Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:58 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times

Advertisements

I have been renting for 20 years in 3 states and never have I got a 2 page detailed list about cleaning every room before I vacate in order to have my deposit returned. Is this normal or legal?

I have had $200-300 deducted for cleaning fees from other management companies even when I leave the place broom clean. This owner apparently expects us to do a deep cleaning. Isn't that part of her normal turn over process? I wouldn't be concerned but she has been sued by former tenants for withholding deposits.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 01:08 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Oh, the horror! A landlord telling you *exactly* what needs to be done in order to get your deposit back! :-)

Ask your landlord. She probably has a cleaner she can recommend. You seem willing to pay to have it done.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
What are the security deposit laws where you live?

Old 04-09-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
California law specifically allows the landlord to use a tenant's security deposit for four purposes:

For unpaid rent;
For cleaning the rental unit when the tenant moves out, but only to make the unit as clean as it was when the tenant first moved in;214
For repair of damages, other than normal wear and tear, caused by the tenant or the tenant's guests; and
If the lease or rental agreement allows it, for the cost of restoring or replacing furniture, furnishings, or other items of personal property (including keys), other than because of normal wear and tear.215

Old 04-09-2016, 01:22 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,700,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
California law specifically allows the landlord to use a tenant's security deposit for four purposes:

For unpaid rent;
For cleaning the rental unit when the tenant moves out, but only to make the unit as clean as it was when the tenant first moved in;214
For repair of damages, other than normal wear and tear, caused by the tenant or the tenant's guests; and
If the lease or rental agreement allows it, for the cost of restoring or replacing furniture, furnishings, or other items of personal property (including keys), other than because of normal wear and tear.215

Correct, so you need to leave the unit as clean as when you moved in. And if it wasn't clean when you moved in, then you should have indicated that on your check-in sheet and taken good pictures so you have proof.

The list may look long but it is common sense cleaning to get the place as clean as when you moved in less any normal wear and tear. It is a great list and a good practice by the way.

As far as LL doing it as part of their regular turn-over process - no. Turn-over is for necessary painting and repairing/replacing of any damage, etc.

I suggest you hire someone to do it if you can't or don't want to. The LL may or may not charge you a lot more to have it done and deducted from your sec dep.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 04-09-2016 at 02:43 PM..

Old 04-09-2016, 01:26 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,266 times
I think it's a good idea and may use it in the future. Everyone is aware of what the landlord expects for cleanliness so there shouldn't be any issues later on.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

OP is in CA, btw.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:47 PM

I also expected her to fix several thinks like AC unit that flooded the hallway three times in one year, water pressure that barely dribbles out of one bathroom sink and intercom that have never worked but she's refused. But she did put new carpet and paint in the common areas and jack our rent up $400/mo

Old 04-09-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I also expected her to fix several thinks like AC unit that flooded the hallway three times in one year, water pressure that barely dribbles out of one bathroom sink and intercom that have never worked but she's refused. But she did put new carpet and paint in the common areas and jack our rent up $400/mo

If you are moving now then unfortunately none of that matters now after the fact as far as you sec dep is concerned. If you had issues with things not being addressed you should have addressed them and worked something out with the LL at that time. None of that appears to be habitability issues unless the AC flooding may have caused mold issues that would have caused the place uninhabitable. But it sounds like, from what you stated, that LL replaced the carpet, etc that was caused from the AC flooding.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 04-09-2016 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-09-2016, 02:35 PM

232 posts, read 1,653,688 times
I don't really see this list as excessive. It may be longer than a list that says "clean all floors, walls, and appliances" but technically, it's not. It just gives you a breakdown of exactly what is considered your responsibility and the correct procedure for cleaning each appliance/room.

If you clean reasonably well each week, this list really shouldn't take very long to complete. You may actually want to adapt this list as a personal cleaning chart. Some things (like pulling fridge/stove out) don't need to be done more than every few months, but other things are easy to do on a weekly basis, like cleaning fridge gaskets. Cleaning the bathtub really shouldn't be difficult if you wipe it down frequently, but may take heavier scrubbing if dirt and such has been allowed to build up.

ETA: I'm also not sure if I would consider this to be "deep" cleaning - which I would consider to be things like removing air vents and scrubbing them (and the walls behind them), scrubbing baseboards, cleaning the outside of the windows as well as window screens, etc. This all seems reasonably basic stuff that shouldn't take too long to complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting