Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 06:10 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Same difference. Furnished vacation rental of entire house VS shorter term air BnB roommate. There's certain personal items you won't want guests to be in contact with.

Not it's not. A furnished rental does not have your razor, shampoo and poof in the bathroom. It will have furniture and maybe kitchen items, but nothing personal like she's talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 09:14 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Not it's not. A furnished rental does not have your razor, shampoo and poof in the bathroom. It will have furniture and maybe kitchen items, but nothing personal like she's talking about.
You don't leave personal bathroom stuff in any AirBnB or VRBO rental. We all know that.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:48 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy5oul View Post
.....my boyfriend, with whom i now live, does airbnb for our spare room. i hate it. i hate, hate, hate having strangers in my house all the time. ........
Just a suggestion: if your boyfriend is so totally indifferent to your comfort and happiness, perhaps it is time to start shopping around for a new boyfriend.

If I truly hated having strangers staying overnight and it made me miserable, I would expect the man in my life to stop renting out the spare bedroom and to figure out another way to earn spare change. It's beyond disrespectful to demand that your partner be miserable all the time over something that could be changed.

If my partner didn't give a rip about my feelings, the change that could solve the issue would be me leaving.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
You don't leave personal bathroom stuff in any AirBnB or VRBO rental. We all know that.

Again, you didn't read her post. I suggest you go back and READ her post, word for word to at least get a simple understanding of what she's saying.

They say ignorance is bliss, but for those who deal with the ignorant, it's hell.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:14 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
Apparently after a major trashing by a client in Calgary, AirBnB was good for the damage.
Doesn't help the trauma, though.
In demand areas I can see if you own near where you live this retains control and use for a few days a month instead of leasing the place out. High demand areas and seasons only, please.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:31 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Again, you didn't read her post. I suggest you go back and READ her post, word for word to at least get a simple understanding of what she's saying.

They say ignorance is bliss, but for those who deal with the ignorant, it's hell.
No. You need to go back and read every post.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:17 PM

439 posts, read 516,989 times
I think airbnb "landlords" in Seattle are makin' bank.

I couldn't find anywhere to live (and by that I mean I looked for two weeks..) so I booked a long term 2-month stay at an airbnb in the Seattle area. To buy me some time to find a new place.
I consider myself an ideal tenant..but guess what I did the first night? background info: the homeowner has one small grey cat. I noticed her the first time I saw the place.

Then, when I came back later that evening, moving all of my clothes, etc. inside I noticed the cat was running outside. SO, I stood there for 10 minutes, begging the cat to come back inside, then finally locked the door.

The next day, the homeowner says to me, "By the way, you locked another grey cat inside of our house." It was a stray!! Her husband sometimes feeds the stray though..

It was a stray that had momentarily walked into the house when I had the door cracked open, that I begged to come back inside.

Do you know how much damage a stray cat could have caused? Esp. if it was an unfixed male who sprays his territory.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:21 AM

Quote:
No. You need to go back and read every post.

No, I don't.

We are not talking about every post, we are talking about one post, posted by a young lady whose boyfriend is renting out their spare bedroom on Airbnb.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:57 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
i think it's super weird. i have no desire to stay in someone's house.

i used VRBO in europe and had the whole flat. although better than staying with someone, i'd rather have a hotel.

my boyfriend, with whom i now live, does airbnb for our spare room. i hate it. i hate, hate, hate having strangers in my house all the time. i hate feeling like i can't leave my laptop out for fear it will go missing. i hate that people go through my makeup bag and use my shampoo (even though shampoo is provided for them). i hate people having access to my poof and my toothbrush.
I agree with your feelings. However, it's not YOUR house. It's your boyfriend's house. Don't like it? Move into your own place or pay enough rent that he doesn't have to continue getting money from the Airbnb room.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:12 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times
Quote:
i think it's super weird. i have no desire to stay in someone's house.

i used VRBO in europe and had the whole flat. although better than staying with someone, i'd rather have a hotel.

my boyfriend, with whom i now live, does airbnb for our spare room. i hate it. i hate, hate, hate having strangers in my house all the time. i hate feeling like i can't leave my laptop out for fear it will go missing. i hate that people go through my makeup bag and use my shampoo (even though shampoo is provided for them). i hate people having access to my poof and my toothbrush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Golightly View Post
I personally am with you on this 100%. My sister lives in a very desirable beach city and has a spare bedroom/bathroom she rents out regularly. She explained the process to me and it just seems invasive. She also told me a few stories that were meant to be funny-haha, but seemed to be just funny-creepy.
Yes, yes to both of these. There is no way I would stay at a stranger's house!! Even if they are not there, they do have a key and can come in at anytime. Also, you don't know who or what they are involved with. Problems.

I am really pretty surprised at how popular it is. It kind of reminds me of The Emperor's New Clothes - nobody wants to come out and say "He's naked!"

I'm also surprised in our security obsessed culture that people regularly do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting