Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,078 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I live in San Francisco. In a 4 unit flat with a large garage. I rent out every single parking spot in the garage.
The laundry and trash are also in there.

I have a neighbor that does not like me, she goes into my area looking around and poking and prodding in my area and she has no business being there. The laundry and garbage are in a completely different area.
Question is, can I get her for trespassing? It's my rented area and no one else's. At the very least, can I tell her to not go into my area anymore, legally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
ETA: wait, I just reread your post so I deleted my initial post. So the laundry/trash are in the garage where tenants do have access to it? Then you should not be keeping anything of value in a community area. And how do you know she is 'poking' around in your things? You can't just send the tenant a letter if you don't have proof that she is doing anything.

And do you have rental insurance in case of theft?

Why don't you install a camera in this case? You need to have some kind of proof that she, is in fact, the one stealing, etc in case you have anything stolen.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 01-12-2016 at 08:51 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 09:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakdady View Post
Hello all!

I live in San Francisco. In a 4 unit flat with a large garage. I rent out every single parking spot in the garage.
The laundry and trash are also in there.

I have a neighbor that does not like me, she goes into my area looking around and poking and prodding in my area and she has no business being there. The laundry and garbage are in a completely different area.
Question is, can I get her for trespassing? It's my rented area and no one else's. At the very least, can I tell her to not go into my area anymore, legally?
You are within your rights to call the police right now. I think a talk with the police would cure her nose trouble real fast.
Another option; Contact your LL with this info and tell him/her that you intend to post a no trespassing sign on the entrance to the garage parking area. Tell him you've caught this tenant trespassing. I would also lock up with a padlock and put cameras, or at least a sign pretending you have security cameras.

If she does it again, go out and confront her in the act and call the police.

Last edited by JanND; 01-12-2016 at 10:03 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,078 times
nothing stolen. i have a security camera pointed at my area. so i know she's in there. but she's not stealing anything. i just don't want her in my space.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You are within your rights to call the police right now. I think a talk with the police would cure her nose trouble real fast.
Another option; Contact your LL with this info and tell him/her that you intend to post a no trespassing sign on the entrance to the garage parking area. Tell him you've caught this tenant trespassing. I might also lock up with a padlock and put cameras, or at least a sign pretending you have security cameras.

If she does it again, go out and confront her in the act and call the police.

Based on what OP stated, the parking stalls are located in an area that other tenants have access to for trash/laundry even though OP states the trash/laundry are in a separate part of the garage area. So a lock will not work.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
nothing stolen. i have a security camera pointed at my area. so i know she's in there. but she's not stealing anything. i just don't want her in my space.

Then put a note on her door and tell her not to go near your things in the garage and you have security cameras proving they are near your things........done! If they do it again, then contact your LL and see what they advise you do. Not much else you can do now if nothing is taken/stolen. You can't call the police if it is a common area that all tenants have access to UNLESS something is stolen/vandalized, etc.

And, do you have insurance in case anything is stolen/vandalized, etc?

Old 01-13-2016, 07:15 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Without understanding the layout of the garage and it's proximity to the access of laundry/trash, it's hard to address this properly.

Is it underground parking? Is it a garage with an actual door? How many spaces are we talking about?

If you rent these spaces, talk with the management company on restricting access to them. If these are spaces in a community garage, i'm not sure you can restrict access, even if you rented them all out.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:49 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I will need a drawing of the garage (preferably in MS Paint) to give advice.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Is there someway to block access from the laundry area into these stalls? Get creative. Park something big and bulky in the doorway, or build a door/gate and pad lock. A pic or layout drawing will help us help you.
Meanwhile, report her for trespassing.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Based on what OP stated, the parking stalls are located in an area that other tenants have access to for trash/laundry even though OP states the trash/laundry are in a separate part of the garage area. So a lock will not work.
There is a way in, so there is opportunity to block this off. OP needs to get creative..without a layout we are all just guessing.

And, to add to your suggestion about insurance....OP is liable if snoopy neighbor trips and falls even if she is trespassing. Cops need to be called, trespass complaint needs to be filed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting