Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 07:04 AM

630 posts, read 1,717,376 times

Advertisements

We have been in a rental through with a management company for 3 years. The carpet was new when we moved in. Unfortunately a bottle of gorilla glue spilled creating a spot about the size of my fist. We aren't renewing and I'm trying to decide how I want to handle the damage. Will they charge me to replace the whole room of carpet or will they just charge me the cost to have it cut out and a patch done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 07:32 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
If I were you I would find a professional to have it patched before they know that there is damage. Otherwise they are going to charge you as much as they can to replace the whole thing.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:09 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
It depends upon where the damage is located and whether or not matching carpet is available to patch.

That's some pretty serious damage and no question about whether or not it was tenant caused damage. I think you should be prepared to get the bill for replacing the entire room. Perhaps you will get lucky and it can be patched, but don't get your hopes up.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:13 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
they might renew the carpet every 5 years. they would only charge you the depreciated amount for what its worth now for the next 2 years. it may not be as bad as you think. Probably will replace the whole room though.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:07 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Call the glue company (back of bottle) to check if they have a method of removal of the glue. There might be a solvent you can use?

If not - you should check into fixing the patch by swapping with carpet that's in a hidden corner of the closet. Only if it seems that it will look good and be not noticed. Call a carpet company to do this.

Lastly - if they charge you they likely will do the entire room is my guess. However, they are only supposed to charge you a prorate amount based on how much life is left in the carpet. Life is either 7 or 10 years and counts years you lived there.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:32 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
I use the same carpet guy every time and they have a hard time matchimg after 2 years so expect to pay to replace at least the room. As others said they need to prorate and you only pay the remaining life but there isn't a set useful life guideline so most landlords use 10 years. If it was new when you moved in then you would pay 70% of the new cost to replace the room. They may try to replace the whole unit and you can try to argue with that one.

If it does come to a disagreement it is always in your best interest to pay and then sue them for the overage. If they try to overcharge you and you don't pay when they sue you the judge will award them something plus legal fees. But if you pay then sue the judge will award you damages and legal fees, again this is assuming they are charging you above what they are allowed.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:35 AM

630 posts, read 1,717,376 times
Default Door one, door two, or door 3

We are going to try to patch it. Nothing to lose at this point but the $125 fee. It is in a unused room so we are hoping the guy can match. So I have some ideas and would like others opinions. Now we need somewhere in the house to get the patch from. Options are...

Option #1 There is a closet that is long and deep with no light fixture that we could take from the corner. That will require going to Lowe's and finding a pretty good match to replace it which will be hard as I'm sure they didn't buy it from there.

Option #2 There is a linen closet upstairs that is 3x3 with a door. We could remove the carpet and replace with linoleum to match what's in the rest of the house. Of course finding it will be difficult. (Does it even have to be an exact match?) I doubt it would be noticed by the mgmt. company.

Option #3 The last idea I had is there is a nook in the hall upstairs. Our gun cabinet fits there. We could take the carpet up and install a built of some kind. The house has cheap white builder cabinets so putting something there to match would be easy. My question is what would typically be done after we move out. Would they leave the built in as we would attach it to the wall, or would they rip it out before it was rerented? I doubt they would even realize it wasn't there all along. They are a huge management company with 1000's of properties.

Thoughts?

Old 03-10-2016, 03:59 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
We are going to try to patch it. Nothing to lose at this point but the $125 fee. It is in a unused room so we are hoping the guy can match. So I have some ideas and would like others opinions. Now we need somewhere in the house to get the patch from. Options are...

Option #1 There is a closet that is long and deep with no light fixture that we could take from the corner. That will require going to Lowe's and finding a pretty good match to replace it which will be hard as I'm sure they didn't buy it from there.

How will you explain the missing carpet?

Option #2 There is a linen closet upstairs that is 3x3 with a door. We could remove the carpet and replace with linoleum to match what's in the rest of the house. Of course finding it will be difficult. (Does it even have to be an exact match?) I doubt it would be noticed by the mgmt. company.

How will you explain the missing carpet? You can't just remove carpet and replace it with vinyl because you're trying to hide damage. They will know...they have pictures of the house.

Option #3 The last idea I had is there is a nook in the hall upstairs. Our gun cabinet fits there. We could take the carpet up and install a built of some kind. The house has cheap white builder cabinets so putting something there to match would be easy. My question is what would typically be done after we move out. Would they leave the built in as we would attach it to the wall, or would they rip it out before it was rerented? I doubt they would even realize it wasn't there all along. They are a huge management company with 1000's of properties.

Again, you can't just change things to cover up your damage. you can't remove, add or modify the property without the landlord's permission.

doesn't matter how huge the company is..they will find your 'fixes' and you'll be paying far more for damages than if you just contacted them and asked them how to fix it.

Thoughts?

Why don't you call the company, fess up to your damage, and ask them how they'd like you to handle it instead of trying to hide it? They will find the damage and they will find your idea of a fix....just call them.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:51 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
If it's a home, check the attic to see if some extra carpet is up there.

Maybe ask the carpet company what's best. Maybe you can take from the closet corner and then replace the glue/messed up carpet in the same corner? First try to remove the glue per the below.

Did you try this method(below link) to remove the glue? You also might pulverize the thicker parts of the dried glue by squeezing the big dried chunks in plyers to break apart the big globs. They might break apart into smaller pieces which you might be able to vacuum out.

Here's another removal method:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7228333_remo...ue-carpet.html

Last edited by sware2cod; 03-10-2016 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting