Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:32 PM

6 posts, read 10,362 times

Advertisements

I have been renting a unit in a 22 unit building for the past 7 seven years, today I got a letter in the mail from the city (notice of public hearing) demolition of two existing apartment buildings for a new condominium complex.
What are my rights, are they going to pay each tenant to relocate or are they just going to give a 30 day notice once everything gets final.
Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 08:18 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,634 times
Are you in rent control?

Old 02-08-2008, 08:41 AM

No it is not a rent control building

Old 02-08-2008, 12:33 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
Default start looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie-mick View Post
I have been renting a unit in a 22 unit building for the past 7 seven years, today I got a letter in the mail from the city (notice of public hearing) demolition of two existing apartment buildings for a new condominium complex.
What are my rights, are they going to pay each tenant to relocate or are they just going to give a 30 day notice once everything gets final.
Please help
IMO I would begin today to look for a new rental, get ahead of the pack, then take your new rental price to the management, see if they will help you with new deposits ect, be pro-active. Good luck and update when you can.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:32 PM

I managed a 35 unit building in Long Beach that went condo conversion in 2004. After the City's Public Hearing was approved, we received a 6 month notice from the owner and other papers we had to sign. The residents had first right of refusal to purchase.

The owner was very generous with his incentives. He offered anyone who moved out by Oct., he would give them $1000 plus full return of their security deposit. Anyone who moved by by November - $600 + full return of deposit. After that, full deposit, but no incentive.

Then we received a 60 day notice to vacate by Jan. 2005.

Needless to say, by Jan. I only had 3 tenants left (I was one of them).

We received a form from the City regarding relocation fees. Do NOT check that box that says you will waive it. The amount is determined on the size of your family and income. You will have to come up with 12 months worth of paycheck stubs, etc.

I received $3600.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:23 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
I owned a trailer park in Maryland. I thought about changing the use of the property to something less frustrating, but I would have had to give the residents one year to move, as it would be called a "change of usage" or something like that. Strange, I could evict them one at a time with a 30-day notice, but the whole place had different laws. I'd bet that the condo people have enough money. Eminent domain laws can take your property and give it to someone else to build a privately owned complex and make money, if the town will benefit from it, and the right people have also been paid off.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I managed a 35 unit building in Long Beach that went condo conversion in 2004. After the City's Public Hearing was approved, we received a 6 month notice from the owner and other papers we had to sign. The residents had first right of refusal to purchase.

The owner was very generous with his incentives. He offered anyone who moved out by Oct., he would give them $1000 plus full return of their security deposit. Anyone who moved by by November - $600 + full return of deposit. After that, full deposit, but no incentive.

Then we received a 60 day notice to vacate by Jan. 2005.

Needless to say, by Jan. I only had 3 tenants left (I was one of them).

We received a form from the City regarding relocation fees. Do NOT check that box that says you will waive it. The amount is determined on the size of your family and income. You will have to come up with 12 months worth of paycheck stubs, etc.

I received $3600.
Thanks for the infor. We are a family of three, me my wife and my 2.5 year old. I moved into this place when the rent was low now I look at the 2 bedrooms in my area and the price has tripled. This is going to cause a lot of stress

Old 02-09-2008, 05:01 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
Default True

you will be stressed but take it as a positive that you are aware that it is happening. Remember to let all new landlords know of your situaiton and I am sure your old landlord will give you good ref. Your old landlord is dealing with a load of poo so be professional when you meet with them, it will get you father down the road. I myself have been through this with apartment buildings and I have always manage to take care of my tenants, sometimes moving them to areas not scheduled for renovation or reducing rent. The owner just wants you out with as little of a problem as possible so do not be afraid to ask you manager for favors, just keep them reasonable. Good Luck

Old 02-09-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie-mick View Post
Thanks for the infor. We are a family of three, me my wife and my 2.5 year old. I moved into this place when the rent was low now I look at the 2 bedrooms in my area and the price has tripled. This is going to cause a lot of stress
Aussie,

May I ask where you live as all Counties, States may differ.

I would wait until after the public hearing and your landlord contacts you, then you can save up for the move. Remember, it can be a 6-9 months process. (At least that's how it worked in my City).

Good luck and let us know. I'd be interested to hear.

Paula

Old 02-09-2008, 09:01 AM

I have been trying to do some research in the matter and have found some interesting stuff.
Our hearing date is the 20th FEB, live in Los Angeles (brentwood)

<DIV id=content-wrapper>
<DIV id=main-wrapper><DIV class="main section" id=main><DIV class="widget Blog" id=Blog1><DIV class="blog-posts hfeed" id=ms__id1495>Wednesday, April 11, 2007

<DIV class="post hentry" id=ms__id1494>Tenant Relocation

<DIV class="post-body entry-content" id=ms__id1493>
By unanimous vote, the Los Angeles City Council approved new legislation on condo conversion and tenant relocation. The new legislation includes strong protections for the 70% of Angelenos who rent their homes.

The Council's actions doubled and in some cases tripled relocation fees paid to tenants that had only seen slight increases since 1987. The new fees are based on the realities of the housing market, and will help ease the insecurity of middle- and working-class renters in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting