Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 10:07 AM

36 posts, read 84,898 times

Advertisements

I've had my property up for rent for just over 200 days now with no luck finding qualified tenants. Then we recently came across a reputable insurance company seeking to place a family who was displaced from their home due to smoke damage from a small fire. The terms will be a 6 month lease and month to month thereafter.

Has anyone had experience with a situation like this before? What steps should I take to qualify these tenants? Would the insurance company issue the checks directly to me? And what things should I watch out for?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 10:18 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
I've never dealt with a situation like this but I would vet the tenants like you normally would and get clarification about rent payments from the insurance company. As long as you do your normal background checks and the tenant checks out it really shouldn't matter where the rent is coming from, do NOT put a lease in a companies name it can become impossible to evict or even go after damages.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:07 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
We have done this and as AZ Manager said, vet the occupants just like any other applicant. Our PMC will run standard checks with the exception of financial responsibility that isn't fully taken into consideration as the insurance company is doing a direct bill. (we still check the occupants credit to ensure there are no danger signs)

You will want to make sure all the details of financial responsibility is worked out especially regarding additional charges/fees and damages. Many insurance companies will not provide a security deposit as they self insure damages themselves. They also may not cover some additional charges/fees and leave that to the tenant to pay. Make sure you fully understand their practices as often they are billed when due but pay 20 to 30 days later on their cycle. You will get paid (we have never had an insurance company welsh on an arrangement) just know when it's coming. Basically, just fully understand everything before accepting the agreement so there are no surprises.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:04 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
My first question would be about how the fire started.

You screen just like you normally screen.

That's a short lease, so I would ask for extra high rent. Counting up on my fingers, your insurance tenants would be leaving you sometime between summer-is-over and Thanksgiving, just about the holidays when no tenants are moving for the rest of the winter.

Right now, you've only got a month before tenants start moving again. Do you really want to sign a lease that takes you right back to the beginning of the period when it is difficult to obtain tenants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting