Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 12:17 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

She was told 60 years ago she could live in her cottage rent-free until she died

Attorneys for a 97-year-old woman being booted from her Northern California home filed suit Friday to enforce a long-ago promise by the landlord that the woman could live there until she died, the AP reports.

97-Year-Old Woman Sues to Keep From Being Evicted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 01:45 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
Sad Story about a Greedy Person that wants to kick out an old lady that was Told thru the Generations she had Life time rights. Glad a Lawyer stepped up to Stop this!

Old 02-28-2016, 02:40 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,121 times
This was an inheritance that the landlord just acquired with zero cost to himself. So he literally loses nothing by letting her live there. This guy is one of the most pathetic human beings I have heard of. Hopefully she preveils in court and can live out the rest of her life in peace.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:01 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,585 times
The article doesn't tell the whole story. The landlord is actually the trustee in charge of the trust of his late wife's estate. He is required by that trust to sell the home by this summer I presume when his sons reach a certain age 21 or 25. He has a fiduciary duty to sell the home it has nothing to do with his personal greed. The lawyer who is taking this case is just grandstanding he know that he has no case. The oral agreement that this lady could stay in the home until she died is well past the California statue of limitations. And if they actually win on elder abuse that would set a horrible precedent that could cause landlords to stop renting to elderly tenants to avoid lawsuits.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:27 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
The article doesn't tell the whole story. The landlord is actually the trustee in charge of the trust of his late wife's estate. He is required by that trust to sell the home by this summer I presume when his sons reach a certain age 21 or 25. He has a fiduciary duty to sell the home it has nothing to do with his personal greed. The lawyer who is taking this case is just grandstanding he know that he has no case. The oral agreement that this lady could stay in the home until she died is well past the California statue of limitations. And if they actually win on elder abuse that would set a horrible precedent that could cause landlords to stop renting to elderly tenants to avoid lawsuits.
Thank you for clarifying that. This news article does a better job of telling the whole story.

Lawsuit seeks to stop eviction of 97-year-old Burlingame woman - SFGate

Old 02-28-2016, 10:46 AM

Not True She Does Pay Rent.... $900 a month. So she Not Living there for Free. Trustee or Not the Ex Hubby is just plain Greedy as he Knows that she was told she could stay. This agreement was passed down from Generation to Generation. And Everyone Honored it till the Ex-H ... I can see why hes an Ex sounds greedy & spiteful.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:20 AM

117 posts, read 129,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Not True She Does Pay Rent.... $900 a month. So she Not Living there for Free. Trustee or Not the Ex Hubby is just plain Greedy as he Knows that she was told she could stay. This agreement was passed down from Generation to Generation. And Everyone Honored it till the Ex-H ... I can see why hes an Ex sounds greedy & spiteful.
You obviously have a limited understanding of how probate works. He is required by terms of the trust to liquidate the property.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:41 AM

Sure He CAN Sell But She goes along with the New Owners! No Eviction is Needed! IF the Owners of my Apt were to Die I Still as the Tenant have Right to live here till the End of my Lease. So it You that don't understand!

Old 02-28-2016, 02:13 PM

117 posts, read 129,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Sure He CAN Sell But She goes along with the New Owners! No Eviction is Needed! IF the Owners of my Apt were to Die I Still as the Tenant have Right to live here till the End of my Lease. So it You that don't understand!
That shift key doesn't have to be pressed all the time.

And his fiduciary duty is served by presenting the property in its best light. A tenant occupied dwelling rented at less than 50% of market value will narrow the buyer pool.

Again. You comprehend little. The assholle move would have been to sell in 2006 at the peak of the bubble when he took conservatorship of the trust just to cash out.

I guess then the headline would change to "87-yo evicted".

Bottom line, life is hard. Free rides don't last long.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
This was an inheritance that the landlord just acquired with zero cost to himself. So he literally loses nothing by letting her live there. This guy is one of the most pathetic human beings I have heard of. Hopefully she preveils in court and can live out the rest of her life in peace.
The Landlord is not the person that inherited it... he is the father of the children that inherited it.

Also, it was not Just inherited... the person that owned it was murdered 10 years ago and had a provision for the woman that expires in 2016... so the tenant had 10 years and the terms of the trust dictate the property be sold...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting