Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 11:46 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,495,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Ditto!!!! Same experience. Never, never, never, never live under someone.

Sorry, this doesn't help the OP. Trying to move to another apartment or just pulling up stakes and find new digs are probably going to be the only real solution.
Yup it's so true. having people clomp around above me just drives me nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 01:11 PM

811 posts, read 1,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidmotel View Post
Why would I talk to them? I'm not going to confront someone I don't know. If I did "all that" as you say, why would talking to them make any difference? It'd probably stay the same, or get worse.
This is a bazaar way of looking at your situation. You've turned yourself into a victim without even giving your neighbors a chance. Maybe you're right, maybe it won't make any difference, but why in the heck not go introduce yourself to them and say, "welcome to the neighborhood." Building bridges with people goes a long way toward causing them to behave respectfully toward you. Maybe they really are total a-holes, but you haven't even given them a chance, offered a warm welcome, and kindly explained what you're experiencing. How about, "Welcome to the neighborhood! Just wanted to introduce myself. These apartments are built so flimsily with such thin walls. Definitely let me know if you ever hear any bothersome noise coming from my apartment. I wouldn't want to cause you any frustration and I no how easily sound can transfer through these walls." Guess what, then you've not only stopped being a passive-aggressive, whiny neighbor who hasn't even given them a chance, but you've put the bug in their ear that you can hear everything. That way, when the shaking chandelier is too much to handle, you have built a bridge to kindly knock on their door: "so sorry to bother you, but I couldn't sleep a wink last night because of some late night noise. I'm sure you had no idea that I might hear you at all, but it was pretty loud. Just thought you'd want to know. I'd certainly want you to tell me if any noise from my apartment ever bothered you!"

The attitude that it's somehow not your responsibility to meet your neighbors and try to forge healthy relationships with them, is so silly and immature. Grown-ups talk to each other and show mutual respect. If, after that, your neighbors are still a-holes, then you can hold your head high when you complain to your PM.

Enough lecturing, here's a little levity. I hope this makes you smile, at least! It's so, so good (and reminds you that this is a very common situation)...

"Everyone's Upstairs Neighbors" : https://youtu.be/4IRB0sxw-YU

"People think of neighborly noise as a nuisance, but we think of it as an art form." LOL!!!

Old 02-26-2016, 08:14 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,044 times
you should have talked to them first or attempted to let them know your concerns

Old 02-28-2016, 09:58 PM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times
I know it's not an option, but moving out is the only real solution.

I never rent a downstairs unit after a horrible renting experience.

But living upstairs is no guarantee either. I lived in an upstairs condo unit 8 years ago. Unfortunately the family downstairs had the noisiest kids that stomped around and what appeared to sound like them throwing heavy objects against the wall. Since the unit walls and floors were so thin, the noise transmitted very loudly. Tried to deal with them personally, went to the H.O.A., nothing helped (they denied they were making any noise). I simply left.

That is why I try to be a considerate neighbor for the people below my room. I never stomp, I tread very lightly day or night, sometimes shuffling to prevent noise. I don't play my tv loud.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:53 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
WOW You did ALL that But NEVER Talked to them!
It does absolutely no good to talk to people when you're in this situation. You talk to your landlord and let him handle it.

Quote:
Yep you done made them mad. So I agree at this point talking wont help.
Made them mad how? By using earplugs and sleeping in the guest bedroom? Are you even responding to the right thread?

OP, I hate to tell you, but your best option is to move. You can't make people like this see reason and most landlords aren't going to do anything about it. If it's excessive noise during quiet hours you can complain or call the police, but again, it's unlikely to solve the issue. Most people who act like that will just retaliate by being even more noisy.

Alternately, never live below the top floor. Yes, you can still have noise issues from other sources, but you're less likely to "win" the lottery in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
That is why I try to be a considerate neighbor for the people below my room. I never stomp, I tread very lightly day or night, sometimes shuffling to prevent noise. I don't play my tv loud.
It's too bad there aren't more people like you out there. If there were, maybe apartment living would be a lot less miserable.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:32 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,797,937 times
I lived on the middle floor of a three floor apartment once. The middle aged lady above me was a heavy heel walker. She tromped around everywhere. I was miserable and going nuts for a week. Then I got the nerve to go talk to here. She opened the door and I mentioned to her that I could hear her walk around everywhere. I was blushing and embarrased to be bringing it up, she was blushing and embarrased about her noise. I hardly ever heard her walking again after that. Just talk to them...simple.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:37 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,797,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I know it's not an option, but moving out is the only real solution.

I never rent a downstairs unit after a horrible renting experience.

But living upstairs is no guarantee either. I lived in an upstairs condo unit 8 years ago. Unfortunately the family downstairs had the noisiest kids that stomped around and what appeared to sound like them throwing heavy objects against the wall. Since the unit walls and floors were so thin, the noise transmitted very loudly. Tried to deal with them personally, went to the H.O.A., nothing helped (they denied they were making any noise). I simply left.

Yes after my middle floor living experience, I rented only top floor units. I thought this would be the answer to all of my problems. Nope. Guy and wife below me had a baby. I woke up with them in the middle of the night when the kid cried. What was the worst was when the kid was just over a year old and the father thought it would be cool to get the kid a drum set....WHAT AN IDIOT! Talking to him did nothing in that situation.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:13 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
It does absolutely no good to talk to people when you're in this situation. You talk to your landlord and let him handle it.

Made them mad how? By using earplugs and sleeping in the guest bedroom? Are you even responding to the right thread?

OP, I hate to tell you, but your best option is to move. You can't make people like this see reason and most landlords aren't going to do anything about it. If it's excessive noise during quiet hours you can complain or call the police, but again, it's unlikely to solve the issue. Most people who act like that will just retaliate by being even more noisy.

Alternately, never live below the top floor. Yes, you can still have noise issues from other sources, but you're less likely to "win" the lottery in that case.

It's too bad there aren't more people like you out there. If there were, maybe apartment living would be a lot less miserable.
Perhaps YOU Missed this in her 1st post: " I've tried to give them a taste of their own medicine by playing my music obnoxiously loud when they're having one of their stomping fits, I've even hit the ceiling a few times with a broom"

Old 02-29-2016, 03:49 AM

544 posts, read 1,237,044 times
Quote:
Perhaps YOU Missed this in her 1st post: " I've tried to give them a taste of their own medicine by playing my music obnoxiously loud when they're having one of their stomping fits, I've even hit the ceiling a few times with a broom"
yes, and that is where op messed up. Never retaliate, especially without at least talking to them or ll. Besides, they probably don't even realize the extra noise op is making in " retaliation", and just going on with their lives.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:29 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,017 times
Quote:
They were making all the noise BEFORE she started retaliating, so what does making them mad have to do with anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting