Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 07:52 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Oh I feel your pain. Purchase the earplugs at Walgreens: the best brand are called "Pretty in Pink". 30 in a pack. Also, purchase Bose sound-cancelling headphones. Yes they are spendy and a tad bulky to sleep with but it can be done. Keep on the LL relentlessly.
If you want to send other messages, i.e., a bit of non violent revenge, run a hot shower, hot wash, hot dishwasher daily when they try to shower. Also, call your city councilman (or woman) and pen a short letter with dates and times and how u tried to settle in person.
Note: forget about any more personal contact. It rarely works these days. And a lot of sickos will even make more noise if you keep trying to be the nice guy. Look up your city ordinances.
Get police involved. If still unbearable, break camp. We went thru hell in Ilinois in a townehome with a neighbor who placed speakers against our townhome shared waall. It was the ninth circle of hell. I empathize: I really do... keep us posted and read other threads. Get those headphones and get a soft pillow and sleep on your back.
Our units don't share the same water heater (and I'm glad, they do many loads of a laundry a day). I've been trying to be nice and get it solved but its definitely not working. As I said, I will not lose my job because of this and will break a lease before that happens. If I lose my job, then in turn I'll get evicted since I won't have $$$

Old 01-23-2016, 10:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
You need to figure out how to sleep thru it like people have been saying. Your neighbors aren't doing anything wrong, it's just annoying to you because your bedroom is under their living area...so bad planning there. Blame the builder. Also, you will get used to it probably. I moved near a train track and thought I was going to die but after awhile I never heard that train and never woke up again. White noise is your friend. You are not a victim here and there is NOTHING you can do but rent a place on the top floor from now on. Everyone learns that lesson. Breaking your lease is your only option if you can't deal with it, and it still won't be your neighbors fault.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:18 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
This is why I refuse to rent the bottom unit, noise doesn't bother me, but it drives my husband BONKERS. We once rented a place on the first floor and he kept saying the neighbor was walking loud ON PURPOSE. I kept saying no, she's walking in her own place, sure we hear it sometimes, but that's what is to be expected. He drove me nuts with his complaining.

We now rent upstairs and do our best to be quiet, and of course now my husband complains about the stairs, but I just tell him if we were downstairs he'd complain about the noise!

Move if you can't handle it, get earplugs if you want to make it work.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:54 AM

403 posts, read 472,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Hello to all,

I recently moved into a new duplex that Is a house (duplex on top, and on bottom). It's a super nice place and my wife and I love it until we buy our home probably in a year or so... However there is 1 major problem. The people above us are up all hours of the night and unfortunately our bedroom is below there living room/kitchen. They literally stomp around (doesn't help they're over weight) from about 9pm-2am and then for some reason again from about 6am-7am. My wife and I work 1st shift and get up around 6am. If we are lucky, we get 4-5 hours of sleep sometimes less.

We've been here for about a month, I have personally talked to the upstairs tenants twice and they obviously don't care. I have also talked to the landlord who said she would talk to them but still nothing has happened/changed at all. I've been at my job for a few years and for the 1st time EVER, I got drug tested apparently because I seem more "out of it" and "tired" than I have ever been. I passed the test and explained what's going on. I WILL NOT lose my job that I enjoy because of people being extremely inconsiderate and loud all hours of the night.

Where do I go from here? I've complained to both parties(Landlord and tenant) and it's not helping any. I fear if we stay until our year lease is up, I'll lose my job before then. All help appreciated

I recommend ear plugs which has worked very well for me the past 2 years. Once they are in my ears the noise sounds far away and I end up falling asleep.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:00 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
The overweight comment wasn't unnecessary, just a simple fact. They're overweight, which makes their steps that much louder. Just stating a fact
No it doesn't you just want to believe it does because you want to disparage someone who is overweight.
I have never heard of a job that drugs tests because you look out of it, that is silly. Most drug test are random and no one knows when they will happen or to whom.
If you lose your job that will be your fault alone.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:10 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Quote:
Hello to all,

I recently moved into a new duplex that Is a house (duplex on top, and on bottom). It's a super nice place and my wife and I love it until we buy our home probably in a year or so... However there is 1 major problem. The people above us are up all hours of the night and unfortunately our bedroom is below there living room/kitchen. They literally stomp around (doesn't help they're over weight) from about 9pm-2am and then for some reason again from about 6am-7am. My wife and I work 1st shift and get up around 6am. If we are lucky, we get 4-5 hours of sleep sometimes less.

We've been here for about a month, I have personally talked to the upstairs tenants twice and they obviously don't care. I have also talked to the landlord who said she would talk to them but still nothing has happened/changed at all. I've been at my job for a few years and for the 1st time EVER, I got drug tested apparently because I seem more "out of it" and "tired" than I have ever been. I passed the test and explained what's going on. I WILL NOT lose my job that I enjoy because of people being extremely inconsiderate and loud all hours of the night.

Where do I go from here? I've complained to both parties(Landlord and tenant) and it's not helping any. I fear if we stay until our year lease is up, I'll lose my job before then. All help appreciated
Believe it or not, they are not "stomping", they are walking. Which they are allowed to do, any time, day or night. They are not loudly playing music, they arent having parties, they are walking. They walk from 6am to 7am??? OMG what heathens! Who does that??

Get ear plugs, and get over it.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Believe it or not, they are not "stomping", they are walking. Which they are allowed to do, any time, day or night. They are not loudly playing music, they arent having parties, they are walking. They walk from 6am to 7am??? OMG what heathens! Who does that??

If you were here, you'd understand why I say stomping and not walking. Do I care that they walk around in their home, of course not. It's the hours of which they do so, so loudly that it moves pictures on my wall. And the reason I say from 6-7am is because they don't even go to bed until 2-3am so the fact they're doing it again so soon is odd to me.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-24-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 01-24-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No it doesn't you just want to believe it does because you want to disparage someone who is overweight.
I have never heard of a job that drugs tests because you look out of it, that is silly. Most drug test are random and no one knows when they will happen or to whom.
If you lose your job that will be your fault alone.

So if a 100lb man were to "fall" on you, he would exert more force than a 300lb man? I think not. They're simply overweight, which in turn makes them walk louder. I'm not being "mean" and making fun of anyone or anything of that sort.

As for the drug test, isn't a good time for a "random" test when someone is not acting their normal self? Seems like a good time to do so "randomly". Without sleep, I have no energy. Without energy, it's hard to fully concentrate for the 50+ hours I week every week.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post

You better be careful you're going to get flamed for saying things like this!! LOLOL

You're 100% right by the way.

The one really option the OP has is to move. There is nothing anyone can do about someone walking in their home. The landlord wont' touch it, the police wont' touch it, the housing authority won't touch it....you live in a multi family unit..you're going to hear people living in their unit.

As for the drug testing I doubt that story..no employer is going to drug test because you look 'out of it'. If you were injured, or had an accident on the job and they suspect your 'out of it' condition had something to do with it then they would drug test. They can't just look at you and demand a drug test without credible suspicion.

Good luck, OP. This type of 'noise' is a common thread topic around here and while it sucks to hear people moving about their unit, there's no law or rule against it. This does not fall under 'quite enjoyment'.

Next time rent the top floor or find a building with concrete shared walls...that really helps.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You better be careful you're going to get flamed for saying things like this!! LOLOL

You're 100% right by the way.

The one really option the OP has is to move. There is nothing anyone can do about someone walking in their home. The landlord wont' touch it, the police wont' touch it, the housing authority won't touch it....you live in a multi family unit..you're going to hear people living in their unit.

As for the drug testing I doubt that story..no employer is going to drug test because you look 'out of it'. If you were injured, or had an accident on the job and they suspect your 'out of it' condition had something to do with it then they would drug test. They can't just look at you and demand a drug test without credible suspicion.

Good luck, OP. This type of 'noise' is a common thread topic around here and while it sucks to hear people moving about their unit, there's no law or rule against it. This does not fall under 'quite enjoyment'.

Next time rent the top floor or find a building with concrete shared walls...that really helps.

As I said in a previous post, isn't a good time for a "random" test when an employee isn't acting their normal self and seem so called "tired" and not doing near as much as they usually do? Doubt my story, it happened. I pased the drug test and then proceeded to explain why I see different.

This thread was simply made to see if anyone had similar problems and to see what they did/what i could do. Now that everyone feels like they need to be a**holes and tell me "get over it" I have all I need. Thanks for all the overwhelming great advice.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-24-2016 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting