Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 05:55 PM

9 posts, read 11,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Not necessarily...

We have rented to people with Bankruptcy and Medical charge offs.

I've had people pull me aside and say they very much like the home or apartment but don't want to waste my time if a Bankruptcy from 5 years ago or a paid Judgment several years back is a non-starter. I don't know of a single owner of manager that does not appreciate this.

What no one likes is going in with a solid application and finding the applicant is not only less than solid but also not truthful...

Even with credit and income issues... a co-signer can often overcome if willing.

In addition to truthfulness we look for:

The ability to pay the rent and deposit as evidence by funds on available and history of income of 3 times the rent.

No Bad Credit which is different than no credit... some people really have very little on their report. I have had individual say nothing only to find pages of charge off and collections... everything from Comcast to the Cell Phones

References we can verify...
Great answer thank you again, this thread has made me feel so much better about the process. It may take some time but at least I feel I understand what is going on now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 10:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Is this a great country or what? Management companies don't want to ever explain everything and I have to explain everything every freaking time I try to find a place to live.
You have to explain yourself to someone you are accountable to, and so does the landlord/manager. You explain to the landlord that you can be trusted to pay the rent, and the landlord explains to the government that they have followed the law regarding discrimination.

Know thine enemies is good advice for you. Hating landlords indiscriminately does you no good. Understanding where they are coming from and their needs, wants and liabilities can help you understand them and get what you want.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:08 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You have to explain yourself to someone you are accountable to, and so does the landlord/manager. You explain to the landlord that you can be trusted to pay the rent, and the landlord explains to the government that they have followed the law regarding discrimination.

Know thine enemies is good advice for you. Hating landlords indiscriminately does you no good. Understanding where they are coming from and their needs, wants and liabilities can help you understand them and get what you want.

??? ??? To whom is the landlord accountable??? ??? Since when does an occupant landlord have to explain to the government?

If the rent is always paid on time and there are no other rental issues, what's the problem?

I regard paying the rent timely with <3x income is a sign of proper prioritization and good money management, not a bad sign.

It's not my fault other people blow their money on frivolous stuff and can't pay rent on time with more income than I have, so why should I suffer for their poor money management?

Old 02-21-2016, 08:17 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:

Don't you know that freemkt is like Mickey? He hates everything.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Each and every "Eviction" I have initiated required the Sheriff posting the court ordered notice of eviction on the front door... some vacated prior to the Sheriff's return and some were physically removed by the Sheriff...

The process was time consuming, expensive and required that I personally appear as owner or manager in front of the Judge... sometimes the tenant would be present and sometimes not.

As a matter of policy... I will not rent to anyone that has a history showing eviction.

An eviction is the end of a legal process... why would I not want to learn from past history and simply avoid the issue by renting to someone with a clean history?

In California a court ordered eviction is called Unlawful Detainer....

Fox six years I rented a room from a drunk who did not own the house. (Lack of cash sufficient to move in elsewhere held me back, yes I was that poor because I was crippled by a student loan garnishment.)

Everything was his way or the highway; he kicked out several who left on their own and he evicted a few. I was glad to escape before he turned on me; I'd hate to be unable to rent because an unreasonable angry drunk got up on the wrong side of the bed one day and decided to evict me. Yes, he's that unpredictable and he frequently makes drunken snap decisions he's entirely forgotten the next morning.

Who needs an angry unpredictable drunk who fights with his gf three times a week for a landlord reference?

Old 02-21-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

I love peace and quiet and solitude. Unfortunately those things seem impossible for a poor renter to have.

When you're poor all you can afford are rooms in overcrowded houses with drunks and druggies and domestic violence.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:46 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Recontact the property mgt Lady that helped you originally, perhaps she can contact the credit agencies and fax the corrected documents to the court where they dropped the ball in the first place...and possibly prepare something explaining the error that you can use immediately.

It might be wise to wait it out, while actively perusing your credit report corrections. It will give you and your girlfriend time to make sure living together works before you commit to a long lease. Plenty to do in your area...you won't be stuck inside..think of it as an adventure.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
LOL. I tried to rep you but something's wacky with my browser. freemkt is a cup half empty kind of guy.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:16 AM

1 posts, read 430 times
If you think your situation is weird, mine is worse! My daughter and I have been trying to lease a home in Phoenix due to a job transfer from Indiana! My background check came back with an eviction in Pompano Beach Florida..with the judgement occurring on July 20th, 2015! Yes, they found this judgement by using my Social and my name was right there along with it! The problem with this whole thing is.
1. I did not recognize the property address
2. I did not recognize the landlord's name
3. Yes, I did live in Pompano Beach, FL from 2001 to 2003, from there I move to North Carolina and have never stepped foot in FL since!
4. I HAVE NEVER HAD AN EVICTION!

Thus, I did my homework and researched everything I could find on this landlord, the property, and my alleged case! Here is what I found!

1. I TRUELY NEVER LIVED AT THAT ADDRESS! I HAVE PROOF OF LIVING 1 MILE AWAY THE ENTIRE TIME I LIVED IN POMPANO BEACH!
2. The landlord was residing in the home I WAS SUPPOSE TO BE EVICTED FROM! This was his primary and only residence the entire time I lived in Pompano Beach!
3. The landlord has been running a mortgage frauds on the home! One in 2002 & one in 2005. He would take out first time mortgages all over the country with each mortgage being much larger than the last. He would pay off the lower mortgage with the next larger mortgage pocketing the difference. The last loan would be for additions/improvements along with a 1st time mortgage to the tune of 300 grand! But the only improvement he ever made was to reroof the tiny 2 bedroom home! The last mortgage was always a government backed loan! Thus, he got forgiveness and assistance to avoid foreclosure! With paid off mortgages starting at 35 grand, he had great credit potential and trust FOR LARGER LOANS EACH TIME! These periods of mortgage fraud would last just 28 days. Just before any of these loans showed up in any county documents he had taken out a total of 7 first time mortgages pocketing over 600 grand in both 2002 & 2005! (County updates just 1x a month
This guy was running Total scam!
4. He had the court document sealed where he evicted me, thinking I would never find out! He asked for no money judgement! Reason? Laundering ill gotten money by a false rental history!?! Obviously, he is a devious criminal!
5. THE EVICTION WAS FILED IN 2015! DUH! I MOVED FROM FLORIDA TO NORTH CAROLINA IN JUNE OF 2003! HAVE NEVER STEPPED FOOT IN FL SINCE!
6. From 2009 to this very date, I have been living in a home I own in Evansville, IN

Hmmm! Just how can they fight me on this eviction on my record when I have tons of proof of where I was when? Obviously, this is a definite case of Identity Theft! The Question I don't have answer to yet: Was this really another scam run by the landlord or was there a woman who stole my identity and scammed him out of rent? WHAT SHOULD I DO? IF I FILE ANOTHER IDENTITY THEFT CASE, IT WILL BE JUST AS HARD FOR ME TO USE MY IDENTITY AS IT WILL FOR THE THEIF! I know because my identity was stolen along with my purse in Indianapolis, IN in 1998! It was a nightmare! Could it be possible that the thief from Indianapolis decided to move to the same small town in FL as I did years earlier? Too coincidental! Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this off my record? I cannot afford an attorney since I was seriously injured in 2002 in a strong-armed robbery, been disabled ever since. No! The thief did not get my identity, he was caught within minutes and sent back to prison! Disability checks do not go far, so hiring an attorney is out unless I am guaranteed reimbursement! I have plenty of friends who would loan me the money, but I cannot take it unless I know for sure I could pay the entire amount back quickly! Please advise! Victimized twice! First by identity thief, second by government who won't help catch the criminal nor help removed this obvious false eviction!

Old 06-30-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:

I've never seen a landlord have to explain to the government that they have followed the law regarding discrimination. Not that it never happens, I just have not seen it happen. I understand there is a "grievance community" out there hoping to profit from violations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting