Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 03:12 PM

106,560 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Hey, I **TRIED** to buy and lock in myt housing costs for the next 30 years. Smart is useless if you don't have (enough) money.
but the reason you don't have enough money is you weren't smart . smart folks don't make excuses , they make the things in life they want in life happen . they are smart because they find a way to make thing work , the rest of the pack just finds an excuse . YOU FOUND THE EXCUSE .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 03:38 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The best way to get an upgrade is to vote with your feet... the beauty of being a renter is just that... no long term commitments.

I had a tenant approach me who said she would be willing to $250 more per month if I would redo the kitchen... at first I said no... because I detest working in occupied units.

She said she was willing to sign a 2 or 3 year lease and would be away for 3 weeks in August...

To make a long story short... it went well... she was with me another 8 years and the only reason the new kitchen happened is because she gave me an incentive.
Not many people in the position of renting are capable of shelling out the various lump sums and fees involved by "walking" to a new place when they are unhappy with their current. It becomes a cycle many young folks get trapped in that they just can't get out of becuase of the cost of investment is too steep for them to just pick up and initiate that type of change.

Not everyone HAS the ability to work with their LL's either, If you are with a managed company or you're SOL.

It is going to be different situations from area to area where not everything is fair or applicable. That's the nature of anything free market.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:48 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You see it all over. Worse than expensive cities, where at least there is a churning economic engine and the possibility of getting ahead, look at places in Appalachia where there is literally nothing offered in terms of economic opportunity. But, people keep on keepin on, having babies and scraping by.
I'm from Appalachia, and while it's no place for the high achieving, it's cheap and QoL isn't horrible if you're low on the ladder and don't have the potential or desire to move up.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:52 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Not many people in the position of renting are capable of shelling out the various lump sums and fees involved by "walking" to a new place when they are unhappy with their current. It becomes a cycle many young folks get trapped in that they just can't get out of becuase of the cost of investment is too steep for them to just pick up and initiate that type of change.

Not everyone HAS the ability to work with their LL's either, If you are with a managed company or you're SOL.

It is going to be different situations from area to area where not everything is fair or applicable. That's the nature of anything free market.
Agreed. For me to leave my current place, it's two months rent with a sixty day notice, plus another two months rent, plus the loss of the $300 deposit - all told, roughly $3500. I'd then have to pay deposits and moving expenses elsewhere. I could put a down payment on a modest place in my area for this.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:38 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:

Cash is King and the laws in my State favor tenants, plus I am subject to Rent Control with Just Cause Eviction restrictions.

I don't know how much more tenant friendly it could be... it is to the point I have slowly getting out of residential rentals for commercial property because it is so difficult to get a bad tenant out.

As a Housing Provider I know failing to provide value is the kiss of death... my tenants will leave and my reputation will be shot.

Helped a lot of my friends move... get a UHaul for an afternoon, invite your friends a buy a couple of Pizzas...

If moving is unaffordable... the owner did no favors by signing the lease... I require at a minimum 3x the rent as income... living paycheck to paycheck is never good.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:58 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Did just that. Left my home in an expensive, non-business friendly area and moved to an up-and-coming one. Worked like mad to save for a down payment on a house, then bought one in a nice area that needed work. Funny, we closed on 7-31-11. We've done a few upgrades, but the house is worth 25% more than we paid for it right now.

Our only regret is that we didn't have the money to buy more than one house. We saw the writing on the wall, and jumped on the chance to get ahead.
I'm done buying now that the market has run ahead of me, but in the last 6 years I've had contracts on 7 properties and managed to close 3.

It's gonna pay off as long as I'm alive to collect the rent checks.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:08 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Agreed. For me to leave my current place, it's two months rent with a sixty day notice, plus another two months rent, plus the loss of the $300 deposit - all told, roughly $3500. I'd then have to pay deposits and moving expenses elsewhere. I could put a down payment on a modest place in my area for this.
Can you wait until the lease is up and not incur the $3500 hit?

Old 03-15-2016, 11:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You know, even I can save that much money in a year, and my income is $890/month. Can I move tomorrow? No. Can I move in a year? Yes.

Whine all you want. But, I have been able to move twice in 3 years by saving enough to move, with an income of $890/month.

I don't feel sorry for people who can't make it happen. You have to save, and you probably will have to move somewhere less than ideal, but it can be done.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Cash is King and the laws in my State favor tenants, plus I am subject to Rent Control with Just Cause Eviction restrictions.

I don't know how much more tenant friendly it could be... it is to the point I have slowly getting out of residential rentals for commercial property because it is so difficult to get a bad tenant out.

As a Housing Provider I know failing to provide value is the kiss of death... my tenants will leave and my reputation will be shot.

Helped a lot of my friends move... get a UHaul for an afternoon, invite your friends a buy a couple of Pizzas...

If moving is unaffordable... the owner did no favors by signing the lease... I require at a minimum 3x the rent as income... living paycheck to paycheck is never good.

And poor people without rent control are rent slaves?

Old 03-16-2016, 02:47 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I mean all this time spent on CD could be used to oh I don't know, get a second job, go to a trade school, get extra hours at work. All in order to get out of the situation they are in.
He'd have to be spending a huge amount of time on CD in order to use that time for other things. He might not have the energy or be in proper physical condition to work a 2nd job; 40 hours a week or physical or partially physical labor is enough for many people. Also, it's not merely the amount of time spent, but effort expended. I'd classify reading and posting on discussion forums as a very low energy/effort activity. Those kinds of comments sound good in the abstract, but without actually being in a person's shoes and having a full context of knowledge, it's hard to speculate in the about what someone can and can't do. It's definitely much, much easier to type out the advice than to be the one to exert the effort necessary to put it into practice.

I would hope that the ideal vision for this nation's economy is for people to be able to work a comfortable amount of hours while being able to afford a solid lower middle class or middle class life and without working like a slave.

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 03-16-2016 at 02:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting