Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 10:09 PM

439 posts, read 516,427 times

Advertisements

If you can't do hardwood floors, I had lino (I know! cheap lino..) that looked like hardwood floors. This was in a kitchen of recent rental.

I would never want granite because I personally do not care for it. Can I start a Ihategranite website? It's so overdone...

I would agree on the two-tone paint, white baseboards, beige walls idea.

Maybe a few light fixtures that are something nice - not extravagant, but not the cheapest ones at the Home Depot Ugly light fixtures from the 1980's are a turn-off for me.

If you could go to one of those stores that sells the *slightly damaged but still functional (I've seen them on home improvement shows) stainless steel fridge, hey all the better! I recently walked in to a rental with one -minor cosmetic damage on the fridge - but hey, it's stainless steel!

Or even black fridge/appliances.

Kitchen cabinets are a big one for me, too. I rented an apartment once because it had nice quality cabinets. Feels homey.

Last edited by sunburned_in_seattle; 03-14-2016 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 10:30 PM

439 posts, read 516,427 times
Default omg, that is the same thing that my mother said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Growing up my Dad said why would I get a dishwasher... I have kids.

Always kind of stuck with me... the most demanding tenants, in my experience, are those with subsidized housing and those renting high end places...

The middle just looks for a place to call home...
Um, yeah. I grew up in house with a broken dishwasher. My Entire Childhood. clearly , they could have afforded to fix dishwasher.

But my mother would always say, "I have four dishwashers," meaning her four kids...And yes we were.

Funny...when we all moved out, it finally got repaired...

Old 03-16-2016, 12:47 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Let me expand... we moved when I was 9 and the home had a dishwasher and disposer.

My parents used the dishwasher once... found it noisy and at first Dad could not figure out why we were out of dishes!

So going forward for as long as I lived there the dishwasher became extra storage for can goods...

They did splurge for a built-in GE oven stove Microwave in 1978... I did the install and it still works great... think it cost about $500 back then which was a lot of money... well, at least it lasted!

Old 03-16-2016, 11:43 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
It's been a long time since I rented, and I don't expect a rental to suit my every single need (not even owning a home does that). But what I'd look for in a rental is:
  • Storage, storage, storage, and lots of it. Closets, cupboards, cabinets, dedicated and secure storage spaces, sheds, whatever.
  • Ample parking, where appropriate for the area.
  • Washer dryer hookups if possible. Cable hookup.
  • If I'm renting an apartment, I'd expect the kitchen appliances, minus a dishwasher depending on the apartment itself, are included and would look elsewhere if I had to supply a fridge or stove. If I'm renting a house, I'd expect all appliances to be included, including laundry.
  • If there's no carpeting in multi-level apartments, I'd expect some kind of area rug requirement built into the lease for all tenants to minimize noise.
  • Fresh paint and a clean carpet when I move in.

I'm assuming that every place would have necessary health and safety requirements, such as adequate heat and cooling, windows that don't leak, adequate lighting in common and outdoor areas, evidence of upkeep in common and outdoor areas, etc.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:01 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,191,196 times
stainless steel appliances green fixtures such as LED lighting and DC powered ceiling fans. tile floors since it's easier to clean and you won't have the headaches of trying to get the cool aid stains out. and space LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting