Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 03:51 AM

12 posts, read 13,588 times

Advertisements

We are long term tenants and have been in our rental for almost eight years now. We have thoroughly enjoyed living at our house, and the owners (the world's best landlords who we have never met in person, but have worked with out of state for years) have wanted us to purchase it the entire time, but we ultimately decided to buy a smaller house because our youngest will be graduating in May leaving us empty nesters.

Question: The realtors who are preparing to list the home want us to remove various things so the house is less "cluttered." (We do not have a lot of clutter, but when selling the house, the less the better which we know.) Also, we WORK out of the home, so it is not always convenient for us to vacate for showings. Add to this, we have some extra things most people don't have (2 office areas, a lot of extra inventory and such in the garage) and did I mention two dogs?

We are more than willing to declutter (as much as possible) and cooperate with the realtors, but wondered what people have done to off-set the inconvenience to the tenant?

They have offered a rent credit of $100 per month for a storage (though the storage we'll need is $150)

I would like to counter and ask for the FULL COST of the storage AND a concession for showings (as I will have to physically leave the house (for me this means close the office) with the dogs, clean and declutter (our teenager is still here so that will mean some extra time tidying up, etc.)

We are 100% behind the sale of our house and will do whatever we need to do to support what the realtors want to do, however, we want it to be fair from our prospective as well.

Our rent is $1900 and the price point of the house will be around $400k.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 05:41 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Would you still be 100% behind the sale if they offered nothing more than a required 24 hr notice? $100 normally covers a 10x10 storage spot. You must live in a higher cost area. I would tell them they can supply a storage spot and give you access. This way it's all on their dime not your name no you owe me X months in rent, waiting to get paid after you pay etc. I wouldn't sign up for a storage in my name. They are the ones who want to do this. Truthfully they aren't really required to offer you anything more than 24 hr notice. It's most likely in your lease that they can show the house and you as the tenant cannot sabotage the showings and the place must be relatively clean and presentable. So if they want to declutter leave it all on them but as far as concessions they don't have to pay you to leave. I might go along with the storage concession but I wouldn't give you anything more than that. I have sold houses in the past but it's always empty. It's easier that way on all parties involved.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:29 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,572 times
You sound like good and caring people who want to help your landlord and the realtor. I wonder if either or both parties would accommodate you in the way that you want to accommodate them.
The golden rule is #1 but don't forget, it's your home until it's not.
They should absolutely pay for your entire storage fee and work with you and your needs re; showing the home.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:30 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
Since they are asking you to declutter and I assume the garage is not available to do that, I feel the world's greatest landlords should foot the entire bill for that. I would simply respond that a $100 storage locker will hold a good amount of things so you will be able to declutter a bit and let it be inferred that if they want more decluterring, they will have to fund a larger storage locker. If I were the landlord, I would offer to cover your costs 100%, including movers. You are doing me the favor.

I am not sure you realize the inconvenience that awaits you with the showings. If it were me asking tenants to show, I would reduce the rent something like $500/month or give some other incentive, like a $1000 bonus if there is an accepted offer the first month and $500 bonus is there is an accepted offer the 2nd month. Something like that.

I have had similar situations, asking tenants to allow showings for the next tenants while they are still there. I always make it worth their while. Dinners out, show tickets, reduced rent. Even though they are contractually obligated to show, I realize it is an inconvenience. They push a bit more, make the place spotless. Place re-rents quickly. Everybody is happy.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:23 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBeth View Post

I would like to counter and ask for the FULL COST of the storage AND a concession for showings (as I will have to physically leave the house (for me this means close the office) with the dogs, clean and declutter (our teenager is still here so that will mean some extra time tidying up, etc.)

I would suggest credit for your storage but no more.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I would suggest credit for your storage but no more.

I bet you're a realtor or something like it.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
I bet you're a realtor or something like it.

LMAO. Nope. I just think I'd feel pretty darn lucky to have such great landlords all that time, and I'd not bought their house, so them having to show it is partly my fault because I haven't moved out.

The last time I rented a home, the landlord decided to list it, and I had three dogs. She always gave me plenty of notice, and I always kept my house clean anyway, so it wasn't any big deal. I just went to the park and walked the dogs, something I should be doing anyway.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
LMAO. Nope. I just think I'd feel pretty darn lucky to have such great landlords all that time, and I'd not bought their house, so them having to show it is partly my fault because I haven't moved out.

The last time I rented a home, the landlord decided to list it, and I had three dogs. She always gave me plenty of notice, and I always kept my house clean anyway, so it wasn't any big deal. I just went to the park and walked the dogs, something I should be doing anyway.
You think the tenants should bend over backward for the landlord and realtor because they chose not to buy the house? That's it's their "fault" that they haven't moved out?
That's an interesting perspective.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
You think the tenants should bend over backward for the landlord and realtor because they chose not to buy the house? That's it's their "fault" that they haven't moved out?
That's an interesting perspective.

Didn't the OP state they decided to buy a different house? But they're still living in this one. What's wrong with helping this landlord out?

*shrugs*

I would choose to give back to such wonderful landlords. If you've ever had a bad landlord, you would understand.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Didn't the OP state they decided to buy a different house? But they're still living in this one. What's wrong with helping this landlord out?

*shrugs*

I would choose to give back to such wonderful landlords. If you've ever had a bad landlord, you would understand.
I've had both.

"Helping the landlord out"? They have been. They've been giving a rent check to them every month and being good tenants!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting