Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 10:24 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Other things that I love, tenants have no use for. I've got a master bedroom that has a bay window looking out on the garden. No tenant has ever so much as glanced at it. I think that home owners and tenants are sometimes looking for different things.
Having been both, I can tell you the answer is yes. Most renters don't intend to rent indefinitely, and are looking for clean, safe, and comfortable, with a basic decoration scheme that will be easy for them to dress up with their own stuff. All those amenities are great, and tenants will want them someday, but the more they pay in rent today, the less money they can put away for a place to buy. Of course this will vary by location. People who can afford to live in San Francisco are going to have a different definition of basic than people who are living in Coos Bay.

Although I'd be a tenant who would absolutely love a bay window because I'm a houseplant freak!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 12:20 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I'd actually prefer NO garbage disposal - they generally tear up and are more hassle than they are worth.

Ceiling fans, especially on an upper floor unit, in the master bedroom and living room, are a huge plus. An ice maker in the freezer is all but mandatory, and most apartment fridges don't have those.

Newer model, digital appliances, even if basic. My old stove was likely a cheap model from 1984. It had rotary knobs, the numbers were faded, etc. It was beyond old and just showed the landlord didn't care to replace something

I'm not a fan of carpet - I'd prefer virtually any flooring but carpet. Animals, spills, and wear (leaving a rocking chair in the same place is bound to erode the carpet where the feet come down) are all significant with carpet.

I prefer all electric - no gas. Furthermore, I want stuff that is dependable and relatively hassle-free.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:18 AM

117 posts, read 117,091 times
I really want:
- forethought given to sound dampening, and not just between floors (stairwells are tunnels of magnification that so few consider to dampen, especially in formerly SFH that have been broken up into apartments)
- clean
- everything in working order
- updated heat/hot water systems (no five minutes only of hot water sized tanks please!)
- no carpet (but before laying new flooring, see #1)
- actual stove vents that vent outside over the stove, not those horrid ones that filter the fumes and blow them in your face
- please no monotone entire apartment in all one color
- hookups or W/D with unit is always best
- a shelter over the front door I have to fumble with my keys/groceries/et al to open

I also like:
- gas stoves over electric
- gas heat > oil > electric
- a well planned kitchen with decent counter space for baking some cookies
- a tub, even if it's not terribly big
- copies of manuals to things
- non coin-op laundry on site that doesn't require walking outside if W/D is not in the apt.
- being shown where the fire extinguishers are and that they are CURRENT and useful (haven't needed them yet, but it's still a nice thing--especially if it/they're not in an obvious spot)
- an entrance area where messy boots can go that isn't a main pathway to other often traveled rooms (Too many places have the entrance to a bath or kitchen that overlaps the "mud" area by the door.)

I'm one of those renters who doesn't need or desire new and shiny and HUGE cosmetics/appliances/bathrooms because all the websites say it's the hip thing. If the kitchen hasn't been updated since the 50s, but everything works great and the place is clean--WOO HOO. As others have said, renting for us is a path to ownership. Clean, reasonably quiet with low upkeep while being affordable is much more impressive to me.

Side note: If you put down dark countertops, please make sure the kitchen is well lit. We rented a place in LA with black countertops and what turned out to be sorely lacking "artisanal" lighting. I was constantly squinting at those countertops wondering if they were really clean or not until I finally gave up and bought some IKEA clip lamps. [Will never rent any place with dark countertops again.]

Old 03-11-2016, 12:22 PM

12 posts, read 22,600 times
Coming from a long term homeowner who is relocating and going to rent for year before we buy, the one thing that is so hard for me to get past is carpet. Carpet is just nasty no matter how much you steam clean it. The thought of renting a house with all used carpet makes my stomach turn, but I'm probably going to have to suck it up for a year :-)

Tile/laminate flooring is so much more sanitary and easier to maintain and clean.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:20 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Should had added to my comment about sufficient insulation and no air leaks. . . that if a tenant rents a unit where the LL pays the utilities there will be proper insulation and no air leaks.
iv'e seen tenants open windows while the LL is paying the utilities and they had the heat up to 80. so to me proper insulation don't mean squat. though if it was me id'e raise the rent to cover the cost of the utilities that there letting out of the window. I would never offer to include utilities. to me it's makes em some what more responsible if they have to pay them on there own

Old 03-11-2016, 08:03 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,731,166 times
Quote:
What else? Garage door opener? Dishwasher? Pantry? Work bench in the garage? Deck? Patio? Separate laundry room, or will machines in a closet do?

Those of you who don't want carpet, do you want the entire house carpet free? Or hardwood or tile in the living areas and carpet in the bedrooms?

Granite counter tops? Quartz counter tops? Wine cooler? Ice machine?

Fenced yard for the dog?
Built in dishwashers and garbage disposals.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:54 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
iv'e seen tenants open windows while the LL is paying the utilities and they had the heat up to 80. so to me proper insulation don't mean squat. though if it was me id'e raise the rent to cover the cost of the utilities that there letting out of the window. I would never offer to include utilities. to me it's makes em some what more responsible if they have to pay them on there own
It does mean squat if the tenant pays utilities. In most rentals, the tenants pay utilities, at least electric and gas.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:59 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I hope to never rent in another closed building with a key pad entry or electronic key fob. They don't work often and it's a pain.
^^^We had a Kaba InSync key and hated it. Half the time it wouldn't work (sometimes due
to temperature changes) and I would hear other tenants mumble words of frustration.

We have been homeowners for 35 yrs and the past 3 we have rented. I don't need much but
in the 2 apartments we lived in I wish they had this:
- a decent sized refrigerator unlike the cheap 18 cf with little storage if anyone cooks.
- for a few dollars more - a better stove (self cleaning). In our current apt. we did get a gas
stove but that too must have been the cheapest brand made. The burners rock back and
forth and it is difficult to turn it down to simmer.
- a double sink (deep) with a handle faucet.
- a choice of internet providers (ours is horrible and it is owned by the company that also
owns the apartments).
- an elevator or at least a service elevator for people moving in (it's a 3 story) and for
seniors or the disabled (even the bottom floor requires the resident to walk down several stairs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
Since we now have gas heat (which is included in our rent) there are some tenants who leave
their windows or sliding patio doors open when it's bitter cold outside (and this is when it's 30 degrees
or below).

Old 03-12-2016, 11:02 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,710 times
I prefer

No Pets
Hardwood floors
clean bathroom
Dark color kitchen floor
safe neighboorhood
Able to pay rent online
Able to make maintenance request online

Old 03-12-2016, 11:41 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
I know there are lots of renters that read this forum. Would you please give a bit of help to my future tenants and let me know what upgrades are important to tenants. When you are searching for a new place to live, what features make your eyes sparkle?
Nice hardwood floors(at least in the living room)
nice kitchen cabinets( I like the cherry wood ones myself)
Fresh non-white paint(neutral colors are fine, but I do not like "landlord white" paint).

And this is not an upgrade but access to an outdoor space if it available. I know in my current place, there is a small outdoor space for the building but it is not maintained so I can't use it. I would be much more likely to stay if it was useable(and kept in good condition).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting