Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 03:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Just the taxer payers...on a frivolous claim.
So your view is making a claim to a government entity is always a frivolous claim? Or only the ones you do not approve of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 03:17 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
So your view is making a claim to a government entity is always a frivolous claim? Or only the ones you do not approve of?

So, in other words, what you are suggesting is that anyone and everyone with children whose lease doesn't get renewed that they file with or contact the FHA? You must believe that, because based on what the OP provided us was that they were late on rent a 'few' times and nothing about any form of discrimination due to having children. Yup, that sure sounds like contacting FHA would be a very constructive use of valuable resources in this case. Uh huh, right.

Where do you get these crazy ideas from anyway?

Old 02-14-2016, 03:17 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,013 times
Quote:

I never said that so back off. I do believe that this particular case is a waste of taxpayer money. You know as well as I do that the OP has no case for discrimination here. I think you just enjoy arguing with fellow posters.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:27 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
I never said that so back off. I do believe that this particular case is a waste of taxpayer money. You know as well as I do that the OP has no case for discrimination here. I think you just enjoy arguing with fellow posters.
I hold my ground when correct. The OP has no slam dunk. But if she can get the Feds to talk to the Mrs. LL she could well win it. I think a number of you LL sympths have the big issue for OP. That is the exception to the FHA may well apply here. If so her complaint goes no where. If however the LL has a broker? OP should go for it.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Sorry no expense to the tenant and none to the LL if rejected as you all believe likely.
Waste if taxpayer money, and time that someone with a legitimate claim would have to spend waiting in line behind this case. Nothing is free.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:34 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
I never interpreted Ivoc as making an emphatic statement, at all, only opening the door to the possibility there could be a claim. And with housing, the burden of proof is a reasonable cause or belief the claim is true. This is exactly the kind of case HUD likes to makes examples of. It's easy proving overt discrimination. I'm not sure where some think this landlord is exempt - its a pretty narrow field. But one call to the landlord, and if he makes any derogatory comments about kids, her chances just improved.

Here's some easy reading - if anything, it may make LLs think first, before speaking or acting. I cannot stress enough just how slippery this can get, especially coming from a defensive position, because when we are defensive, we react without thinking:

Familial Status
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting