written notice asap. You probably will be responsible for rent through the end of that notice, unless there is something different in the lease. I have heard of landlords who will hold you responsible for rent until a new tenant moves in. I know in North Carolina, you are not allowed to charge double rent from two tenants at the same time.
As far as I'm aware, its illegal everywhere to collect double rent.

Jenaten, I'd probably talk to an attorney before making that claim, just in case the landlord really does know what they're talking about.

I do agree that it sounds like its poorly worded.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:00 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,529,842 times
Just make sure that if you give written notice, send it certified. I know of several people who gave written notice and the management company or whoever they leased from claimed they never received it.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:20 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,565,189 times
To me it sounds you have a 6 month lease and after that it is a month to month, which is a very common lease. Some Landlords agree if you find the landlord a new tenant but you have to ask first and get it in writing. Otherwise if it is like it sounds, you are stuck for the 6 months. You know, time flies, so don't worry to much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting