Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 03:51 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
If he paid what he owed when he owed it, he wouldnt be posting about it on here now would he?

There are horrid renters who deserve being evicted and shouldnt be rented to and then there are people who get over their heads early on and overcome it. Should you damn both? Apparently some do. Youll say " i dont need him/her, i have 10000000 other applicants who are better!". Good, have fun with them. Have fun with them and your perfect ritzy apartment.

No, you should only damn those with evictions/BKs/Judgements.

There are plenty of applicants out there without these types of issues and yes, they will find nicer units/area to live in. There are also plenty of slumlords out there who will rent to anyone...including those with evictions/BKs/judgments....but the units suck and so does the area.

If you feel this passionate, why don't you buy yourself a high rise and fill it with tenants who've been evicted, filed for bankruptcy and have judgements? Oh, throw the felons in for good measure!! Have fun in you tenement housing while I enjoy my ritzy apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 07:34 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If you feel this passionate, why don't you buy yourself a high rise and fill it with tenants who've been evicted, filed for bankruptcy and have judgements? Oh, throw the felons in for good measure!! Have fun in you tenement housing while I enjoy my ritzy apartment.
Yeah, because everyone who has been evicted, filed bankruptcy or has judgments is a scummy lowlife.

If attitudes like yours are the result of living in a 'ritzy apartment' I'd much rather live in a craphole.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:25 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Yeah, because everyone who has been evicted, filed bankruptcy or has judgments is a scummy lowlife.

If attitudes like yours are the result of living in a 'ritzy apartment' I'd much rather live in a craphole.

Again, the WHYs don't matter.

The bank, the landlord, the insurance company, the cell phone company, the utility company, car dealer and many, many others who use your credit/background for their approval process don't care WHY you have these things on your, record they only care that you do.

There's nothing wrong with my attitude. If I had two applicants in front of me you can bet I wouldn't choose the one with the eviction/judgment/BK. No sane landlord would; not when there are plenty of slumlords who'd be more than happy to rent to them. There are also plenty of smaller, private landlords who will take the time to listen to sob stories and may not run credit/background checks...they're a bit harder to find but they are out there.

Do nice people fall on hard times? Yes, they do. Do not so nice losers fall on hard times? Yes, they do. The thing about 'hard times' is this: it doesn't discern or discriminate. The end result of 'hard times' and 'bad choices' are the same and no, it's not always fair.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:14 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Do nice people fall on hard times? Yes, they do. Do not so nice losers fall on hard times? Yes, they do. The thing about 'hard times' is this: it doesn't discern or discriminate. The end result of 'hard times' and 'bad choices' are the same and no, it's not always fair.
See, THAT statement I can understand and agree with.

And for the record, I don't blame landlords and lenders for screening and protecting their assets either. But a good credit report isn't necessarily indicative of how someone is going to treat a place. I've heard multiple horror stories about tenants who were picture perfect on paper, but who ended up being a nightmare. Guess that's the risk you run. One of the many reasons I don't want to be a landlord!

Old 08-04-2016, 09:22 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
See, THAT statement I can understand and agree with.

And for the record, I don't blame landlords and lenders for screening and protecting their assets either. But a good credit report isn't necessarily indicative of how someone is going to treat a place. I've heard multiple horror stories about tenants who were picture perfect on paper, but who ended up being a nightmare. Guess that's the risk you run. One of the many reasons I don't want to be a landlord!
It can happen, for sure. We've had some of them ourselves. But the thing is, when someone does have really good credit, they are more likely to want to keep it, so if they do cause major damage, you are likely to be able to collect. Whereas someone who already has terrible credit is much more likely to just say "forget them" and file bankruptcy, because their credit is already bad, so what is a little more?

Being a landlord is all about risk management. Every tenant you take is a risk. Will they pay rent on time? Will they trash the house? Will they take care of the yard? Will the neighbors complain all the time about noise? Will they move 6 extra people into the house? Will they sneak in animals? Will they stay 10 years or break the lease and move in 2 months? Your job, if you are wise, is to choose the lowest risk tenant. The only thing you have to go on is past behavior. If we all had a crystal ball, we could choose people who had problems but now are going to be perfect. But we don't, so we have to base our decisions on what has already happened.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 372 times
NONE OF THESE PEOPLE HAVE ZERO CLUE ON WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT AT ALL. Bankruptcy stays on your credit for 7 years depending on if you file chapter 7 or 13. Your credit will take a hit but it will not matter if your credit is already bad. Renting it just depends on your landlord. if you are already discharged then show them that and you will just have t keep applying until a landlord sees you as worth renting, but you should be fine if you have a decent income and can afford your bills. These comments are nothing short of ridiculous! IDC how long ago these comments are some of you are completely clueless! I had to say something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting