Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 09:07 PM

439 posts, read 516,427 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Question for LL: how much information do you give perspective tenants?

I (perspective renter) went to see an apartment on Friday.

The only information I have on the Landlord is a first name and a cell phone #.

Like it's some kind of drug deal?

I paid for the credit/background check, $39 in cash, before he emailed me the application, because he said that he did not have any applications on him.

I did this because - it's springtime in Seattle and apartments move really fast. Usually one would fill out the application and then drop off the $ for background check & application together.

So, Friday night he emailed me the application, I didn't look at it that night but I looked at it the next day.

Long sigh:

Application is just "too easy" About 2/3 of a page. Sure, he could probably get a lot of information about a perspective tenant from a credit/background check...but shouldn't application be a bit longer?

here's the part I really don't understand: at the bottom of the page it says,

"The undersigned hereby offers to rent premises on terms and conditions described herein and upon approval of this application agrees to sign a rental or lease agreement and to pay all sums due, including required deposits...

Then later it says,

"The Agreement to Rent or Lease and/or any addendums will be provided upon request."

Soo, basically I'm agreeing to enter into a lease "upon approval" which I have not seen (who would do that?) but I can request.

Long sigh.

The landlord called me today and asked me why I have not applied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 09:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
So, did you tell him why? It would be easy to change the form. And you can ask to see a copy of the lease.

The LL just sounds old school or new at landlording. Sounds a lot like my old boss (I was a resident manager). I didn't see any red flags. If you are concerned he's not the real owner, you can ask for proof of that, too. Get his name and cross-check it with the tax assessor's office.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:20 PM

well, I've never had to do this before...this "back and forth"

This process is not very straight forward.

I want to know at least the last name of the person I'm doing business with.

I understand *in this internet age* people want to guard their privacy, but I'm supposed to sign a one-year lease with someone a company - I can't google any of their information.

thanks for your response, NoMoreSnow.

addendum: I can't google any of their yelp reviews, or anything. I need some infos.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:28 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
I agree OP Sounds like Craiglist Scam. Go to the Tax office & Look up the address. That should give you the Real Name of the owner. then try & find a Pic to see if it looks like the person you talked to. IF it don't contact the local police.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:39 PM

But he did let me into the apartment, so...which was still occupied. (tenant not there though..just all her stuff)

Yes, will look up the address.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Did you try Googling the phone number? Or the email address?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:56 PM

Wow, there is no privacy in this day and age!! I looked it up by address! Tax assessor's office.

And there I see all sorts of info! WOW, no privacy.

He actually was just giving me his last name, my mistake I thought it was his first name. (who goes by just their last name?)

Old 03-28-2016, 11:00 PM

Yes, the phone # was just a cell phone.

The email address, which was how I contacted him, was the name of the property. (Sorry, that also disturbs me! Wouldn't you have a business professional email?)

Old 03-28-2016, 11:05 PM

I don't like all this secrecy...

Old 03-28-2016, 11:18 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,963,123 times
What type of rental premise is this, a small apartment complex, private house, large building?

You should always first check to see if the local municipality has any ordinance that requires registration of rental premises. If so, you can always check the registration with that agency. In some locations, registration often tell you the owners info, the property manger if they have one, how many units, any violations, and sometimes the legal rep or agent for the owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting