Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 10:01 PM

439 posts, read 516,530 times

Advertisements

Would you move into a house that was recently broken into...hoping that it was just a one-time thing? Yes? No?

Not exactly a selling point.

LL thinks it was because of all of the pictures posted on Craigslist, which she removed.

This would be a roommate situation. The more roommates, the safer it is anyway, right?

I guess it doesn't bother me, because it was just a youth, he broke in during daytime, and he didn't take anything.

or later am I going to be afraid to be at home alone? I don't know!

although the block is *not the best block* really. I wish the house was located just one block over, it's nicer. So-so neighborhood.

I would be *a little* worried about my car on this block - I'm planning to get a new/used one in the next few weeks because I don't want to pay $1,000 to fix my current car. I thought I would just get "the Club" for vehicle.

I'm kinda tired of searching for housing though...I've hit the wall so-to-speak..

Other than the break-in, this place checks a lot of the boxes as far as location for work and not too many roommates.

2.5 bathrooms in the house for three people to share = enough bathrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 10:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I wouldn't want to live where a kid just broke in. I guess I'd figure he or his buddies would be back.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:35 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Hard to say... lots more of that going on... up scale and not.

The home my parents bought had been broken into a week before escrow closed... it's been 45 years and no repeats.

I know some that have invested in safes... or bank type filing cabinets... a pain to move... but no one is going to do a smash and grab.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:38 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Kids breaking into an empty house? Wouldn't bother me.

Normally, break-ins are done by people who know the victim. If you don't have any acquaintances who are burglars, you are probably safe enough.

If the house was a drug house and old clients kept breaking in, I'd pass. If it was a home invasion, I'd not only pass, I'd look fora better neighborhood.

If you don't feel safe leaving your car on the street, maybe the break-in is not the most serious issue with the location..

Old 04-03-2016, 11:21 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,757,953 times
The house I moved into was broken into right before I rented it. I found out because when I looked at the listing of the property, it had all of the appliances included (dishwasher, stove, fridge, washer/dryer). However, upon walking through the house, the fridge, washer/dryer was missing, plus, the back Arcadia window had recently been smashed in. The PM then said the house was broken into not once, but twice because the house sat vacant for six months. I still rented it. It was a nice house.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:27 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I dunno. In my old age I believe in what Opra used to say: Believe the first red flag.

Cuz if you don't, it will usually bite you in the butt.

Of course, there are exceptions. But, erring on the side of caution doesn't usually do you wrong.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
...If you don't feel safe leaving your car on the street, maybe the break-in is not the most serious issue with the location..

Yes, true.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:48 AM

Just tired of looking...and kinda hit "the wall" as far as searching.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:15 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
If it helps in your search at all, there are websites such as spotcrime.com where you can look up all police reports zeroed in on a particular street or area. You can't zone in on a particular residence address per se however, you can on an area or street. It will just block out the residence number. I get daily reports on this one and I request a 2 - 5 mile radius of my address. This way you will know if an area in general is bad or has had a lot of police reports. It will give you a general description of what the police call was for; assault, burglary, robbery, domestic disturbance, etc. You can use this site now for any areas that you are currently looking to rent in.

I don't belong to nextdoor.com but I have heard it is a good site once you are actually living in an area and have an established address. It is like a neighborhood watchdog program and you have to register with your actual address so this one will not work for you while you are looking however, it is a good site to use for an area you are living in.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 04-03-2016 at 12:25 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 09:04 AM

305 posts, read 568,935 times
On a side note, I wouldn't necessarily say more roommates = safer. Certainly you may be less likely to be broken into because the apartment could be occupied more often, and more people may be more intimidating for a break in when the unit is occupied. However all of this only works when everyone is equally responsible.

When I last lived with roommates it was a pain to make sure that everyone always locked the door. One would go out with the door unlocked because he thought someone else was still home, etc. And we finally did have a break in because one of them often left their windows unlocked and their curtains open, so all their valuables were in plain view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting