Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 11:54 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,395,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
The eviction alone will be held against you for 5-10yrs.. cant see the BK making much of difference rental wise, but your credit will be in the toilet for at least 10 yrs.

Think long and hard about filing BK...can't you increase your income to pay off the bills instead of ruining the last shred of your credit? Some people here, well one, will tell you that filing BK will dramatically improve your life and make everything or sunshine and roses.....it won't. Think about it

It will help you though and you CAN recover from BK. I've personally done it.

If you need to file BK then do so and be smart to not put yourself back in the same situation again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 11:13 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,704,526 times
I can't believe people are still evicted.

Most landlords would rather you move out and lose a month or two of rent than have to deal with the legal work involved with evicting someone.

My dad does security and lock work and often gets called for rekeying locks of evictions and foreclosures for the sheriff. About 40% of the time, people are still living in the residence. Sometimes the residence is abandoned, but with personal belongings still left inside. And other times is it completely empty, but trashed.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:22 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,191,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I can't believe people are still evicted.

Most landlords would rather you move out and lose a month or two of rent than have to deal with the legal work involved with evicting someone.

My dad does security and lock work and often gets called for rekeying locks of evictions and foreclosures for the sheriff. About 40% of the time, people are still living in the residence. Sometimes the residence is abandoned, but with personal belongings still left inside. And other times is it completely empty, but trashed.
thinks that those people that are being evicted are biding as much time as they can before they become homeless. yet to only find out that it will only come back and kick them in the

Old 08-02-2016, 09:39 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

4. Those who check credit, but not backgrounds. This is the category you would be creating a problem with by filing bankruptcy. They may not know you had an eviction, so might be willing to rent to you if you had paid your prior landlord and showed a mature attitude toward your debt. But if you filed bankruptcy, in large part (which would be obvious by the timing) to avoid paying a landlord, then landlords in this category would deny you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chips N Dip View Post
Luckily and unbeknownst to me my eviction shows on public record but NOT on my credit report.
If you had read my #4, quoted above, I basically stated that. Evictions don't show on credit reports. Judgments do, if the landlord had sued you for money, but evictions do not. That is why I said if they run credit only, they wouldn't know you had an eviction.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:11 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,839,321 times
I would pay the judgement and just be honest when applying. " I had an eviction from not paying but i paid the judgement and heres proof of both"

Old 08-02-2016, 05:11 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I would pay the judgement and just be honest when applying. " I had an eviction from not paying but i paid the judgement and heres proof of both"

and you'd still be denied by many, many landlords.

The fact that your landlord had to evict you and get a judgement against you just to pay what you owe says a lot about you as a tenant. Just having an eviction filed, not awarded, would also get you a denial.

Of course you should pay the judgment, but if you had the paid your rent in the first place, there wouldn't be a judgment to pay.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
and you'd still be denied by many, many landlords.

The fact that your landlord had to evict you and get a judgement against you just to pay what you owe says a lot about you as a tenant. Just having an eviction filed, not awarded, would also get you a denial.

Of course you should pay the judgment, but if you had the paid your rent in the first place, there wouldn't be a judgment to pay.
ok?

The alternative is he just sit/spin and do nothing. At least hes trying and admits it was a screw up.

I guess youre pointing it out like we dont know how it works. Common sense says if you dont pay rent youre evicted and then have an eviction and an amount due. The OP admits to that.

You know what it says about OP as a tenant? Exactly what he said. He screwed up and is a little more mature and sees how it messes up the future.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Its not uncommon for the place to be left trashed/damaged or stuff left behind- why do they care?

Old 08-03-2016, 04:13 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
ok?

The alternative is he just sit/spin and do nothing. At least hes trying and admits it was a screw up.

I guess youre pointing it out like we dont know how it works. Common sense says if you dont pay rent youre evicted and then have an eviction and an amount due. The OP admits to that.

You know what it says about OP as a tenant? Exactly what he said. He screwed up and is a little more mature and sees how it messes up the future.
The alternative is that he finds a place that will accept him, live there for a few years, pay his rent (and other bills) on time and prove himself to be trustworthy. Right now he's not trustworthy.

Common sense isn't so common...read some of the threads here and you'll agree. It's great that he admits he was wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that his landlord evicted him and was awarded a judgment. Paying the judgment shouldn't ever be questioned...you should pay what you owe, when you owe it, and not force someone to take you to court to get paid.

The same applies to the BK; when you allow yourself to get to this point, you better be ready to suffer the consequences of your choices/actions.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
The alternative is that he finds a place that will accept him, live there for a few years, pay his rent (and other bills) on time and prove himself to be trustworthy. Right now he's not trustworthy.

Common sense isn't so common...read some of the threads here and you'll agree. It's great that he admits he was wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that his landlord evicted him and was awarded a judgment. Paying the judgment shouldn't ever be questioned...you should pay what you owe, when you owe it, and not force someone to take you to court to get paid.

The same applies to the BK; when you allow yourself to get to this point, you better be ready to suffer the consequences of your choices/actions.

If he paid what he owed when he owed it, he wouldnt be posting about it on here now would he?

There are horrid renters who deserve being evicted and shouldnt be rented to and then there are people who get over their heads early on and overcome it. Should you damn both? Apparently some do. Youll say " i dont need him/her, i have 10000000 other applicants who are better!". Good, have fun with them. Have fun with them and your perfect ritzy apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting