Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:16 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,195 times

Advertisements

If the health department documents problems with the place, you should look into what recourse, if any, you have on getting some rent returned to you. If it really is that bad, then he isn't keeping up on his end of the bargain when it comes to providing you with an appropriately habitable place to live. I don't think the cold water issue will mean much to the health department though; I think your best bet would be to demonstrate a pervasive pest/bug problem that the landlord has failed to take suitable efforts in rectifying despite numerous complaints (if that is accurate).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:45 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
I feel really sorry for you and I'm a Landlord but have only very new homes or townhome for rent so i don't have this issue. The other day I had a older lady coming to see my property which she was interested in to rent. She asked me about the noise from the neighbors specially about the bedroom sounds. Since I just bought it I told her that I didn't know but the home next door was empty so that shouldn't be a problem. It is a gated community with no neihbors back or in front of this home, so pretty quiet. She wanted to know about the noise from the cars in the back master bedroom. I told her I would leave alone in the master bedroom so she could hear it for her self. This is a conservation lot with a pond in the back and behind it trees. 4 Homes away to the side there is the street and only residents are driving there so an average of 1 car every 15 min. is driving there. So I was like what is she talking about. She asked more questions about noise, etc. so after 15 min. to be honest I was hoping she would leave and would keep on searching for another home. Because if it starts like this I will assume to get a lot of trouble if she ever will hear one sound. She asked for an application which I gave and so far haven't heard back.....Meanwhile I have some one else who wants to move in so that is great.

I'm not saying that your like this older lady, I really feel awful about what you have to go through. To me I wouldn't stay and live amongst roaches or what else will crawl and is called a bug. I live in Florida and we have a lot of bugs but the onces that now and than will get in your house is the normal musquito (when you don't close the door fast enough), love bug, etc, but roaches ...rrrrr..I would go and discuss it with your landlord and try to reason with himand get information about if he will deny you if you have the right to report him or just move out without getting into trouble. Maybe you can get a physician to write a letter how bad it is for your health. Good Luck

Old 03-11-2008, 05:35 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Oh I am sure he knows. That old lady sounds annoying. I have gotton used to trains that run right behind the building...But hearing people doing it like its right in my unit is just gross. Its not normal apartment building level. Its like its happening right on my coffee table.

People have been being tidy about the trash thing
The bright light was finally replaced right outside my door...Now that I think about it the time it went onthe fritz was august. So maybe the bugs were walking under my door because it was dark there.

We are going to look this week so I am hoping all goes well.
The one thing that will be nice about this move is that I am pretty much throwing everything away so I dont take bugs along. I really wonder if all the roach horror stories are from people that are a lot dirtier than they think they are. I mean the egg sacks are the size ofa piece of corn...How do you miss that?

Fogging and sealing everything for 90 days just to make sure. It will be nice to be basic and feel a fresh start again.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:49 AM

288 posts, read 1,555,127 times
Please PM me the name of this place so I can avoid it! I tried to contact you, but I couldn't.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:29 AM

Its in pittsburgh.

After I move I am posting the address here and in the pittsburgh forum.

Last edited by pitt_transplant; 03-11-2008 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 AM

Just reason another reason I am just moving and not bothering to be an a-hole about this place:

The one person that lives on the first level of this building had her window smashed out by some kids. This was the second time it happened. The LL seems to have enough problems here. Im not adding to that. Dirty tenants, vandals, people that run out on him.
I really do feel badly for him.

I really dont want rent back or anything. My paticular unit was not infested because I keep it really clean and cold so they dont lounge here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting