Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 08:45 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times

Advertisements

Our lease is up at the end of April and we have planned on moving since the rent is going up 25%. I gave landlord 30 day notice that we are moving but now we are trying to buy a place and I'm sure that process will take longer than a month. What is the best way to handle this so I don't end up paying too much. I don't want to pay full rent for May if say we only will be there for week extra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 08:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
In a negotiation, you need to give the other side something that will make them want to deal with you.

If your LL is the type to not want to do any work or show the unit until it's empty, they may be willing to let you leave without another full month's notice. But if your LL is the type to want to show your unit while you're still in it, hoping for as little vacant time as possible, what you want wouldn't work. He'd want you to commit to another month, IMO.

Was the unit empty when you were originally shown it? That might give you a clue as to how they like to do things, and you could figure out your approach.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
In a negotiation, you need to give the other side something that will make them want to deal with you.

If your LL is the type to not want to do any work or show the unit until it's empty, they may be willing to let you leave without another full month's notice. But if your LL is the type to want to show your unit while you're still in it, hoping for as little vacant time as possible, what you want wouldn't work. He'd want you to commit to another month, IMO.

Was the unit empty when you were originally shown it? That might give you a clue as to how they like to do things, and you could figure out your approach.
The unit was empty when we saw the place. We have had about 3 other people move out in the last couple of months and they waited until they were empty, painted and cleaned before showing them. The only downside is this LL is a nightmare of a human being. They are basically raising our rent 25% because I complain to her too much about things that are wrong with the unit and the building. She has also been sued by a couple of former tenants for withholding security deposit so I''m worried about giving her too much of my money.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:29 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Calculate what the new monthly rate is and pay an extra month. Otherwise you will be in a battle and more stress than needed. Approach the LL with the offer of paying one month at the new rate in order to make sure your house purchase is completed.
Less stress for both. Don't get into an argument and cause an eviction to go on your record when you are trying to get a mortgage.
Keep it simple and approach the issue with a smile. Best of luck in your own new digs.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:11 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
If you can, try and get your landlord’s written permission to stay longer. If you stay past the day that you give notice to vacate, even for a day, your landlord can legally charge you rent for the entire following month.

Some landlords will agree to prorate the rent if you want to stay a few extra days, or if you move out sometime in the middle of the month, but they are not legally obligated to do so.

There is no law requiring that landlords prorate the rent for days or partial months that tenants occupy the unit. If you do need to stay past your notice date, it’s a good idea to get a written agreement with your landlord stating the number of days you’ll be staying, and agreeing upon the amount you’ll be charged for those days.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:16 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Pay for the month. When is your closing date on your new place? I'd add 2 weeks onto that, as far as how long to pay rent, to allow for closing delays and time to move and clean old apt.
If you don't have a place under contract then add 2 1/2 mo. 10 days or so for negotiations, 45-60 days to close and a couple weeks for clean up, closing delays and moving.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:24 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
All you can do is talk to your landlord.

Be aware that a 30 day notice means you will be out in 30 days. It doesn't mean you will be out sometime in the future, date unknown, whenever it happens to be convenient for you.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
As already mentioned, you gave notice that you will be out on X date so your landlord can hold you to that date. They are under no obligation to extend if they don't want too. If they do extend, make sure it;s in writing and that you fully understand all the terms and conditions. If they don't extend, you need to get out as they can start the legal eviction process on the first day you remain without permission.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:29 PM

thanks everyone. Guess I jumped the gun on giving notice. I'll talk to them once my timeline is more clear and see what they want to do. Considering they have 3 vacant units that have been on the market for a month and they are increasing my rent by $400/mo I would think they'd be happy to let me stay for another month or two

Old 04-02-2016, 07:23 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
thanks everyone. Guess I jumped the gun on giving notice. I'll talk to them once my timeline is more clear and see what they want to do. Considering they have 3 vacant units that have been on the market for a month and they are increasing my rent by $400/mo I would think they'd be happy to let me stay for another month or two
Since you admitted that you've been a tenant who complained a lot (which resulted in the 25 % rent increase), I wouldn't be so sure that the landlord is gonna be so happy to let you stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting