Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 04:50 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I can't think of any reason why it would be illegal. I'm going to guess that management is tired of too many people taking up space on the waiting list, not qualifying, and then getting hostile when they are rejected after waiting a year.

Not to mention, it is easier to guess wait times when all the people on the wait list are qualified, and the list is not a mystery mixture of qualified and unqualified tenants.

What if someone WANTS to wait a year because they know they'll need that year to game their credit score?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 07:31 PM

13,916 posts, read 39,191,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What if someone WANTS to wait a year because they know they'll need that year to game their credit score?
Don't apply

Old 04-01-2016, 07:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I know. That's me actually. Well, not "game" my credit score, but improve it. I think they'll still be okay with it now, and will accept me for their list. Then, when they run it again when an apartment becomes available, it will have improved.

UPDATE: I got a call from their office and the manager waived the requirement to come in person. Yay! She said as long as I'm comfortable with copying my ID and Social Security card to go ahead and send it with a money order for $33. She also said to just write up and sign a permission to run the checks.

So, it's all taken care of and in the mail. Bummer I had to spend $33 though. My budget is really tight while I'm paying down that credit card. But, these guys have been really on top of things. Good management. I'm really excited about moving there now.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:19 PM

439 posts, read 514,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I know. That's me actually. Well, not "game" my credit score, but improve it. I think they'll still be okay with it now, and will accept me for their list. Then, when they run it again when an apartment becomes available, it will have improved.

UPDATE: I got a call from their office and the manager waived the requirement to come in person. Yay! She said as long as I'm comfortable with copying my ID and Social Security card to go ahead and send it with a money order for $33. She also said to just write up and sign a permission to run the checks.

So, it's all taken care of and in the mail. Bummer I had to spend $33 though. My budget is really tight while I'm paying down that credit card. But, these guys have been really on top of things. Good management. I'm really excited about moving there now.
Wow, that sounds wonderful.

I was thinking about your situation - initially I couldn't offer any thought - but I was going to say that I would take the risk, since place sounds so ideal.

If LL credit check only is a few points to a credit score (good to know) than def. worth it, IMO.

Personal note: did you tell them that you used to manage apartments. Seems like that would put you as ideal tenant, am I right? At least you know how to run them!

Old 04-02-2016, 08:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
Wow, that sounds wonderful.

I was thinking about your situation - initially I couldn't offer any thought - but I was going to say that I would take the risk, since place sounds so ideal.

If LL credit check only is a few points to a credit score (good to know) than def. worth it, IMO.

Personal note: did you tell them that you used to manage apartments. Seems like that would put you as ideal tenant, am I right? At least you know how to run them!
Yes, I told them I was a resident apartment manager, because my old boss/owner is a landlord reference & employment reference, plus I have to put my rent was zero the last 8 years there, and explain why. (I was a paying tenant for 2 years, then they asked me to be the manager for free rent.)

This can be a good and bad thing - good to have the reference as a good tenant and manager, but I think some of them worry I'll be telling them what to do LOL.

The only thing I'm worried about on the credit check, is that my credit cards are maxed. My minimum monthly payments are not a problem, but the available credit to debt is not good. I plan to pay it down by the time an apartment becomes available.

If they deny me based on that - to be put on the wait list - I'll just reapply after the debt is paid down.

Mailed everything off yesterday, so we'll see what they say. I'll update the thread in case anyone wants to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting