Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 10:18 PM

6 posts, read 6,199 times

Advertisements

I got a wrong bill from my apartment management for 500$ accusing me of driving the car over a lawn walkway which I didnt do. Looks like someone complained that people in my apartment did it and they sent me a bill stating "Repair damages to lawn". I talked to them and they are saying they received a complaint from a person residing in an apartment next to the lawn . But I did not driver my car over the walkway and not sure what to do. How do I deal with it? I asked them if they have any proof or pictures if it was my car and they say "NO". How to deal with it? 500$ is too big. What if i dont pay the 500$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 10:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
In order to levy a fine they need proof you did the damage. I would deny the allegation and tell them you're not paying.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:28 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
In order to levy a fine they need proof you did the damage. I would deny the allegation and tell them you're not paying.

Agree with this ^. Call their bluff and let them pursue it in court if it goes that far. They will have to have actual proof and obviously based on what you stated, they don't. Are you moving and they are trying to deduct it from your sec dep or are they just sending you a separate bill during your lease term?

Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Agree with this ^. Call their bluff and let them pursue it in court if it goes that far. They will have to have actual proof and obviously based on what you stated, they don't. Are you moving and they are trying to deduct it from your sec dep or are they just sending you a separate bill during your lease term?
They are sending me a separate bill during the lease term. I renewed my lease for another 6 months only last month. Now regretting for my bad decision.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:21 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalwart19 View Post
They are sending me a separate bill during the lease term. I renewed my lease for another 6 months only last month. Now regretting for my bad decision.

Yeah, just tell them you are not paying it unless they have concrete proof. Then stick it out for your last 6 months and leave at end of your lease. Be prepared because they may just wait and deduct it from your sec dep. In the meantime I would read up on your state's sec dep allowable deduction laws. Some states have only certain things that your sec dep can be used for but if your state doesn't then the LL (usually) still has to provide an itemized list of what they are deducting with receipts to back it up. So you may end up having to fight it at that time.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:23 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Send them a letter saying you did not drive over the grass nor cause the damage and will not pay for damage that you did not cause. Tell them to sue you if they disagree, if they ever keep any of your deposit because of this you will have to sue them to get it back. If it does end up in court they might bring the eye witness, but probably won't, they can't force the person to go.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:18 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
You didn't do it, but did one of your guests do it? You are responsible for damage done by your guests.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You didn't do it, but did one of your guests do it? You are responsible for damage done by your guests.
No. I did not have any guests. I thought about it too.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:57 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
I would send a written refutation and refusal to pay. State categorically that you did not drive over the lawn, and did not have any guests over at the time in question.

However, I will say that I had this come up once. Two properties had a shared driveway. The neighbor complained that our tenant kept backing over the grass next to the driveway. The tenant SWORE up and down that they never had and got quite offended at the suggestion. The problem continued and the neighbor installed video cameras and gave us video showing the tenant's vehicle backing a LONG WAY (several feet) over into the grass, multiple times on multiple days.

I bring this up to ask whether this location is such that you might have driven over it without realizing it?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:29 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I would send a written refutation and refusal to pay. State categorically that you did not drive over the lawn, and did not have any guests over at the time in question.
Yes! Emphasis on sending a written refutation and keep a copy for your records in case you have to address this again when you move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting