Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 04:45 PM

741 posts, read 590,088 times

Advertisements

I provided my tenants with a year's worth of filters which should have run out by now. I suspect they haven't been changing them as requested because the husband admitted they have filters on hand. I know they won't buy their own filters, so I know the filters they have are the ones I gave them, but they aren't being used. I've explained to them that they need to do this on a regular basis or my home warranty policy won't cover potential air conditioner repairs if the technician sees a dirty air filter. I no longer have a reliable local handyman to do these things, so I've been relying on the tenants to do this, but I may have to start changing them myself to ensure it gets done.

Is there any way to force the tenants to change the air filters if I provide them, or add language to the lease that they will be on the hook if expensive repairs are required because the filters weren't changed regularly?

I don't know why this is so hard for them. I've provided the filters and I even remind them to change them regularly.

ETA: my tenants are in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 06:08 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Sorry, I don't understand it. Filters are cheap and if the filters are not changed, the cost of running the furnace goes up. But tenant would rather pay an extra $15 a month to heat their place instead of paying 88 cents for a replacement filter.

I've never figured out a way to get them to replace filters. Providing new filters so it doesn't cost them 88 cents doesn't work. They'd rather pay an extra $15 a month for heat instead of taking 30 seconds to replace a filter at no cost to themselves.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:24 PM

Filters here are $9 for basic, $12 for micro allergen, and $20 for micro allergen electrostatic reduction. I buy the $12 ones for my house and the tenants' condo. Where can I get decent 88 cent filters? I'll be over there buying them by the case!

Old 02-17-2016, 06:44 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
I don't use the one provided by my landlord; I buy the 3m ones for $10 and change them every 6 weeks. Her AC guy said he's been telling her to upgrade her filters but she thinks the cheapo ones work fine. Oh, well. It's her AC unit and as long a I live here I'll use the better filter.

Why haven't you set up an inspection so you can see for yourself and talk face to face with your tenant about the filters?

Old 02-17-2016, 07:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
How often are they supposed to be changed?

You could tell your tenants that it looks like it will be easier for you to go ahead and come and change the filters for them every x months/weeks, and while you're there you'll go ahead and do an inspection, and you'll be sure and give them the required 24 hours notice. They'll hate that LOL.

You could write up an addendum and have them sign it, that they agree to change the filter every x months/weeks or they'll be responsible for any repairs to the system. But, realistically, it might be impossible to collect, and you'd have to deduct depreciation, etc.

It will probably be best to just change them yourself. And while you're there, you can check under the sinks for leaks, see if the toilet is running, etc.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:46 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
When the New Mgr took over --May 6th-- they used changing the filters as an Excuse to enter Every Apt! And Stated they be changing the filters Every Month! 9 Months later I still waiting! Old Management changed them Every 6 months & they were changed April just before the take over ... Why I said they were an Excuse!

Old 02-17-2016, 09:13 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Start doing inspections every few months or don't renew and find a new tenant. You can't force them to do anything so find someone who will do what they should be doing without hand holding. Also if this and your light bulb issue aren't in your lease it is time to add it.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:21 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Just tell them that if they don't change them, you will show up to do it every month.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:46 AM

I'm in the condo 2-3 times a year checking things out or making minor repairs and I didn't want to be more intrusive than that. But the filters should be changed every 2 months and I've been trusting the husband to do it. I need to be more proactive about checking. He's always been a bit territorial about his living space, and I don't blame him, so I think that's where his reluctance to have me over stems from. But I'm going to give him the required 24 hours notice and make sure everything is good. Thank you again for the advice.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:49 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
I'm in the condo 2-3 times a year checking things out or making minor repairs and I didn't want to be more intrusive than that.
It's not "intrusive" when they are blatantly not following the lease requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting