Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:43 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Then go to the bank and buy a roll or drop by a laundromat on your way home from work and use their change machine. There are multiple solutions, one of which is bound to work.
No one said it was impossible, just that it is a pain. I agree. I can't remember the last time I went to a bank--probably well over a year ago--and due to banking hours it's rarely convenient for those of us who work. Change machines require cash, which most people I know do not carry in today's cashless society, and they dispense a disorganized pile of coins that is obnoxious to deal with. Rolls of quarters have a cost associated for businesses, and they don't want to just give those out and take a loss. It can be done, but it's definitely a hassle. Card machines are much more convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 02:13 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Still have some Kenmore Commercial coin op... never had a problem with a single one except for misuse like some kind of dye someone used and things like that.

They are older so no idea on the new stuff.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:08 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,538,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
No one said it was impossible, just that it is a pain. I agree. I can't remember the last time I went to a bank--probably well over a year ago--and due to banking hours it's rarely convenient for those of us who work. Change machines require cash, which most people I know do not carry in today's cashless society, and they dispense a disorganized pile of coins that is obnoxious to deal with. Rolls of quarters have a cost associated for businesses, and they don't want to just give those out and take a loss. It can be done, but it's definitely a hassle. Card machines are much more convenient.
God, I'm getting old.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:07 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
There are companies that will install machines in your building and maintain those machines. They do it free and split the income with you. I don't know where you are located but I am sure you can find them on the internet.
https://www.appliancewhse.com/commercial-leasing.asp

Old 03-27-2016, 09:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
We had a few... didn't see a nickle in 4 months... booted them out.

They said they had a contract... we bought the building and received nothing.

They would not budge... sent a certified letter saying the machines would be put on the curb on bulky pickup day and they came and got them.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:33 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Is it economical these days to get machines that read debit/credit cards? That would be a convenience. Before I had my own washer and dryer I drove further to get to a laundry mat where I didn't have to hoard quarters beforehand.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:19 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,712 times
Our building has a laundry room since not all units have their own W/D. There's a company we work with that provides the machines and they also provide infrastructure for the following:

- All the machines are on a network. You can go to a webpage and see if they are in use or not (before schlepping your laundry to the laundry room).
- You can pay with a debit card and select all the machines you want to start - this way you don't pay for each individually, you can pay for several machines at once.
- You can set up a text alert, and have the washer or dryer text you when your clothes are ready.

oh yeah - you can also put quarters in them.

The proceeds that the machines generate go to maintain a nice laundry facility, pay for the machines to be serviced if necessary, and pay the monthly data usage for the equipment. It's actually really, really convenient, and since they are large, fast, front loading machines - I find I usually prefer to just do several loads at once in the laundry room rather that one small load at a time. In a very short amount of time, laundry for the whole week is done.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:10 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Could you please also install a change machine in the complex. From experience living in a complex with a coin laundry machine but no change machine, coming up with the quarters is a pain in the **s.
Ha! Yes! Brings back memories. Quarters were like gold -- I hoarded them every time that I ended up with one.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:54 AM

544 posts, read 1,237,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Our building has a laundry room since not all units have their own W/D. There's a company we work with that provides the machines and they also provide infrastructure for the following:

- All the machines are on a network. You can go to a webpage and see if they are in use or not (before schlepping your laundry to the laundry room).
- You can pay with a debit card and select all the machines you want to start - this way you don't pay for each individually, you can pay for several machines at once.
- You can set up a text alert, and have the washer or dryer text you when your clothes are ready.

oh yeah - you can also put quarters in them.

The proceeds that the machines generate go to maintain a nice laundry facility, pay for the machines to be serviced if necessary, and pay the monthly data usage for the equipment. It's actually really, really convenient, and since they are large, fast, front loading machines - I find I usually prefer to just do several loads at once in the laundry room rather that one small load at a time. In a very short amount of time, laundry for the whole week is done.
this is awesome! some sci fi stuff lol.. what's the name of the co?

Old 03-31-2016, 12:29 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
We had a few... didn't see a nickle in 4 months... booted them out.

They said they had a contract... we bought the building and received nothing.

They would not budge... sent a certified letter saying the machines would be put on the curb on bulky pickup day and they came and got them.

I lived in a place where those items required a special sticker ($) or would not be picked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting