Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 15,029 times

Advertisements

I know there's at least 100 forums on annoying upstairs neighbors, loud neighbors, etc and I've read through a lot of them, but I swear, the ones I'm dealing with are unlike ones I've ever had before.

They moved in about 3 weeks ago in the middle of the night, literally just pulled up in an SUV with out of state license plates and moved in suitcases, bags of clothes, and then later on pulled up with a small loveseat and a few chairs which was all the furniture they moved in. From what it looks like, it's a man, a young woman I'd say about early 20s (Perhaps a daughter) and a really overweight woman. These people never leave the apartment, they're pretty much home the entire day, stay up until at least 2:00 am lapping the apartment, jumping up and down (at least that's what it sounds like) and then wake up at the crack of dawn doing it again. In the 3 weeks they've lived here, I've probably slept in my own bedroom a handful of times as I've mainly switched to the guest bedroom to escape the noise.

The apartments here are all carpeted yet my chandelier shakes when they walk, it sounds like an elephant stampede. They drop things that sound like bowling balls or small weights all throughout the day, even in the wee hours of the morning, slam all the doors, I could go on forever. I've tried to give them a taste of their own medicine by playing my music obnoxiously loud when they're having one of their stomping fits, I've even hit the ceiling a few times with a broom, which I hate doing, but they never quiet down.

Going to the manager does nothing, and I can't afford to move right now. I really do enjoy my little apartment, I've lived here over a year, but lately it's become unbearable. I work mainly evenings and sometimes early mornings and I don't get any sleep anymore because of these people. I try to ignore them the best I can, I even sleep with ear plugs some nights and I can still hear them. I understand that this is an apartment and I'm expected to hear noise, but I honestly shouldn't be hearing such loud stomping when it's carpet. The people who lived there before were very quiet and now I find myself missing them lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 10:40 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
WOW You did ALL that But NEVER Talked to them!

Old 02-25-2016, 11:13 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,981 times
I'm really sorry this is happening to you. I feel your pain because i've lived through it. I vowed to myself that I would NEVERRR rent a downstairs unit (this was after my experience in 1984!!) I've owned homes, rented homes and apartments and never put myself through that again.

In my experience, calling people out on their noise only angers them more, makes 'em stomp and act even more obnoxious!! I hate to say this, but can the LL put you in another apartment?? I know, I know, it sucks to have to move again, but this bartering back and forth with the neighbors is going to be for naught. The noise will abate for a day, maybe two (while your nerves are on edge and become hypersensitive just WAITING on the next barrage of stomping) then it will happen again, and go on like you never said anything.

You can try confronting them nicely, but these days, it seems like if you say something, they'll say ok no problem. However, they think the confrontation was only for that "session" of noise, and they'll be right back on it within a couple of days. A lot of people have problems with the concept of "When I asked you to stop the noise, I meant FOR GOOD, not for just a couple of days!!!

Good luck OP

Old 02-25-2016, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 15,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
WOW You did ALL that But NEVER Talked to them!

Why would I talk to them? I'm not going to confront someone I don't know. If I did "all that" as you say, why would talking to them make any difference? It'd probably stay the same, or get worse.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:22 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
I find that it helps to blame the apartment for being shoddily constructed, instead of the neighbors. That way you don't spend emotional energy on THEM.

Then I would buy a white noise machine for your bedroom, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Marpac-Natural.../dp/B000KUHFGM

As you know, earplugs don't work.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:51 PM

151 posts, read 189,654 times
Really.. All you can do is move. I used to live in a god awful place. My upstairs neighbour was a welfare bum who never took her child outside. Her bratty kid stomped up and down the hallway from 7am - 11pm and I am not exaggerating. Beneath me lived an alcoholic 60 year old woman with a pit bull. Next to me? Drunk 20-something college kid who held parties every weekend. The landlord did nothing. The police did nothing even when our neighbour had a fist fight in the hallway. Nobody cared. So I moved. Now I'm happy.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:33 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I'm really sorry this is happening to you. I feel your pain because i've lived through it. I vowed to myself that I would NEVERRR rent a downstairs unit (this was after my experience in 1984!!) I've owned homes, rented homes and apartments and never put myself through that again.....
Ditto!!!! Same experience. Never, never, never, never live under someone.

Sorry, this doesn't help the OP. Trying to move to another apartment or just pulling up stakes and find new digs are probably going to be the only real solution.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:45 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidmotel View Post
Why would I talk to them? I'm not going to confront someone I don't know. If I did "all that" as you say, why would talking to them make any difference? It'd probably stay the same, or get worse.
Yep you done made them mad. So I agree at this point talking wont help.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:54 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,704 times

Old 02-25-2016, 03:19 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Usually give them some of what they are doing will make some people realize that there are other people. Sadly moving is often the only option as the people sound like a bunch of a..h....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting