Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 04:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
I agree. That's why I came here to vent, looking for a tactful way to decline so I wouldn't take my unrelated bad mood out on them.

I'm glad you live close enough to your tenants that changing a light bulb is an easy task for you. I live far enough away that such a minor thing (which is the tenant's responsiblility) is extremely inconvenient. It's not possible for me to drop whatever I'm doing to drive 35 miles just to hold their hand through a light bulb changing.

I'm surprised at you Electrician. Usually you give very reasonable answers.

ETA: I also make sure all bulbs are working before re-renting my unit and I did give them a new pack of 6 bathroom vanity bulbs (the ones that burn out most frequently) when they signed the first year lease. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to supply the rest as needed.

Lol. Maybe I was having a off day. Maybe you were still in a poopy mood. Btw I wasn't cussing in my post. My iPad tends to auto correct and my don't autocorrects to f'ing. And sometimes I tend to forget to completely proofread before I hit post.

You're doing it the way I am doing it. I leave extra bulbs when they move in. But I simply ask if there is a issue with them replacing and supplying any burned out bulbs once the ones I supply run out. Truthfully the only tenants that asks me to come do it was when I was renting to three young women. They had no issue changing bulbs as long as they were accessible but some fixtures required removal of a glass globe or some cover before access to the bulb. That was where their expertise stopped. I just haven't come across many tenants who had such issues. Usually they call on big stuff. Plumbing, electrical, leaks ec.

The easiest way to do it is by informing the tenant that bulb replacement is part of their responsibility from day 1. If you informed them from the beginning, when they call you you can say

"While I understand that sometimes handyman type work can require taking some time out of busy schedules, rent was kept at a certain price taking in consideration that you will be doing some agreed upon basic maintenance which replacing light bulbs was one of those basics. I will gladly send a handyman over at a $xx a hour rate. He can be there in 24-48 hours. Please leave a check in xx name for $xx to cover the charges.
If you wish to do no maintenance whatsoever, then we would have to renegotiate the monthly rent to cover the additional expenses and services you now are asking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 06:17 PM

741 posts, read 590,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Lol. Maybe I was having a off day. Maybe you were still in a poopy mood. Btw I wasn't cussing in my post. My iPad tends to auto correct and my don't autocorrects to f'ing. And sometimes I tend to forget to completely proofread before I hit post.
No worries Electrician and thank you for the follow up post. My phone has given me some pretty funny auto corrections, but I think getting f'ing out of don't is one of the best yet. Isn't technology wonderful?! My poopy mood is gone now -- I think I may need to change my screen name to Menopausal LL. 😊. Fortunately I bit holes in my tongue (and fingers) before typing a regrettable reply to them. And the situation resolved itself when the husband said he would take care of the lightbulb. Now I just need to inform the tenants of an inspection date once my husband returns from his trip.

Quote:
"While I understand that sometimes handyman type work can require taking some time out of busy schedules, rent was kept at a certain price taking in consideration that you will be doing some agreed upon basic maintenance which replacing light bulbs was one of those basics. I will gladly send a handyman over at a $xx a hour rate. He can be there in 24-48 hours. Please leave a check in xx name for $xx to cover the charges.
If you wish to do no maintenance whatsoever, then we would have to renegotiate the monthly rent to cover the additional expenses and services you now are asking for.
This is a fantastic reply! Thank you. I'm definitely filing it away for later use.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:48 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
When we lived in HUD they a Special Screwdriver to take the Covers off the outside lights. They came & changed the light bulbs for Free & Supplied the bulbs. No Charge. Perhaps this is what the Tenants think is Normal. Just explain to them that Except for such & such light they can & should change their own bulbs.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
No worries Electrician and thank you for the follow up post. My phone has given me some pretty funny auto corrections, but I think getting f'ing out of don't is one of the best yet. Isn't technology wonderful?! My poopy mood is gone now -- I think I may need to change my screen name to Menopausal LL. 😊. Fortunately I bit holes in my tongue (and fingers) before typing a regrettable reply to them. And the situation resolved itself when the husband said he would take care of the lightbulb. Now I just need to inform the tenants of an inspection date once my husband returns from his trip.

This is a fantastic reply! Thank you. I'm definitely filing it away for later use.
Glad to hear you're in a better mood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting