Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 04:59 PM

13 posts, read 25,193 times

Advertisements

Thank you to everyone that has responded, positive and negative. Your input is valuable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't take anyone with an eviction. They are people who dug in their heels and refused to get out until judge ordered them to get out and sent the sheriff to physically throw them out. No thank you. They've done it before and I don't want them to do it to me.
I am a person with an eviction, I was NOT forcibly removed by the sheriff, I did NOT "dig in my heels and refuse to leave", I am NOT a deadbeat. I was NOT months behind on rent, I was NEVER LATE and NEVER mised a payment prior to losing my job. I am a normal American working class person. I made 45K a year, company I worked for was bought out, lots of people lost jobs, including me, my story is not unique. I had money and tried to pay, you should know as a landlord that you all do not accept any monies after court paperwork as been filed. I had money and as stated earlier, it simply wasn't enough. My landlord was a corporate property management company, Were unwilling to work with me considering my circumstances or even take the 80% I had, attorneys wanted their fees and I only had enough to pay rent and management fees. I could go on and on about my situation but nobody really cares about the details, particularly landlords. The just want their money.

Now I make more money and im trying to put my life back together after everything fell apart for me. I understand landlords like you see eviction and automatically deny because "you don't want it to happen to you" heck I DONT WANT IT TO HAPPEN TO ME AGAIN EITHER. This is depressing and embarrassing, now all I can do is make the best of my situation and try to rebuild.

Thanks for your response.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:48 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chips N Dip View Post
I am a person with an eviction, I was NOT forcibly removed by the sheriff, I did NOT "dig in my heels and refuse to leave", I am NOT a deadbeat. I was NOT months behind on rent, I was NEVER LATE and NEVER mised a payment prior to losing my job. I am a normal American working class person. I made 45K a year, company I worked for was bought out, lots of people lost jobs, including me, my story is not unique. I had money and tried to pay, you should know as a landlord that you all do not accept any monies after court paperwork as been filed. I had money and as stated earlier, it simply wasn't enough. My landlord was a corporate property management company, Were unwilling to work with me considering my circumstances or even take the 80% I had, attorneys wanted their fees and I only had enough to pay rent and management fees. I could go on and on about my situation but nobody really cares about the details, particularly landlords. The just want their money.

Now I make more money and im trying to put my life back together after everything fell apart for me. I understand landlords like you see eviction and automatically deny because "you don't want it to happen to you" heck I DONT WANT IT TO HAPPEN TO ME AGAIN EITHER. This is depressing and embarrassing, now all I can do is make the best of my situation and try to rebuild.

Thanks for your response.

You were evicted for failing to pay rent....you can't offer 80% rent...you have to pay it in FULL. That's what you agreed upon when you signed the lease. Being a landlord is a business..not a charity.

I'm sorry that you think you go a lot of negative responses, but the truth is you were evicted for failing to pay your rent. Stop blaming the property management company...your financial issues are yours and your alone.

Now that you're employed I suggest you focus on building up an emergency fund to avoid situation like this. Sadly you're going to have to find a private landlord who won't run a credit/background check on you and those kinds of landlords and units are iffy at best.

Good luck.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You were evicted for failing to pay rent....you can't offer 80% rent...you have to pay it in FULL. That's what you agreed upon when you signed the lease. Being a landlord is a business..not a charity.

I'm sorry that you think you go a lot of negative responses, but the truth is you were evicted for failing to pay your rent. Stop blaming the property management company...your financial issues are yours and your alone.

Now that you're employed I suggest you focus on building up an emergency fund to avoid situation like this. Sadly you're going to have to find a private landlord who won't run a credit/background check on you and those kinds of landlords and units are iffy at best.

Good luck.
I don't blame anyone for my financial situation, I take full responsibility for my inability to pay and I'm trying to strategize the best course of action for myself moving forward, wondering if paying the judgement will even matter since I will be denied at most places anyway. I'd never ask a business person like a landlord for free rent, would have been nice to be able to negotiate or at least be able to do a promise to pay note, would have saved them court costs and saved me an eviction but that was not an option. I was let go December 2014 and paid rent and bills for 2 months with my savings, I am trying to get back to that place again, the emergency savings is a great suggestion, I thank you.

I'm glad landlord responded, gives me a good idea of what to expect and how I should make the next move, thanks all!

Old 03-07-2016, 07:17 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Bankruptcy means you opted to not pay your debts, the eviction or bankruptcy alone are deal breakers by themselves for me.
Not necessarily. After changes to the code a few years ago, most Chapter 13 bankruptcies these days are 100% payouts -- meaning that the everything that is owed is paid back over time, in a strictly controlled repayment plan that allows little leeway for frivolity. A Chapter 13 bankruptcy usually means that a debtor is trying very hard to pay back their debts. If a debtor doesn't stick to the plan, then the Trustee can terminate the plan and the debtor may be forced into Chapter 7, where assets are liquidated in order to try and repay creditors.

The whys and wherefores of evictions and bankruptcies can sometimes be a result of things that a debtor has no control over -- medical expenses, which can build up quickly, losing a job, a divorce or abandonment where one party is stuck with the bills while the spouse/partner skips out.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:32 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chips N Dip View Post
Thanks for the comment, true Indeed. I am wondering if I file BK and rebuild my credit if I will be able to rent in a few year's Time with a higher credit score and cash in the bank for a high deposit. I know the eviction automatically disqualifies me in a lot of cases but im wondering if rebulding my credit after BK would even give me half a shot.
If you can avoid it, don't file bankruptcy. An eviction and judgement -- yeah, they aren't great on your record, but they have less impact on your credit than a bankruptcy. Assume you get a 100% payout bankruptcy, and have 3-6 years to repay all your creditors (the judgement might be wrapped into the bankruptcy so that it gets paid, too). A 13 bankruptcy stays on your record for 7 years after filing. A Chapter 7 stays on your record for 10 years after filing. You're talking a long way down the road to even start to rebuild your credit.

My advice would be to pay off the judgement. It will drop off 7 years after being filed, and will show as paid when you pay it off. The eviction will also stay on your credit report for 7 years, so you only have 6 years left. You can amend your credit report with an explanation to explain that the eviction happened several months after your were laid off of your job at XYZ Corporation as part of a downsizing/relocation/acquisition/whatever, so that if you keep your nose clean for another couple of years, the effects of the judgement and eviction will begin to fade. Not so a bankruptcy. It's the kiss of death, credit-wise.

Meanwhile, if you have a little cash saved up, offer to double the security deposit for a reluctant landlord, or even pay a slightly higher rent each month.

Good luck.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Unfortunately for me a eviction is a automatic denial, so is a BK. I just deny across the board as per my qualification rules. I don't know who is right or wrong in the eviction, why they filed for BK I decline the application. It's just a business decision. I dont do it maliciously.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:25 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

Good luck.

How come homeowners can do that? e.g. short sales, HARP, etc

Old 03-07-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
If you can avoid it, don't file bankruptcy. An eviction and judgement -- yeah, they aren't great on your record, but they have less impact on your credit than a bankruptcy. Assume you get a 100% payout bankruptcy, and have 3-6 years to repay all your creditors (the judgement might be wrapped into the bankruptcy so that it gets paid, too). A 13 bankruptcy stays on your record for 7 years after filing. A Chapter 7 stays on your record for 10 years after filing. You're talking a long way down the road to even start to rebuild your credit.

My advice would be to pay off the judgement. It will drop off 7 years after being filed, and will show as paid when you pay it off. The eviction will also stay on your credit report for 7 years, so you only have 6 years left. You can amend your credit report with an explanation to explain that the eviction happened several months after your were laid off of your job at XYZ Corporation as part of a downsizing/relocation/acquisition/whatever, so that if you keep your nose clean for another couple of years, the effects of the judgement and eviction will begin to fade. Not so a bankruptcy. It's the kiss of death, credit-wise.

Meanwhile, if you have a little cash saved up, offer to double the security deposit for a reluctant landlord, or even pay a slightly higher rent each month.

Good luck.

BZZT! Worthless and useless.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't take anyone with an eviction. They are people who dug in their heels and refused to get out until judge ordered them to get out and sent the sheriff to physically throw them out. No thank you. They've done it before and I don't want them to do it to me.

Bankruptcies depend upon what I see on the credit report. 99% of the bankruptcies I see are caused by overactive consumerism and a lot of purchasing of things that the tenant had no way to pay for. Once the debt gets really high, there is a bankruptcy and almost always, there is continuing accumulation of debt after the bankruptcy has been discharged. Again, no thanks to that. I don't need tenants who spend money they don't have and end up not paying the rent because they want to spend the money elsewhere.

I have only accepted one bankrupt tenant. She lost an extremely high paying job, could not find another job. Her house went back to the bank voluntarily, without a foreclosure. There was not one late payment on any of her debts. She used her savings to keep the payments up until the debts was discharged. She didn't borrow anything after the bankruptcy.She had adequate retirement and SS funds to pay the rent.
That tenant is no longer with me because she got back on her feet, opened a new business, and purchased that rental house that she was in from me.

Other than that one tenant, I have yet to see anyone with a bankruptcy that gave me any confidence that I would get the rent paid on time without fuss or excuses.

I rented a room from an unpredictable angry drunk who, at various low moments, evicted several people for no good reason. Good to know you don't care about the merits or lack thereof.

My credit is indefinitely trashed due to two old judgments from an extended period of illness and lack of income, and since getting back to work 14 years ago I've paid everything on time like clockwork. And no, the judgments are unlikely to be paid off on a minimum wage income while half my income goes to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting